Cold; When to See a Doc (Ewwiee TMI so BEWARE)

burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Well, I'm not sure if it's a cold... I'm pretty sure it's a sinus infection at this point. It's been going on for about 8 days and for the past 5 days or so I've been very congested with yellow thick lumpy boogers. EEEWWWWWWWW!!!! I've been trying to blow it all out but there is always more and more!!!

I've been taking Sudafed 12hr and it slightly helps me breath better. But I sound like a hibernating bear!

Is there anything else OTC I can take? I feel silly going to the docs for a cold.
para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
wash with Low Poo or Poo
condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
Play with ACV

Comments

• newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    Try a saltwater sinus rinse (NetiPot or Neil Med are two types that come to mind).
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks newcurly! Let me stop in in the netipot thread. Don't really know what a netipot is!! :)

CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • heart-of-dixieheart-of-dixie Posts: 392Registered Users
    Go to the doctor - you need medicine. I was like that many years ago and put off going to the doctor. I was so congested that I could not breathe. Once I got some medicine I felt better within 24 hours.

GO NOW!!
  • rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    I'm getting over a sinus infection as well. I'm pretty sure that you need an antibiotic to go along with the sudafed. I got some and started feeling better after a couple of days.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Alka Seltzer dries you up pretty well.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    I tried to go to my docs for some antibiotics, but they were already closed :-/. I'm trying to find a Minute Clinic close by. Why aren't there otc antibiotics!!!

I'm going to try a suggestion that was given to me on the net pot thread as well.

Thanks everyone.

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    Phoenix wrote: »

Really?

Well, I actually want to get it all out. There is no science to this, and I think I'm making this up, but I think if I blow out all the yellow stuff, then the infection would be out of my nose? I'm guessing it doesn't really work like that...

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV

Really?
    Yeah. It tastes bad but works. Just drink it down quickly.
    Well, I actually want to get it all out. There is no science to this, and I think I'm making this up, but I think if I blow out all the yellow stuff, then the infection would be out of my nose? I'm guessing it doesn't really work like that...
    It's probably the other way around...once the infection clears then the mucous will clear too. The infection just has to run its course if it's a cold. If you have a sinus infection the meds will help. There are lots of OTC meds specifically for sinus infections. But I don't think any of them will kill the bacteria, just alleviate symptoms.

The neti pot is a good preventive measure. But I don't know how well it works once you're already sick. I don't know, so try it and see. I'd think it'd be hard for the saline solution to flow freely between your nostrils when you're congested.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would definitely go see your doc for some antibiotics. A few years ago I had a cold with some awful congestion. It felt like my entire head was stuffed and the pressure was awful. As much as I tried to blow my nose I wasn't getting anything out.
    Turns out I had a bad sinus infection. I needed 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear it up. After going on them I swear I had green gook coming out of there. Eeewww!
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • bergasaurusbergasaurus Posts: 375Registered Users
    No, it doesn't work like that, sorry :)
    Antibiotics will only work if you have a bacterial infection. If this is just a nasty cold, they won't do any good. Get some Mucinex or generic guifanisen which thins mucus, drink lots of water, take an NSAID like Advil or Aleve - it's anti inflammatory, and go see a doctor.
    No cones since 08/25/09. Occasional low poo.
    Fine, normal to low porosity (still not sure which), ii, 3a/3b curls
    Playing with products: HEBE Mousse, BRHG, AOMM, HESMU. Nothing blows my mind just yet. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is counter-intuitive, but I've been hearing that not blowing your nose helps you get over a cold faster.

But based on the description of your mucus, it sounds like a sinus infection to me (I had the same thing, one terrible year), and you need antibiotics for that.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    My rule is this: if its yellow it needs antibiotics. Especially if it lasts longer than a week.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I haven't taken antibiotics for a sinus infection in years and I've lived (quite well) to tell the tale. If it were me, I'd try a neti pot or sinus irrigation bottle until Monday then call the doctor if it's not any better. I don't like to take antibiotics unless I really, truly need to because I want them to work for me when I do need them. Plus, I hate getting yeast infections, which always seems to happen.

I have a squeeze bottle, rather than a neti pot, and it works really well. It's what my ENT recommended when I had nose surgery a couple years ago.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • macluanmacluan Posts: 326Registered Users
    I agree with mrspoppers on this one. I don't take antibiotics for something like this and it always surprises me how many people that I speak to that tell me that they've taken three courses of antibiotics to get rid of something. Scary.

I recommend neti pot or salt water rinse and gargle, ginger tea, gypsy cold tea, stuffy head tea, steaming your face - just make sure the water is not too hot, sleeping with non toxic chest rubs that contain eucalyptus, try to get some fresh air without getting chilled and rest, rest, rest. It takes about 10 days to get over a cold. I have visited my accupuncturist when I get cold/sinus stuff and she helps immensly but I always try let my body handle it with as little drug interference as possible. According to the natural practitioners I know it helps your body build up your immune system. I was sick a couple of weeks ago. I would get a fever at night, up to about 101, but I choose not to take Motrin because I know that it's hard for my kidneys and liver to deal motrin and instead I used an ice bag. My husband, daughter and I were all sick consecutively and my husband takes every otc med he can get and he has been sickest the longest.

Believe me I know it can be hard when you can't get any relief and it seems like it's taking forever.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlsalot wrote: »
    Colloidal Silver - found in any health food store or places such as The Vitamin Shoppe will help any viral or bacterial infections. It’s an anti-bacterial/anti-fungl supplementation to prescribed antibiotic.
    Oh my god, do not do this! This is one of the biggest scams! And it has serious side-effects!
    Admittedly, it takes a lot of colloidal silver to make this happen. But still...

colloidalsilver-vi.jpg
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Colloidal Silver - found in any health food store or places such as The Vitamin Shoppe will help any viral or bacterial infections. It’s an anti-bacterial/anti-fungl supplementation to prescribed antibiotic.

Oh my god, do not do this! This is one of the biggest scams! And it has serious side-effects!
    Is this what the guy on Oprah was taking that made him turn blue? :laughing6:
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    I've never seen that show, but it probably is. The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine says that [URL="http://National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine"]you shouldn't use it![/URL]

Anyway, when your mucous is pigmented, it's time to see a doctor. Go see one, OP!

I've heard about that. Is this the guy who was on Oprah?:

blueman_nobug.jpg
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

blueman_nobug.jpg
    Yep, that's the guy I'm thinking of. Is that what he was taking?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    Yes, this guy turned blue from colloidal silver. In fact, he continues to take it. He's in complete denial about having turned himself blue, and insists that the colloidal silver isn't responsible.

blueman_nobug.jpg
    Yup. Poor guy.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Okay, this is getting weird. Someone's copying me... :lol:
    Thanks everyone for the tips!

I think I've never been this sick. I've never had seasonal allergies. Just barely occasional ones. And I haven't had an infection that involved antibiotics since I was a child I guess. But I did think rule of thumb is if you have yellow or green mucous, it's an infection and it requires antibiotics, but I was trying to avoid that little process. Guess this is why I've been like this for 8 days!!! I just really want the congestion (and it's not even a mucous congestion because I blow and when it's not yellow stuff, its nothing at all!

I'm going to try dripping a saline solution into my nose. I can't stick stuff in my nose so I'm hoping to suck some in out of a cup. Because seriously, these colds meds are not helping and neither is the vicks vapor rub!!!!

And I don't want to be blue with yellow teeth... LOL so let's just never mind that!! :laughing5:

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Admittedly, it takes a lot of colloidal silver to make this happen. But still...
    Do you even know the details of why this happen to this man? I do. You can search yourself but like with anything else overdoing a good thing turns it into no good. Laugh all you want but at least know the facts.
    Yes, I already knew the details about why that happened. Did you see that in the post you quoted, I wrote that he only got that way after using "a lot of colloidal silver"? And I already linked to the facts about colloidal silver, from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

As I said, the supposed health benefits of colloidal silver are a scam. But I never said anything about you personally.
  • popcornpopcorn Posts: 212Registered Users
    Yellow or green doesn't necessarily imply bacterial infection - may merely mean that it's been down there a long time.

Some relatively new guidelines (Sanford, 08 I believe) recommended to wait 10 days prior to initiating antibiotics for sinusitis, as the studies indicating they were helpful weren't all that great.

The best decongestant? Afrin. (oxymetazoline) You can only use it for 3 days (6 doses) because it screws with your receptors and you become dependent on it quickly, but if you're truly miserable, it will help and you will be able to breathe and sleep.

The last cold I had lasted nearly 2 weeks. I expect to come down with another soon - occupational hazard. Hang in there. Neti pot couldn't hurt to try either.

Popcorn, MD
  • dreamingmusedreamingmuse Posts: 28Registered Users
    Yet another one for sinus rinsing. You'll be amazed at the crud you get out of there when you think you blew it all out already!

I always get yellow/green mucus every time I have a cold. I would use antibiotics as a last resort. I was suffering from a chronic sinus infection for a while because of a sinus polyp and they can be successfully treated with daily sinus rinsing and if there is a lot of congestion/inflammation, a nasal steroid spray like Flonase.

Sinus rinsing is great even if you aren't sick! I notice I sleep better and feel better in the morning when I do it in the evening. It is important to not do it close to bed time though, because you want to let the saline drain completely. If it sits in your sinuses over night, it can irritate them making you feel really sick for a day! Blowing my nose with my head in different positions never seems to get it all out right away. :P

Oh and I highly, highly suggest supplementing with Vitamin D. It is mega important for your immune system and it has helped reduce the intensity and duration of my colds.
    Thanks everyone. I tried the saline solution and OMG that crap BURNED!!! I don't know if I was actually able to suck it all down!!! But maybe I did because I slept much better. Less congested and just a bit stuffy. No more sounding like a bear :)

Wonder if vitamin D was my culprit. My doc said my vitamin D level was way below the amount it should be. She tells me to get some more salt... LOL where the heck am I gonna get some sun!!!!

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file