CurlTalk

treating dry scalp?

deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Dabbler
Liam went to go get a much needed haircut today.. (it's been a while) anyway she cut it nice and short and I noticed Liam has got quite a bit of dry scalp.. do you know how to get rid of it or treat it??

D
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I would wonder if it's truly dry-scalp, or just an accumulation of skin cells from not scrubbing enough when washing (cradle cap). Either way, I'd put a little oil on his scalp a half hour before his next bath...reall rub it in...then shampoo well, again with some good rubbing. One or two treatments like that usually clears up cradle cap.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    RCW, I have baby oil? will that do?

D
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Any kind of oil will work.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I should try that - Solomon has dry scalp too. I'm pretty sure it's actually dry scalp because my husband and I both also get it bad. I got Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo (sulfate-free) for us to use but I don't know if I'd use it on Solomon.

Abram also has cradle cap and I sometimes use a baby hairbrush to exfoliate his scalp. It doesn't completely clear it up but it helps a little.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    Oil works great on cradle cap and dry scalp. I've used both baby oil and olive oil on Danae. To exfoliate, I mix one T. of oil and one T. of brown sugar together, then gently rub it onto her scalp. I'll let it sit for a few minutes, then shampoo it out. Her hair is too thick for the baby brush trick now that she's older, and I only shampoo her hair twice a week (it's really dry, and even sulfate-free shampoos make it very difficult to manage). The oil/sugar mix makes a great body exfoliant, too! :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I did oil with my first and it was meh. By the time my second came along I read somewhere to make a baking soda/warm water paste and then comb it through. Usually takes only two applications and then you don't have to deal with the greasy baby.