Keeping hair moisturized..Please Help!!!!

beautifulsoul06beautifulsoul06 Posts: 43Registered Users
Hello Everyone!

I just did my BC yesterday! I am not all too comfortable right now but I know that when my hair softens up a bit more I'll be very happy with it!
Having said that I am wondering what you might suggest for a 4a hair type that has a twa? I'd really love to see my curls more defined and soft.
I was going to try using a moiturizing conditioner (probaby the olive oil replenishing conditioner) as a leave in and then seal it with some olive oil. Would that work? Also, what kind of olive oil would I use? At the risk of sounding really dumb here, are we talking about extra virgin Olive Oil?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
Last relaxer: November 28 2009 :happy4:
BC'ed: February 25 2010
A very thick head of tight coils and curls/ 4a
Co Wash: Suave Naturals, V05
Leave-in: KCNT
Stylers: KCCC
Pomades: KCGP

Comments

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    Congratulations on your BC. Welcome to Naturally Curly.

The combo that you described sounds like a great place to start.

If that doesn't work out. Try adding an actual moisturizer in the middle of the conditioner and oil and see what happens. It will be trial and error for a while until you discover what combination makes your hair thrive.

Yes, Extra Virgin Olive Oil from the grocer is what you use. It's great. I used to buy mine at a discount grocer called Aldi for $3.99. I've since switched over to Castor Oil.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Hi beautifulsoul, welcome to naturallycurly :)
    Congrats on your BC :occasion9:

I agree with kinky Rohnnie, olive oil is a very good option for dealing with dry hair, as it is one of those few oils which actually penetrate the hair, and not only coat it. Actually I used to use olive oil as my leave-in before I discovered the wonders of shea butter.
    Unrefined shea butter applied to wet hair is also great, however it must be applied to wet hair, otherwise if applied to dry hair, it will just make your hair drier.
    Coconut oil is also a very good option and it smells wonderful.
    I also suggest having a spray bottle with water handy, that way if you don't feel like wetting you hair totally, you can always spray a bit of water and apply some olive oil to your moist hair. I usually apply oils or butters to wet or moist hair (not dry), I find that they work better that way.
    Another thing you can try is aloe vera gel or aloe vera juice. Some people have very good moisturizing results with both.

HTH :)
  • beautifulsoul06beautifulsoul06 Posts: 43Registered Users
    Congratulations on your BC. Welcome to Naturally Curly.

The combo that you described sounds like a great place to start.

If that doesn't work out. Try adding an actual moisturizer in the middle of the conditioner and oil and see what happens. It will be trial and error for a while until you discover what combination makes your hair thrive.

Yes, Extra Virgin Olive Oil from the grocer is what you use. It's great. I used to buy mine at a discount grocer called Aldi for $3.99. I've since switched over to Castor Oil.

Thanks so much! Nice to know I'm at least going in the right direction! I appreciate the reply!!!
  • beautifulsoul06beautifulsoul06 Posts: 43Registered Users
    taltal wrote: »
    Hi beautifulsoul, welcome to naturallycurly :)
    Congrats on your BC :occasion9:

I agree with kinky Rohnnie, olive oil is a very good option for dealing with dry hair, as it is one of those few oils which actually penetrate the hair, and not only coat it. Actually I used to use olive oil as my leave-in before I discovered the wonders of shea butter.
    Unrefined shea butter applied to wet hair is also great, however it must be applied to wet hair, otherwise if applied to dry hair, it will just make your hair drier.
    Coconut oil is also a very good option and it smells wonderful.
    I also suggest having a spray bottle with water handy, that way if you don't feel like wetting you hair totally, you can always spray a bit of water and apply some olive oil to your moist hair. I usually apply oils or butters to wet or moist hair (not dry), I find that they work better that way.
    Another thing you can try is aloe vera gel or aloe vera juice. Some people have very good moisturizing results with both.

HTH :)

Some great suggestions here! I will write them down and give them a try!!! Thanks!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file