OT: makeup sites for brown / light skin?

rhiannonrhiannon Posts: 80Registered Users
This is OT so just skip if your not interested. I'm posting on the 3c site because seem to be so many mixed-race curlies are on this forum.

One thing I love about naturallycurly.com is that I could find a forum with people who have my hair type. (you guys!) So helpful. I was wondering is there a similar site where people discuss makeup that works well, for particular skin tones? It would be great to find a board where I could find a forum for people with approximately my skin color / tone, and then read about what makeup brands and particular shades work well for them.

Thanks,
Rhiannon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curl Type: 3c
Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.

Comments

• poemaXXpoemaXX Posts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Rhiannon!

I'm Hispanic and my skin is relatively light with peachy/yellow undertones. I started looking into mineral makeup from small businesses and couldn't be happier with what I've found! I thought my skin was matched well enough by MAC cosmetics, but boy... after going through the samples from the theallnaturalface.com and meowcosmetics.com I'm in love. (No bismuth like BareMinerals, which I'm sensitive to.)

You can order samples of their foundation. The allnaturalface send you a wide spectrum to try out; with meow you have to pick and choose.)

They are small companies though, so orders can sometimes take longer than zappos.com and amazon.com have accustomed us to. I suggest you try them!
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have so much trouble finding makeup that works for me b/c I am so pale, and I don't want to make myself look like a ghost, but I also don't want to make myself look darker than I really am so my face is a different color than the rest of my body! I always go to MAC so they can try the shades on me. They are SO helpful there.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • nedwards82nedwards82 Posts: 4Registered Users
    I actually had the same problem. Im biracial, and could never find a color that would match and not make me look so made up. After lots and lots of searching, I went to Alimapure.com, and ordered about 20.00 worth of samples, lol, and I found my exact match. If your similiar to my color, try warm4 or warm5. Or if your more yellow, they have tons of golden colors as well.
    Good luck!:happy8:
  • wannabelongwannabelong Posts: 19Registered Users
    I also end up at MAC. I've tried a number of different makes, bobbi brown and many other, but always back to MAC and now I'm kinda sick of trial after trial, but now I am finding that MAC isn't quite hitting the mark. I've moved to a sunnier place, so perhaps my tone has changed and therefore thrown me off the mark. I read somewhere that mousse is good for our color, so I am looking to try a mousse. The search goes on and on and on...
    currently using:
    Organix nourishing coconut milk shampoo
    Suave tropical coconut conditioner (for wash out)

for leave in conditioner a mixture of: Organix coconut milk conditioner & Herbal Essences hydralicious reconditioning conditioner
  • rhiannonrhiannon Posts: 80Registered Users
    Thanks for the tips, you guys! I think I will try some of the samples from alimapure ... they look great. I like the look of bare minerals but it makes my face really itchy -- probably the bismuth. (My new Mac bronzer, refined golden, makes me itch a little too - and it turns out to have bismuth in it too. Bummer.)

Alimapure has so many options ... I'm not sure if I am in the neutral, beige, or golden line ... but there are so many choices, I'm sure I will find a good match eventually. I wonder if they are carried at Sephora, or anywhere I could go and try out the samples?

~ Rhiannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Curl Type: 3c
    Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
    Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
    Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
    Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Posts: 1,632Banned Users
    I'm a M.A.C. junkie. Before I was reluctant to try the brand, but it's the best thing out there. As of now, I only wear M.A.C. makeup: eyeshadow, mascara, foundation, lipstick, it is all M.A.C.; I used to be a Clinique fan, but they don't carry darker shades and I'm not even that dark! I'm an NC44 in M.A.C.'s moistureblend, which is the best foundation ever! I have really dry/sensitive skin and it keeps my face moisturized throughout the day. Specktra is a good makeup forum (they're kinda pro M.A.C.) and I lurk around on some ethnic guru's videos on youtube. The best thing about M.A.C. is that my makeup lasts for months. So although it is a bit pricey, it lasts you for a lonnnnnng time. Some of my favorite youtubers:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Eily311
    http://www.youtube.com/user/QueenofBlendingMUA
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Makeupsquare
    http://www.youtube.com/user/petrilude
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MakeupByRenRen
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MakeupByLeinaBaaaby

I really love Makeupsquare and Leina.
    eIZWI.gif
    :love10:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's an interesting blog called An Indian's Makeup Blog that may have some good info. I find it pretty interesting; she also has tutorials on different look, and I figure as an Indian her skin is not pale.

I use Trish McEvoy because I had a great initial experience with them and since then the makeup artists have never put a bad face on me and they choose the colors. Left to myself I tend to get a little clownlike because I'm not good at choosing colors for my skin.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
    MakeupAlley is a good site for reviews of products & you can see the skin type/tone of the reviewer.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file