8.8 Earthquake in Chile; Tsunami warning includes Hawaii.

curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Stay safe! Move out of the way if you can! Thinking of all of the people affected.

The tsunami watches and warnings were also issued for Alaska and California.

Stay safe, people on the pacific coast.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I heard on tv that 78 people died. Not to trivialize that number by any means, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts or information regarding why Chile had such a smaller number of casualties than Haiti, at least so far since the quake was a huge one.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was just about to post about this! Yipes! This one is way bigger than the one in Haiti even! I think they're telling Hawaii to watch out too.

Our office manager just mentioned something about Japan. Did Japan feel it too?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I heard on tv that 78 people died. Not to trivialize that number by any means, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts or information regarding why Chile had such a smaller number of casualties than Haiti, at least so far since the quake was a huge one.
    It's still very early. That number will unfortunately go up. Plus, from what I understand, the buildings in Haiti were very poorly constructed and that contributed to the death toll. Not that many buildings could stand up to a 7.0 earthquake...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I see. Thanks. Gives me the shivers.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think they get a lot of earthquakes in Chile, so like Phoenix said, the buildings can take a lot more due to higher standards.

The tsunami warning is for pretty much all of the Pacific according to NOAA.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    It just seems like so many bad things are happening on a global scale. :(
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote: »
    It just seems like so many bad things are happening on a global scale. :(

The world has always had disasters. I don't think there are more than usual occuring.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Phoenix wrote: »
    I was just about to post about this! Yipes! This one is way bigger than the one in Haiti even! I think they're telling Hawaii to watch out too.

Our office manager just mentioned something about Japan. Did Japan feel it too?

Japan had it's own quake on the 26th:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php
    :rambo:
  • divegirldivegirl Posts: 1,286Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was just about to post about this :(

The tsunami will hit Easter Island first, probably very soon. Pretty much the entire Pacific is under a tsunami watch/warning, including where my whole family lives in Australia :pale: (I believe the warning in Australia is mostly precautionary, but still.)

Ugh, the people in all those tiny Pacific nations have nowhere to go.

Stay safe, everyone.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good grief, 8.8 is huge!

That does seem to be relatively low death toll for such a strong quake. Perhaps Chile does well at having and enforcing code with buildings? Most of what I read so far talks about damage to highways and the airport.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    My heart goes out to those in Chile. I agree with the notion that the Haitian infrastructure was much more weaker than that of Chile's as a main reason why there haven't been more deaths, of course the day is still young. Also in Haiti thousands of people are living in very close proximity and Haiti is very hilly at that.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    divegirl wrote: »
    I was just about to post about this :(

The tsunami will hit Easter Island first, probably very soon. Pretty much the entire Pacific is under a tsunami watch/warning, including where my whole family lives in Australia :pale: (I believe the warning in Australia is mostly precautionary, but still.)

Ugh, the people in all those tiny Pacific nations have nowhere to go.

Stay safe, everyone.

My brother and cousins are there. I don't think it'll hit Australia, if it does it'll only be a little wave. Won't it?

I feel for the Pacific Islanders too. I hope they can get up high.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There are warnings all over the TV about this. Hopefully we are far enough away to be fine, but I have relatives closer to the coastline. We're just off the bay.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I am definitely far enough away to be fine, I am about 20 miles from the coast. I was texting with a friend of mine in Hawaii, she lives at the base of Diamondhead. They are packed up, gas'ed up, and have cash. They are just waiting for their evacuation order.

On the first of the month on Oahu, they sound the tsunami warning sirens and even though there wasn't a tsunami the sound was eerie and gave me shivers. Knowing that it is sounding for real, just gives me the creeps.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Also about all the damage and stuff... we get a lot of earthquakes here in AK, and for the most part they are deep so we never get any damage. I think the kind of earthquakes that have a lot of damage are closer to the surface.

I have relatives in Kodiak, AK and my cousin just posted on facebook that my uncle is taking his boat out to sea. I'm guessing so that it doesn't get banged up at the docks? They're only expecting waves of a couple feet.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users

Okay, so I just looked up the depths, and the Haiti quake was only 6 miles deep, which is very shallow. The Chile earthquake was 21 miles deep. That probably has a lot to do with why the Haiti earthquake is more traumatic.
    I am texting with my friend, she says the water is sucking out of Hilo Bay right now, so the wave is imminent.

gekko422 wrote: »
    I am texting with my friend, she says the water is sucking out of Hilo Bay right now, so the wave is imminent.
    Very interesting.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    gekko422 wrote: »
    :( scary! I hope they are going to be ok.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    The first wave came in, about 2 feet, Hilo Bay sucked back out again and is beginning to fill as the next tsunami is coming in.

San Diego has already seen a water rise of about 3 feet.

• cocolocococoloco Posts: 159Registered Users

Chile had a stronger earthquake than Haiti, though the death rates in Chile are definitely going to be lower.Chile is a rich country,their buildings are built earthquake proof just like other earthquakes prone countries like Japan and the U.S pacific coast.Chile is prone to earthquakes all the time just like japan and the u.s pacific coast, all of these countries are prepared and on top of that they all got money.

On the other hand, Haiti is a poor country, the poorest in Latin America to be exact. The buildings in Haiti were not earthquake proof they all crumbled as soon as the earthquake hit. A lot of buildings in Chile kept up even though their quake was way stronger than the one in Haiti. Also Haiti wasn't prepared.
    nm
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

The death toll is over 700 now.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file