barbidollcriolabarbidollcriola Posts: 49Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Maxwell.jpg
maxwell_l.jpg009248_32.jpgmaxwell.jpgmaxwell_01.jpg

Comments

• dc05dc05 Posts: 275Registered Users
    Umm. Looks like 4a *ish* to me. Either way its lush and thick. :happy8:
    :blob8:24 Months Post Relaxer :blob8:

*Length : BSB (Below Shoulder Blade)/ Brastrap Length
    *Long term goal: TB length (stretched of course)
    *Short tern goal: Mid-back length (stretched -- by June 2011) / Shoulder length (FULL) curly:glasses2:
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Gosh, I LOVED his hair when it was grown out that way... just gorgeous!

BUT... I've never thought of him as having 3c hair. To me he looks like he has 4a hair. His curl circumference (sp?) looks to small to be 3c.

I was sad he cut his hair all off.. but hey.. as they say change is good. He still looks nice. :) But that hair.. wow.. really made him stand out.. so handsome!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    Here is a woman on YT that has hair you can see clearly and in movement.. it's 3c hair...pretty different than Maxwell's hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3MCOIu-lbc
  • barbidollcriolabarbidollcriola Posts: 49Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    theres this girl in maxwell's video get to know ya at 3:28 to 3:50 would that be an example of 3c hair or is it 3c/4a hair??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8WYwE3LUI
    It's really difficult to tell because it looks like her hair is picked out a lot.. and I am not even sure that's actually her hair.. The little bit of defined wave/curl I could see at the crown looked larger than 3c curls. But the rest is so picked out or whatever it's hard to tell from what I could see.

The woman I posted the link to from the YT video has 3c hair.. it can't get any clearer than that..LOL! You can see the curl pattern clearly. Her hair doesn't exactly spiral but it is 3c hair. Not all 3c hair spirals.

Here's another lady with 3c hair from YT and her hair has more of a spiral:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3SUQcI68E

Here's another lady with 3c hair and her hair has even more of a spiral:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xJGi1Eawwc

Hair types tighter than these curls are normally in the 4 category.
  • jeweldjeweld Posts: 140Registered Users
    definitely 4a, Mmmm... he was soo yummy with it too.
    Poo: Giovanni TTT
    CoWash/Detangler: Any Suave on top of VO5, Yes to Cucumbers
    DT: Aubrey Organics White Camellia, Amla/ Coconut milk, Castor oil
    Styling Products: Yes to Cucumbers, EcoStyler, Longaid Curl Activator,
    Daily Moisture: Hibiscus tea+Aubrey Organics White Camellia Spritz, Yes to Cucumbers, Homemade Whipped Avocado+ Green Tea Creme
    Seal w/ Dabur Vatika Oil, Castor oil

It's 4a like I said in the other post you made about this.. I don't see what would make this woman's hair a 3c/4a combo.

Why do you keep asking this ? Are you trying to identify what type you own hair is ???
    i ask bcuz i want more than one person's explanation and opinion to learn about curl pattern.....but YOURE always the one answering my questions....
    she has to have some 3c in there most of her curls are bigger than coffee stirrer circumference which would be the size of a 4a curl...there about the circumference of a pencil or straw....
    type 3C, is hair with tight curls in corkscrews. The curls can be either kinky, or very tightly curled, with lots and lots of strands densely packed together. Some people refer to this as "big hair." Getting this type of hair to blowdry straight is more challenging than for 3A or 3B, but it usually can be done. This includes those with very tight curls but finer hair, as well as coarser hair. 3C has really really tight curls, like pencil or straw circumference. 3B is like sidewalk chalk or salt shaker circumference, and 4A is like coffee stirrer circumference.
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    Long hair, short hair, 3c or 4a I'd still have his babies.... mmmmm yeah....
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Posts: 412Registered Users
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    Long hair, short hair, 3c or 4a I'd still have his babies.... mmmmm yeah....

I know right!
  • jeweldjeweld Posts: 140Registered Users
    Originally Posted by barbidollcriola viewpost.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aOdnzsWlGs

OMG! could it be? could I have found my hair twin? Me thinks so. Pencil sized in the front and crown, 4a and looser 4a on the sides and 4b in the same awkward area.

I have too many "types" to care. But Cherry lola has 3c http://cherrylola.com/images/Curl%20keeper%204.png my looser 4a is exactly like this and so is the girl in the vid.
    Poo: Giovanni TTT
    CoWash/Detangler: Any Suave on top of VO5, Yes to Cucumbers
    DT: Aubrey Organics White Camellia, Amla/ Coconut milk, Castor oil
    Styling Products: Yes to Cucumbers, EcoStyler, Longaid Curl Activator,
    Daily Moisture: Hibiscus tea+Aubrey Organics White Camellia Spritz, Yes to Cucumbers, Homemade Whipped Avocado+ Green Tea Creme
    Seal w/ Dabur Vatika Oil, Castor oil
    type 3C, is hair with tight curls in corkscrews. The curls can be either kinky, or very tightly curled, with lots and lots of strands densely packed together. Some people refer to this as "big hair." Getting this type of hair to blowdry straight is more challenging than for 3A or 3B, but it usually can be done. This includes those with very tight curls but finer hair, as well as coarser hair. 3C has really really tight curls, like pencil or straw circumference. 3B is like sidewalk chalk or salt shaker circumference, and 4A is like coffee stirrer circumference.

Actually you are incorrect. 3c hair DOES NOT have to have any corkscrews at all. Some 3c hair makes an S pattern instead of a full corkscrew. Nor do the curls have to be super tight.

I have mainly 3c hair (with some 3b in certain areas) and it's easy to get my hair straight with a blowdryer with no problem..and my curls are bigger than the woman you posted links to on YT. Way bigger. Her hair is just to small in circumference to be 3c. Rachel True has 3c hair... and that woman's hair in the YT video isn't that curl size.

No offense but it seems like you almost want this woman's hair to be so rt of 3c for some reason and I am not sure why. I mean if your hair is like hers just accept you have 4a hair....it's not that big a deal. 3c hair is not better than 4a or vice versa.

I know you did a virtual copy and paste with your definition because I read that definition myself..but word of advice.. everything isn't cookie cutter and you can't always rely on everything you read. As a matter of fact some of the pictures in the NC section for 3c hair are not accurate and you can tell if you just look at them side by side...

Furthermore, the woman you posted from YT doesn't even fit that criteria that you copied and pasted..so it doesn't make sense for you to suggest she's 3c. LOL!

And yes.. I answered your questions because not a lot of people were answering and it's probably because we've had this discussion on NC for umpteenth times about hair types and people get uptight about it...because some people think 3c hair is better than having 4a-4c hair..particularly with people of color.. it's a sensitive subject because of the whole "good hair" syndrome.

For some people it's difficult to accept their hair as it is and for what it TRULY is..I hope you aren't personally having that dilemma.
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    [No offense but it seems like you almost want this woman's hair to be so rt of 3c for some reason and I am not sure why. I mean if your hair is like hers just accept you have 4a hair....it's not that big a deal. 3c hair is not better than 4a or vice versa.

I know you did a virtual copy and paste with your definition because I read that definition myself..but word of advice.. everything isn't cookie cutter and you can't always rely on everything you read. As a matter of fact some of the pictures in the NC section for 3c hair are not accurate and you can tell if you just look at them side by side...

Furthermore, the woman you posted from YT doesn't even fit that criteria that you copied and pasted..so it doesn't make sense for you to suggest she's 3c. LOL!

And yes.. I answered your questions because not a lot of people were answering and it's probably because we've had this discussion on NC for umpteenth times about hair types and people get uptight about it...because some people think 3c hair is better than having 4a-4c hair..particularly with people of color.. it's a sensitive subject because of the whole "good hair" syndrome.

For some people it's difficult to accept their hair as it is and for what it TRULY is..I hope you aren't personally having that dilemma.

+100
    I wish people would stop using Andre Walker's system as a strict guide on hair types. Matter of fact, I wish he'd never come up with the system. I think a lot of us would be better off, psychologically.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    wow...im not one for unnecessary conflict so u win marah... i was just asking questions to get opinions from what ive seen on youtube and even with my friends natural hair...textures dont always look the same usually curl sizes, textures, and buoyancy of hair varies... and btw i dont have natural hair its been relaxed for awhile now...im considering going natural...
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users

Actually you are incorrect. 3c hair DOES NOT have to have any corkscrews at all. Some 3c hair makes an S pattern instead of a full corkscrew. Nor do the curls have to be super tight.

I have mainly 3c hair (with some 3b in certain areas) and it's easy to get my hair straight with a blowdryer with no problem..and my curls are bigger than the woman you posted links to on YT. Way bigger. Her hair is just to small in circumference to be 3c. Rachel True has 3c hair... and that woman's hair in the YT video isn't that curl size.

No offense but it seems like you almost want this woman's hair to be so rt of 3c for some reason and I am not sure why. I mean if your hair is like hers just accept you have 4a hair....it's not that big a deal. 3c hair is not better than 4a or vice versa.

+1

My hair is what most people would consider 3b and it can't be blown straight easily. My hair will not become smooth without a flat iron. It's just the way my hair is.

Some people's hair blows straight easier than others. It doesn't matter what curl pattern they have.

I hate the whole curl typing mess. It has nothing to do with what products work or how to take care of our hair. It is completely meaningless and, as far as I can see, does nothing but force people into tiny boxes. Curly hair is curly hair. Period.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
    Exactly NEA... Andre Walker's system is a decent base line but it's not the end all be all.. NC's definition which Barbie copied and pasted isn't even an accurate definition for all 3c types..considering all 3c hair types do not corkscrew.. hell I think even Lorraine Massey noticed that much! ROFL!

But some people are so hell bent on having 3c hair which I think psychologically feels good on some level to certain people of color because of the "good hair" syndrome that affects so many people of color.

Furthermore for hair care a person shouldn't be focused on curl size as much as they should be focused on texture, porosity, and density so they can see how to take care of their hair.. cause curl size doesn't mean jack when it comes to hair care...

For instance...there is a woman that has a hair type just like mine but she uses products in her hair that would jack my hair up with long term use. She uses a lot of protein and I use it only occassionally..but protein is part of her daily routine...my hair would be dry and brittle if I used that much protein. She and I do indeed have almost identical hair type..but we don't have the same porosity, texture, or density. So we can't use the same exact things for hair care.

In my opinion, all curl size determines is whether or not you may be able to do a certain hairstyle and get it to look like someone else's..other than that.. it doesn't play a role in how to properly care for the hair. But I do understand when a newbie has questions and I don't mind helping them out.. because I do understand the confusion of thinking hair type plays a role in hair care. :)
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    There are plenty of people of every curl type with S curls instead of corkscrews.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Furthermore for hair care a person shouldn't be focused on curl size as much as they should be focused on texture, porosity, and density so they can see how to take care of their hair.. cause curl size doesn't mean jack when it comes to hair care...

Yes...when I went natural, I didn't know JACK about "hairtype" and I did just fine. By the time I learned I was primarily a type 4a, I was in and done. It added nothing, nor did it take anything away. When you learn the "properties" of you hair (texture, porosity, density), you'll have the keys to healthy hair.

Now, if it's about something else, then that's another story.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    wow...im not one for unnecessary conflict so u win marah... i was just asking questions to get opinions from what ive seen on youtube and even with my friends natural hair...textures dont always look the same usually curl sizes, textures, and buoyancy of hair varies... and btw i dont have natural hair its been relaxed for awhile now...im considering going natural...

LOL! It's not about winning. It's about YOU having accurate information. I think it's AWESOME that you may be going natural and I hope you do! There is TONS of good info on NC and other places.

I want every woman (especially women of color) that want to be natural to have all the accurate information that she can..that is why I don't mind answering newbies when the come on here..I don't care if I have to answer them 10 times if they really want to learn something about being natural.

This means a lot to me because I am SICK AND TIRED of women of color having to succumb to certain standards of beauty as if we aren't fine like we are born. As if having curly, kinky, wavy, etc hair is some sort of curse on us and if we don't get a relaxer or use a hot straightening tool.. our hair can't be considered beautiful. And a lot of women of color have bought into it hence why you don't see many celebrities of color that are in the public eye a lot with their natural hair.. hell most of them don't even have their own hair out whether it's chemically processed or not..it's always a wig or weave (not that I mind those..some are fabulous looking!).

So if I came on a little strong.. I do apologize. It wasn't to be malicious or hurtful at all. It was to help inform but I felt like you had already made up your mind so I didn't comprehend why you kept asking.

Since you are considering going natural... do you know anything about your hair's texture, porosity, density ? These things will help you determine how to care for your hair.. not what size your curls are. :)

Best wishes with your hair care!
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
    well marah i know i have thick hair and ive been transitioning since december 2009...i cant really tell what porosity or texture i have....ill probably do a big chop in december 2010....
    well marah i know i have thick hair and ive been transitioning since december 2009...i cant really tell what porosity or texture i have....ill probably do a big chop in december 2010....

Well at least you know that much! Hope the transitioning is going well for you. I am sure you'll learn all you need to know about your hair hanging around here. Lots of great info among the ladies (and a few men)here!
  • Curly1908Curly1908 Posts: 192Registered Users
    He has Type 4a hair.

And he has a texturizer/blow-out kit in his hair in those pics from back in the day.
    Yay for Kinky-Curly Custard!
    mostly 3c with patches of 2b, 3b, and 4a
    Nappy...and oh-so happy :)
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    she has to have some 3c in there most of her curls are bigger than coffee stirrer circumference which would be the size of a 4a curl...there about the circumference of a pencil or straw....

The video that you posted, I can see why you describe this girl as having 3c hair. Maxwell is definitely a 4a. I tend to classify 3c hair as the hair that Tia and Tamara Mowry had on Sister Sister before they began straightening. 3c hair has definite curl pattern and get big. It will expand sideways unless properly cared for or styled.

Many people on this board classify hair as 3c that I would classify as 3b because of what I said earlier. I think sometimes though that those with kinkier hair, despite how large a curl pattern, tend to be classified as 3Cs or 4As, when they might just be a 3b with a kinky texture.

However, Marah's examples are definitely of someone in the 3b/c category. Maxwell is in the 4a category.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    I meant this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aOdnzsWlGs
    It just looks like she has heat damage or relaxed hair on the top, but she said she was growing out a relaxer.
  • ~Curly~~Curly~ Banned Posts: 772Banned Users
    It just looks like she has heat damage or relaxed hair on the top, but she said she was growing out a relaxer.
    She's 4a/4b

Anyway i'll be blunt with you, 3C has nothing to do with curl size I see all these comments about curls size and i'm like wtf most people including myself have so many different curl sizes on their head it's ridiculous.. 3C is more about texture than curls size 3C is the "good hair" category plain and simple. 3C is not in Andre's system, Andre's system went straight from 3B to 4A and the folks with "good hair" were like hey I dont think i fall into that category lets create a new one 3C... and it was needed because 3C is not the same as 3B/4A...

Anyway Maxell is a 4A.. lets keep it moving and keep it real..
    "Relaxer free Since 2003"
    3C in constant search for something that works!

3C/4B(hairs that act 4b even if they technically aren't) no clue what i'm doing..:geek::hello2::afro:
    I will respond as I see fit. It should be about freedom to express our opinions, You're free to say what you like as should others. Get a Thicker Skin if no one can disagree with you without you feeling bullied and running to Admin Hellllllpppppp Meeee Adminnnnn Pleaseeee!!!! Smh
    ~Curly~ wrote: »
    She's 4a/4b

Anyway i'll be blunt with you, 3C has nothing to do with curl size I see all these comments about curls size and i'm like wtf most people including myself have so many different curl sizes on their head it's ridiculous.. 3C is more about texture than curls size 3C is the "good hair" category plain and simple. 3C is not in Andre's system, Andre's system went straight from 3B to 4A and the folks with "good hair" were like hey I dont think i fall into that category lets create a new one 3C... and it was needed because 3C is not the same as 3B/4A...

Anyway Maxell is a 4A.. lets keep it moving and keep it real..

I consider the category to be based on curl pattern -- not texture, but I do agree with you that many people -- including stylists and hair professionals -- lump curl pattern with texture or good hair and bad hair. I've seen people with naturally straight hair, but the texture is extremely kinky -- not the stereotype usually associated with straight hair. I've seen those with very tight coils who had a naturally silky texture, which goes against the usual stereotype.

This may have been said already, but curl pattern is also subjective and really not that important, especially in the 3 category.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file