Scrapbookers or crafty peoples?

spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
For some reason I've gotten into making cards the last couple of years and plan on doing a little scrap booking too. My hubby has a photo album his grandmother put together as he grew up, but it's falling apart and I'm going to re-do it for him in a scrap book.

I really enjoy making cards for friends and family for birthdays and such and my supplies are adding up. I've been thinking about getting a die cut machine, but don't want a Cricut because I have to store my things away when not crafting because I do it on the dining room table. I've been looking at the Slice from Making Memories. Does anyone have any experience with any of these type things?

Anyone else here like this sort of stuff or am I a lone soul floating in the sea of glue dots and cute paper? I'm not really that great at it, but I'm hoping I'll get more creative at some point. :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.

Comments

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I loe scrapbooking. I'm a very basic scrapbooker. Just fun paper and cute stickers. Some people do very elaborate pages.
    I'm not sure what a die cut machine is??
    I too scrap at the dining room table and when not scrapping it sits in a spare room upstairs ALL over the floor.
    Gekko on the boards is an awesome card maker.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't have a clue what a die cut machine was either and still I'm not clear on all it does. :lol: I have a few punches I like, but thought man, I can't store ALL these punches I'd like to get. A die cut machine cuts out different shapes and letters. You get different cartridges with themes, etc. I'd always seen the Cricut machine, but didn't know what it is. The Slice is a smaller machine that cuts out shapes, basically. I've been reading reviews on it, but can't decide if I should splurge and get one.

I just organized all my crafty crap in our buffet cabinet in the dining room. I know I'll do more now that I can actually FIND things! :lol:

I've seen some of Gekko's cards..she rawks. :headbang:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Scrills (although I haven't seen her around recently) does scrapbooking. This is her site!!

http://paperchaise.wordpress.com/
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    This is the bundle I'm thinking about getting. There is a video tab that explains what it does. You have to use an adhesive to keep the paper in place on a glass mat as it cuts, but I've read a few reviews that suggest an alternative to buying their brand.
    http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Making-Memories-Ultimate-SLICE-3-in-1-Digital-Design-Bundle-Package/4433484/product.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Gekko on the boards is an awesome card maker.
    spring1onu wrote: »
    I've seen some of Gekko's cards..she rawks. :headbang:

Hee! Thanks for the shout outs!

I have a Sizzix Big Shot and a Cricut personal. The Cricut is very much fun, but the Big Shot is a workhorse. I would look at it first, before you decide to get the MM one, since it is more similar to the Cricut.

This was done with a Big Shot, you use their box die cut, crank it through, then just fold where the folds are and wallah! Little box thing.
    012-vi.jpg

This was made with the dot embossing folder -
    016-vi.jpg

I love my Big Shot and make so much more stuff with it than I do my Cricut. FWIW.

Here is my cards and stuff album. I also do altered art, so some of that is mixed in there. Alot of what is in there was done with the Big Shot.

http://public.fotki.com/hawaiiangekko/cards/
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
    Oh MAN! So many things to consider! LOL I wanted to decide this weekend because Overstock has the 10% off thing this weekend. I'll check out the Sizzix stuff too. Thank you for the input Gekko. :D The link to the pictures is much appreciated..I definitely have to get my inspiration from others. :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also, I got my Big Shot off Amazon for like $50 with free shipping.

Ok, just did a quick read of a few reviews to try and figure out how the thing works. So there is no adhesive to use? And do you ever have to replace the cutting mat(s)? And you just crank it through? And do the dies take up a lot of space to store? Oh my goodness Gekko, do you see what you started? Sorry for the 20 questions! :lol:

If I lived closer I'd just come over for a demo. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring1onu wrote: »
    If I lived closer I'd just come over for a demo. :D

Heck yeah!

Questions:
    1. No, there is no adhesive, if you are using an embossing folder, the paper sits inside the folder and you crank it through. If you are using a die, then the paper and the die sit between the cutting pads and get cranked through. The Big Shot comes with cutting platform and pads, the only thing I bought were the silicone pads ($6, I think) for embossing.

2. I have never replaced the cutting pads, they're clear acrylic and all scratched up, but they don't have to be pretty to work.

3. Some of the dies are pretty big, like for the boxes and stuff, but the majority of the dies are not that big at all and the embossing folders and completely flat.

This card was created using the Big Shot and the Manhattan flower embossing folder.
    P1000738.jpg

That is one gorgeous card!

Thank you for answering my questions! I'm still reading and trying to figure out what is the best one for my situation. Storage is definitely a big factor and I like that the Slice has memory cards that hold so many different shapes, plus it will emboss and draw as well. Who knew there were so many choices? Makes my head spin. :lol:

What an exciting way to spend a Saturday night, eh? Sometimes the internet is information overload.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    what's a big shot?
    I have lots of punches too. Well not lots but maybe 5-6. Does the die cut thingy come with punch outs? what exactly does it do? (as if i need another scrapbooking thing:angel8:) but wow $150. That is EXPENSIVE!
    Once again ,Gekko's cards rock. I'm so envious! I need to take a card making class. I should look into Archivers.
    W
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Scrills (although I haven't seen her around recently) does scrapbooking. This is her site!!

http://paperchaise.wordpress.com/

Hey! That's me, LOL. Thanks

I've actually started a new blog, it's slightlyembellished.wordpress.com. It has a couple more recent projects.

I have a cricut (and a cuttlebug). The other day I downloaded the trial version of MTC (Make the Cut) because it allows you to use any truetype font from your PC. No carts/dies to buy.
    Scrills, you have some really pretty stuff!! :love10:

Ok, so after much research and video watching (thank you YouTube) I ordered the Slice. I think for what I want to do and the requirements I had it will work for me. I'm trying not to be too excited about it because I don't want to jinx it and hate it. :lol: Bonus, I saved $15 on it with a coupon!

Gekko, thank you for answering my questions about everything! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file