I think I'm going blonde

irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
totally blond. Not just highlights. I 've always thought it would look horrible on me, but I have always wanted to try it.

I'm going to have to check out some cool tone blondes b/c I have an olive ish skin tone.

I'm going to make the jump to do it now while my hair is short so if I hate it I can fix it and it won't take long to grow it out.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sure you'll be a beautiful blonde. However, as with long hair (where you are just one of many pretty long-haired women), you'll just be one of many pretty blondes. Short dark hair is special on you.

Just sayin'...
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm sure you'll be a beautiful blonde. However, as with long hair (where you are just one of many pretty long-haired women), you'll just be one of many pretty blondes. Short dark hair is special on you.

Just sayin'...

Thank you. And yes, I agree, that darker hair definitely suits me, and adds to my kind of overall look - but it's something I'm dying to try.

Maybe I'll love it, maybe I'll hate it, but I'll never know until I give it a shot!

I'm excited. When I get it into my head to do a big change like this, I want it done yesterday. I have to be patient b/c I NEED it done professionally.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yay! If I was lighter skinned I would've definitely tried it once. I know our natural colors usually look best on us, but I love extreme changes and blonde is nice.
  • ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    iroc wrote: »

Just sayin'...

Thank you. And yes, I agree, that darker hair definitely suits me, and adds to my kind of overall look - but it's something I'm dying to try.

Maybe I'll love it, maybe I'll hate it, but I'll never know until I give it a shot!

I'm excited. When I get it into my head to do a big change like this, I want it done yesterday. I have to be patient b/c I NEED it done professionally.

This.

I love your short hair, every time I see a picture of you (not in a creepy way, lol) I want to cut it short.

You are gorgeous and I think you can pull it off.
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
    Residual wrote: »
    iroc wrote: »

Just sayin'...

This.

I love your short hair, every time I see a picture of you (not in a creepy way, lol) I want to cut it short.

You are gorgeous and I think you can pull it off.

Well, gee, thank you!

It'll be a drastic change/look like Katherine McPhee, or Kim Kardashian - both of those girls definitely look better as brunettes.

It's gonna be a huge alteration since I've always rocked the brunette thing. Blond was never for me. But I'm going to have a colorist do it - and since I don't have much length, I don't do anything else to it in terms of damaging or stress. I don't use product, or heat style.

It's gonna be fun and different. I can't wait to set up the appointment. Hopefully early next week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not saying this to deter you, just some FYI:

I'm glad you are going to a pro, as your hair will turn orange in the process of bleaching and you'll have to keep going to blond. Some people panic when this happens and stop there. I made this mistake as a teen, doing it at home. :confused3: I had to recolor to brunette and my hair was very dry and damaged afterward. I didn't really want to be blonde anyway, a BF at the time loved blondes. I soon realized I was better off getting a new BF than haircolor! LOL

Also a good thing you're trying it on the short hair; as you say, less damage to grow out. Because with your dark hair (like mine), they will be using a high-lift bleach. Be sure to do some good DTs a week or so after the color.

Good luck! Can't wait to see! :) I'm sure you'll ask them but you might not have to go cool with olive skin either.

Oh, you might try this free online consultation to better determine the colors and tones that would go best:
    http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php?location=consultation
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    That sounds fun! Make sure to post pictures of the "after" so we can ooh and ahh over your new color. :)
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    I'm not saying this to deter you, just some FYI:

I'm glad you are going to a pro, as your hair will turn orange in the process of bleaching and you'll have to keep going to blond. Some people panic when this happens and stop there. I made this mistake as a teen, doing it at home. :confused3: I had to recolor to brunette and my hair was very dry and damaged afterward. I didn't really want to be blonde anyway, a BF at the time loved blondes. I soon realized I was better off getting a new BF than haircolor! LOL

Also a good thing you're trying it on the short hair; as you say, less damage to grow out. Because with your dark hair (like mine), they will be using a high-lift bleach. Be sure to do some good DTs a week or so after the color.

Good luck! Can't wait to see! :) I'm sure you'll ask them but you might not have to go cool with olive skin either.

Oh, you might try this free online consultation to better determine the colors and tones that would go best:
    http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php?location=consultation

ooh, thanks for the link, I was looking for something like that.

Ya, I'm an 'at home colorist' when I'm just going a shade or two. I would NOT attempt to do this at home. This is some serious coloring that I will only leave to a professional or rather end up with a head full of hay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LMK what the consult comes up with, I'm curious. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    LMK what the consult comes up with, I'm curious. :)

http://www.robertcraig.com/cgi-bin/effect2.pl

here's the link of my results. I think I'm going to go for the Light Ash Blonde. - which is kind of what i had in the back of my head anyway, so that worked out well.

I think the Golden Beige Blonde is very pretty, but I think it'll end up a little too warm for me. I always go for ash tones when I'm home coloring to avoid brassiness.

We'll see what the colorist says when I share the info with her.

(never mind, the link didn't save once I closed it out.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Damn. Just like that, I'm having second thoughts. I started to think about the pain of the upkeep. The roots growing in and the maintaining of the color. That's why I cut my hair in the first place, cause I didn't want to deal with the upkeep of color.

:neutral:

Maybe it's because I'm just tired. I'll sleep on it again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is there any place where you could try on wigs for free? Ash blonde can be very draining. Usually ash blonde works well with people who have pink tones in their skin. Olivish - I don't know.

Another possibility - it sounds weird but it can work - if you can spring for it, buy a towel that looks similar to the color you have in mind and wrap it around your head, covering your hair. You may be surprised how much you can figure out that way. A scarf or blouse could work also.

Interesting - keep us posted!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Nicole+Richie+Blonde+Hair.jpg

i like this color
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    dianna-agron.jpg

this color

Michelle+Williams+Blonde+Hair.jpg

Lowlights%200.JPG

lindsay_lohan_blonde_hair.png

buts it has to look good on this:

luckydog2-1.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The first (Nicole Richie?) looks like she has strawberry highlights. #s 2 and 3 look golden blonde. The last two look ash blonde. Anyway, you are adorable. You can probably pull off anything. I'm kind of thinking you should try it - but that's just because I'm getting very curious to see you in it!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    curlypearl wrote: »
    The first (Nicole Richie?) looks like she has strawberry highlights. #s 2 and 3 look golden blonde. The last two look ash blonde. Anyway, you are adorable. You can probably pull off anything. I'm kind of thinking you should try it - but that's just because I'm getting very curious to see you in it!

haha, ya, I know those colors are all over the place.

I think I like Lindsay Lohans the best (the last one.)

I mean, I really like Nicole Richie's color - it looks like a honey blonde to me - but I'm thinking that might be too warm. Then again, she is a bit olive skinned herself. In that picture she's just tan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    If you really do have an olive skin tone, I wouldn't recommend ash blonde - golden, warm tones tend to look better next to olive skin. Also, post pics ASAP if you do it! :)
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
    Yeah, you really need an experienced colorist to help pick and mix the right shade.
    If you really do have an olive skin tone, I wouldn't recommend ash blonde - golden, warm tones tend to look better next to olive skin. Also, post pics ASAP if you do it! :)

Maybe it depends on the skin tone. Most of the stuff I read breaks it down to what colors look good on you.

I look better in dark greens, turquoise, pink, black - according to that, they say ash tones.

I can't wear yellow, red (except pinkish reds), purple, - those are the warm tone colors.

But when it comes to shades of haircolor, I get lost anyway. I'm sure we'll work it all out at my appointment. I don't want white blonde, I know that. This is why I wouldn't do this by myself!

So much for the new bar of Reincarnate I just bought at Lush that is for dark glossy hair!! Must look for a violet shampoo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mbeckhhpmbeckhhp Posts: 155Registered Users Curl Novice
    Im a blonde,natural at birth,with brwn eyes.Im fair, but have yellow, undertones, and can tan. tried diff, highlights, and blondes throughout the years, because it gives oomph to fine hair,and shine.The absolute best thing, I ever did was get,as gold as I could go,( haver been turning white, for a while) not brassy, but gold. Its the best thing, against brown eyes. Nuetrals and ashes drab out every olive/dark eyed blonde, Ive ever met.It ends up sometimes looking grey. Keep it warm, you'll be happy, it reflects better shine. lolights, and hilights, even more natural(well I guess conditioners do a lot.) You'll be a knockout.Find a "color expert" that has experiance with blonde transitions.They have the potential ,to fry your hair.Ive always wanted thick,brown, or red, curly hair.Occasionally, I forget, and try myself, and end up like Ronald McDonald.I kind of like, but nobody else does.:color:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey
    • Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,, Condish Peter Lamas volumizing(rice protein) mixed w CJ smoothing,orGiovanni 50/50,or Eulasense balanced moisture. Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*, KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.mixed w Pattern Pusha.FOTE on dry. SOTC :1 drop meadowfoam oil.DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek,CJ repair me.
    mbeckhhp wrote: »
    Im a blonde,natural at birth,with brwn eyes.Im fair, but have yellow, undertones, and can tan. tried diff, highlights, and blondes throughout the years, because it gives oomph to fine hair,and shine.The absolute best thing, I ever did was get,as gold as I could go,( haver been turning white, for a while) not brassy, but gold. Its the best thing, against brown eyes. Nuetrals and ashes drab out every olive/dark eyed blonde, Ive ever met.It ends up sometimes looking grey. Keep it warm, you'll be happy, it reflects better shine. lolights, and hilights, even more natural(well I guess conditioners do a lot.) You'll be a knockout.Find a "color expert" that has experiance with blonde transitions.They have the potential ,to fry your hair.Ive always wanted thick,brown, or red, curly hair.Occasionally, I forget, and try myself, and end up like Ronald McDonald.I kind of like, but nobody else does.:color:

Thank you, that is helpful. I'd actually like to have a warmer, honey blonde color. I think it's prettier. I suppose after the first color, if I find it needs to go one way or another afterward I can tweek it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CafeAuLaitCafeAuLait Posts: 218Registered Users
    Good for you, do it! :) I'm going blonde, too (I posted about it in the coloring section). I have your complection almost exactly. The last time I went dramatically lighter was almost 10 years ago so I'm a little nervous. I want kind of a frosted look like in the 2nd to the last pic you posted. This is what I did last time - she took it down to blonde and added highlights in. I don't know how she was able to get it to the right shade of blonde (for the base color) from the bleaching process alone as I thought she'd have to bleach it then color over top. I remember being shocked, thinking it was awfully light esp. with the highlights, but I ended up liking it. With us olivy-toned and above girls it's pretty obvious blonde is not our natural color so might as well go all the way with it is what I say. Mine ended up being light blonde but ashy at the same time.

Word of warning: Blonde will make your skin and eye color look much darker. Strangely, I got more comments about looking "ethnic" or like "Saddam's long lost sister" with blonde hair than I do with my natural dark brown. I live borderline southern U.S. so.... yeah.... apparently those of us with any ancestory outside of western Europe, who are darker than a poster board are suspect. Just something to keep in mind. It's amazing how hair color can change the whole appearance. It's awfully tough with the upkeep (the roots), but I want a change for spring.

I think you'll terrific!! Please post pics when you get a chance. A tip, too - if you end up too light or too golden for your liking, buy a bottle of Fanciful. It's a temp rinse out dye that will give you more ashy tones. Good luck! :wave:
    Formerly ElsaG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file