Thicker hair at the end of the day?

kmd303kmd303 Registered Users Posts: 71
I'm hoping my fellow 2's have some insight here... what does it mean when around 3pm my hair starts getting puffier and thicker? Still spirally with product in - but definitely thicker puffier and a tad frizzier? Is it that the aloe (in my gel) is sucking in more moisture? Any ideas would be really helpful because I am a total hair "science" dummy.

PS it rains a lot here in Oregon, but it also rains in the morning and I don't have this problem early until the afternoon. Help!

Comments

• kmd303kmd303 Registered Users Posts: 71
    Duh. Come to think of it, it's got to be a porosity issue? So I need to rethink what I thought my porosity level truly is. Ok! Thanks! Off to research.:book:
  • dernhelmdernhelm Registered Users Posts: 84
    My hair does this. Does this mean we have high porosity?
    I have researched and I still don't have a clue as to how to prevent the early afternoon poof issue! I have tried oil/butter sealing, but my hair doesn't seem to like oils/butters when wet and it weighs my hair down. I have tried applying products into soaking wet hair with some success (the poof just happens a little later in the day).

Let me know if you find anything about what products or techniques we should be following.
    very fine/dense/high porosity
    No heat styling

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    dernhelm wrote: »
    My hair does this. Does this mean we have high porosity?
    I have researched and I still don't have a clue as to how to prevent the early afternoon poof issue! I have tried oil/butter sealing, but my hair doesn't seem to like oils/butters when wet and it weighs my hair down. I have tried applying products into soaking wet hair with some success (the poof just happens a little later in the day).

Let me know if you find anything about what products or techniques we should be following.

Thanks for your reply. And I will!
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Here is what I think I know about this. This sounds like a humidity issue.
    Your hair is absorbing moisture in the humid afternoon. I think all hair absorbs moisture, but porous hair can absorb more since it is easier for the moisture to make it into the hair's cortex. I think you already know this.

Humectants attract water to the hair in normal and high humidity conditions. Bad news in high humidity. Avoid humectants.
    Antihumectants keep moisture out of the hair. Anti-humectants are silicones, esters, hydrogenated castor oil, beeswax, and plant triglycerides such as coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, and shea butter.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/humidity-humectants-and-the-dew-point
    This link lists ingredients that are esters and humectants among other categories.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products
    PVA is a better gel ingredient in humid conditions because it resists humidity. Here is a link with more.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/the-nitty-gritty-details-about-hair-gel

HTH
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Pedaheh, thank you so much! Great information and yes the humectant and anti-humectant must be the cause. I need to switch up my gel. Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file