Curly Girl vs. Swimming Pool!

LadyJLadyJ Posts: 5Registered Users
Hi everyone! I'm finally joining the conversation after a few months of anonymous browsing/research. I'm a primarily 3a girl with loads of slightly dried out and color processed curls, but I'm signing on to the CurlyGirl method!

I just received my first round of CurlKeeper and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG re:coil[/buylink] in the mail, and so far, so good! I'm having some issues, though, and I'm hoping for some curly advice! I've got two problems:

problem one: I'm a swimmer. I've tried to stay away from the pool for the sake of my prone-to-dryness sensitive skin and curls, but I have to swim! It's the only exercise I'll stick with. :confused3: I've been wearing a silicone cap and coating my hair with conditioner before each swim, and I've been rinsing my hair before and after I hit the pool, but golly it's dry. After the next morning's shower, my hair returns to its semi-shiny glory, but by evening after my swim I'm a frizzy mess. Are there any curly swimmers out there with DT ideas or methods that work? I can't bear to give up a workout I actually find enjoyable, ha!

and problem two: I'm a recovering ultra-light-blonde-dye addict. I've been lightening my naturally darker blonde hair for a few years, dying lighter and lighter until I reached the "ultra light ash blonde" level and decided I needed to quit. Not surprisingly, my hair is fragile and dry and NOT happy. I've cut most of the damaged ends off (and I've been keeping up with monthly trims) and while I grow into my natural shade, I've been using a semi-permanent "champagne blonde" dye about every month. I think I read somewhere that deep conditioning treatments tend to strip color, and I'm sure the swimming pool doesn't help, so how should I protect my darker color while also promoting healthier hair? It's not the end of the world for my semi-permanent tint to fade (the difference between my roots and my ends isn't that stark, I guess), but I'd like to see my $10 monthly investment stick around for longer than a week... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any tips; I'm so glad I found this website! Viva la curlzzz
3a || Big head and lots of hair! :viking:
CG since the new year

Styling Products CurlKeeper + AG re:coil
Co-wash v05 Vanilla Mint (with some Ardell Red Gold color corrector mixed in for my brassiness!)
Conditioner Loreal Sulfate-Free Color System
Shampoo Suave naturals (3x week)
Color Clairol Natural Instincts semi-permanent Champagne Blonde (attempting to wean myself off the dyes!)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• LadyJLadyJ Posts: 5Registered Users
    Ok, also: it appears that by some website glitch I've gotten a member name that already exists! Yikes. Well, though I wish I had been a member here since 2005, that is simply another Lady J. Thanks again guys!
    3a || Big head and lots of hair! :viking:
    CG since the new year

Styling Products CurlKeeper + AG re:coil
    Co-wash v05 Vanilla Mint (with some Ardell Red Gold color corrector mixed in for my brassiness!)
    Conditioner Loreal Sulfate-Free Color System
    Shampoo Suave naturals (3x week)
    Color Clairol Natural Instincts semi-permanent Champagne Blonde (attempting to wean myself off the dyes!)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VividArtichokeVividArtichoke Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm also a newbie and a swimmer. I do 15 miles +/- a month. Until a month ago I was keeping my hair 3" long, cutting it myself and not wearing a cap. I now wear a swim cap and use Ion for swimmers which says no sulfates. Last month I decided to grow my hair out. I stopped using sulfate shampoos and started with a peppermint wash for my hair when I haven't just got out of the pool. I tried FSG which was supremely incredible, then tried a protein pack which was awesome. I'm on the right track! I haven't used any product but with growing it out I was stressing about a bozo-flat top, big frizzy sides look. The homemade products are curling my now 4" hair and top is in curls. I'm hoping to start getting ringlets in the back soon. The FSG did seem to help with not washing as often. Lovin' the concept of ringlets. Let me also mention I'm platinum blonde/white ( which doesn't come out in pictures, 60 and retired! I think I'd rather have ringets at my age than short curly hair!

Newbie Jean

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file