layers in 3a hair?

girlwiththecurlgirlwiththecurl Posts: 10Registered Users
Hi all!

I have 3a hair (well, 2c/3a hair) , all one-length, and it's getting a bit boring. I was thinking of getting long layers. I want some shape to my hair, (not just flat), and I also read that layers will make my curls bouncier, which I would love! :blob4:

And I would like some weight removed, because I would like to wear a ponytail without having it pull my head down.

Has anybody gotten long layers, and could provide before and after pictures? Do you think it's a good idea?

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Yes, long layers are beneficial for most of us with curly hair, and many of us here have them. I don't have before/after pix, but I definitely recommend them.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • curlycarrottop62curlycarrottop62 Posts: 245Registered Users
    Another thing you can consider is angle around your face (shorter pieces). they make my hair less boring and they dont puff out
    Multi-textured head! 3a w/ some 3c, medium to high porosity, medium to coarse texture, dry!

My current favorites: Suave naturals shampoo, Suave coconut, Organix argan and moroccan oil conditioner, GFTN, LALMG, FSG <3!!

Not a huge fan of CG :/
  • danna harrisdanna harris Posts: 55Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A must. You have to get that top mop trimmed. It will just drag you down. The angling at the face is a great tip. My girl does that to me too, especially if you like the length, just not the flop.
    Hair: 3a mostly
    mod CG Fall 2008

co/wash - Suave Naturals or VO5, Naked Naturals shampoo from CVS - can't find anymore, replacing with JCHCC

Condition: Aubrey Organics HR, Moisture Maniac, Love Jessicurl deep treatment and her stuff!

Leave in's: Aveda Be Curly, Jessicul RR and CC, quarter and nickel amounts, AG liquid effects, KCCC (forever to dry), leaving behind the Aquage defining gel

Want to try some of Sally's generics
  • Kelly CurlyQKelly CurlyQ Posts: 50Registered Users
    I also agree. I have long layers with angles around the face for shape. My longest layer starts around my earlobe (to offset my face shape).

Layering can really help with curl formation and overall hair 'swing' & bounce. :blob8:
    Kelly

2c/3a: Fine, Thin, High Porosity; very fragile.

Currently Using:
    Weekly LoPoo: ABBA Pure Curls Sulfate Free Shampoo
    CoWash Cleansing: Tresemme Naturals or Giovanni TTTT
    Condish: CJ Hibiscus & Banana
    Leave In: ABBA Pure Gentle w/ Argon Oil added
    Stylers: ABBA Pure Style gel (warm temps) or CJ CCCC (cool temps)

Special Stuff:
    Coconut Oil scalp massage - Weekly
    PT/DT - Kpak Reconstructor / Kpak Intense Hydration (as needed)

• EvangeliniaEvangelinia Posts: 30Registered Users
    I have dozens of layers and it really does make your hair spring up in curls. Oi. lmao.
    w8ozd2.jpg
    Me above. 2c/3a (Usually 3A)
    weardrobe | chictopia

Hair army
    The hair army is currently training with new soldiers:
    HE's
    Hello Hydration conditioner
    Tresemme's
    Flawless Curls conditioner

The remaining troop soldiers

HE's
    Totally Twisted poo/condish
    HE's
    Tousle Me Softly flexi hairspray
    (
    in other words, I used everything up&don't have the $ to supplement my hair)
  • abritta3abritta3 Posts: 37Registered Users
    I also have layers. I love them! Mine are mostly around my face. I didn't want as many in the back. The curls around my face are definitely bouncier than the rest due to the layers and I love it!!
    3a:love6:

Normal porosity. Normal reaction to protein.

Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free, GVP Conditioning Balm, or the Suave COs

LA Looks Clear Gel

Jojoba, Coconut and Olive oils :angel5:

Routine: Condition daily, leaving it in for 3-5mins then rinsing with *cold* water. I scrunch my soaking wet hair immediately to encourage curl formation then plop hair in a t-shirt for 5mins before I scrunch in the gel. I air dry.
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    YES! I have 2c/3a hair too and before layers..well...I had like 1c/2a hair (Mind that this was also before CG) I'm very happy with the results!
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • Italian CurlsItalian Curls Posts: 77Registered Users
    For my hair, layers are the only way to go. When I was younger I had it all one length and it was flatter at the roots then get SUPER afro-y towards my ends. It was a terrible look. And it really weighed down my curls too, they were more 2c when it was one length. I have shorter layers, and it really helps. It frames my face, makes my curls bouncy and gives nice volume without being overwhelming. I love my layers!
    Curl type- 3a, medium texture, high porosity
    Co-wash- Suave Naturals Coconut
    Conditioner- BedHead Moisture Maniac/ Burt's Bees More Moisture (trying to find something better)
    Style- Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Honey (sometimes)
    Deep Conditioner-Burts Bees
    Methods- Icequeen, Plopping (overnight & straight after shower)

Trying to grow out hair for Locks of Love!
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Gemini13 wrote: »
    Yes, long layers are beneficial for most of us with curly hair, and many of us here have them. I don't have before/after pix, but I definitely recommend them.

+1! I've had layers for over 30 years, so no before pictures - but pyramid head without them, LOL (me). See Fotki for fairly current ones.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • GermanCurlGermanCurl Posts: 13Registered Users
    For a while I thought I could wear my hair one lenght. The result: major pyramid head!
    I had some layers cut in from the ear down. Now when I wear my hair open it's nice and curly yet the top layer is long enough for me to put it in a ponytail or updo if I want to.
    yours truly,
    GermanCurl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file