Uggs: the snow shoveling review

ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Well, today was the longest shoveling session I've had since getting Ugg boots (both real and fake pairs). I wore the fakers to shovel, since they're taller, and I had about two feet of snow to work through. (The fakeness is in their lack of sheepskin lining, which I addressed by adding a sheepskin footbed for warmth. The shaft of the boot is lined with some stuffed animal fur looking-stuff.)

Note: both pair have been extensively sprayed with waterproofing fixative.

And.....they were great! My feet stayed warm and dry, despite the depth of snow I trammeled through to start. Their only flaw is the sole: they aren't grooved to prevent slippage, either on ice or very smooth and tightly packed snow. I fell twice, but I was laughing both times (listening to Ed Helms imitate a gay Al Gore), so no big deal.

However, next year, I remain resolved to acquire the Ugg Meridien for shoveling. If I'm to be shoveling like this again, I'm going all the way with foot protection, warmth, balance, and comfort.

So, that's my midwestern, snow-shoveling Ugg review.
Thanks for reading.

And now, for some beer with lunch!

Comments

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a recent Ugg convert. My feet have never known such warmth. No matter how tacky they are I will continue to wear them. :headbang: :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's addicting, isn't it?

Such coziness!
    My only regret is that I didn't get the more expensive ones with the better tread. One day... one day... hehe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    i swore i'd never get a pair but it looks soooo plush and comfy...like foot sex. so i want some. but i heard that they aren't waterproof! so they do have some that are waterproof??
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Those Meridiens aren't that bad looking for a snowboot!
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    empressri wrote: »
    i swore i'd never get a pair but it looks soooo plush and comfy...like foot sex. so i want some. but i heard that they aren't waterproof! so they do have some that are waterproof??

LMAO @ foot sex :lol:

You can buy a waterproofing spray and apply it. My hubs did mine for me and it works like a charm! The one we used is sold at the Wal-marts in the camping section.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes, waterproofing spray is very easy to find. The trick is (from what I read), that you should reapply it, so whenever I think of it, I take mine outside (the spray smells a lot), spray the heck out of them, then let them dry overnight.

RCC, I like those Meridiens! I think I'll go for the cream-color, just for something different. (Sick of brown and black for winter.) What are you wearing, there in P-burgh, when you shovel? I think we probably have similarly snowy weather.
    I'm just wearing a short (ankle high) pair of 20 year old Timberlands! Not the best thing when the snow has been about knee high at times though. I really should buy a good snowboot, lol.

This most recent one was less than yours, but it's been a snowy season altogether.

I thought you were out west for some reason, not in the midwest. My sister is in western Ohio, and they've been snowy this year too.

It may be a bit late for this year, but I think the Meridien looks like a good option. They should last me many years, and it will snow like this year in some other future year., lol.

Me? Out west? Hah! I'm in northeastern Ohio, about equidistant between Cleveland and the Pa. border (Cleve's a little closer). I go to Pittsburgh a lot on my weekend dog transports (I loathe Peach Street). You guys close the roads; we close the roads, mostly. In fact, we just cancelled a transport for this weekend because the Ohio/Pa legs wouldn't fill.

Get the Meridiens from Zappos. You may get them the very next day.
    Damn, you're close!

I used to watch channel 33 out of Youngstown as a kid. I grew up in Wheeling.

I get paid next week and will order those boots lol.

Youngstown tv! With Bob Black and Laura Steele?

There's no way those two were born with those names. I think he's really Stanislaus Kominsky and she's Hermione Blop.

I like West Virginia. I think it's beautiful and the people are nice.

You know, Scrills is in Cleveland, right?
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Youngstown tv! With Bob Black and Laura Steele?

There's no way those two were born with those names. I think he's really Stanislaus Kominsky and she's Hermione Blop.

I like West Virginia. I think it's beautiful and the people are nice.

You know, Scrills is in Cleveland, right?

I did wonder if those were TV names!

Yeah, I did know about Scrills. I think that came about during a football discussion lol.

Well, I'm sure she was defending the Cleveland Browns against you and your Steeler-loving ways. She's a good person.
    I think Bob B. and Laura S. also sound like pseudonyms for superheroes. Boring ones.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Why not buy a pair of ice grippers to put on the bottom of the soles to help with the slipping. QVC (item F0407) sells a good pair. You can also find Yaktrax and other brands at REI or other sporting goods stores.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote: »
    Why not buy a pair of ice grippers to put on the bottom of the soles to help with the slipping. QVC (item F0407) sells a good pair. You can also find Yaktrax and other brands at REI or other sporting goods stores.

I use them on another pair of boots, but they're hard to put on and take off easily and correctly. If I wear them indoors (shopping, etc.), I sound like a horse, clopping along.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Windflower wrote: »

I use them on another pair of boots, but they're hard to put on and take off easily and correctly. If I wear them indoors (shopping, etc.), I sound like a horse, clopping along.

I have the pair from QVC, and they are super easy to put on and to remove. At first I had the smaller size and those were difficult. I returned those and bought the larger size, and these are so easy. In stores, sometimes I remove them and sometimes I don't. Since I am not the only wearing them, it doesn't matter how I sound.

Since you have two pair of Uggs, why not keep the fake pair just for snow shoveling and keep the ice cleats on those at all times?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Good idea, but I wear them both all the time! I keep the cleats on my old boots, which I wear in slippery weather (with really warm socks).

I feel like I'm always the one in the "cleats." People look at me. It's embarrassing. I reserve them for when I'm staying outside.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file