CurlTalk

why is my bruise itchy?

Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
i slipped on the ice yesterday and ended up smacking my knee on the sidewalk. i now have a nice-sized bruise, along with a bit of a reddish bump.

tonight it started feeling itchy! i've never had an itchy bruise before. is this normal?
*~*displaced yooper*~*
:hockey: \m/ \m/
3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    A little inflammation in the bruised tissues. Some nerve damage and regeneration. There are a lot of reasons a bruise could be itchy.
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    if it persists, should i get it checked out? or are the things that cause itching often nothing to be concerned about?
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users
    I think it's pretty normal. Nerve damage is itchy. I think when the blood starts breaking up from the bruise, that will itch too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    if it persists, should i get it checked out? or are the things that cause itching often nothing to be concerned about?

Personally, I wouldn't go to the doctor for a simple bruise unless it got swollen or hot, indicating a possible blood clot or something, or unless I thought there was injury to the joint or bone. In an otherwise-healthy person, bruises usually resolve quite nicely on their own.

You should always do what you feel is best for you though.

I once went to the ER after a fall, because I was really concerned that I had a hairline fracture in my femur because it hurt like a MOFO and had a huge bruise. The ER staff practically laughed at me...jerks... My dog sniffed at that spot for months and months after the bruise went away...I really think I had a deep tissue injury or possibly a fracture. My dog has a pretty good sniffer.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I think a person has to be practically dead before she's taken seriously at the ER.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I slammed into the corner of my desk two and a half weeks ago, leaving a horrendous swollen bruise. It started itching about two days later. It's *almost* gone now - definitely more yellow than purple and not swollen at all - and it doesn't itch anymore.

You know how cuts itch when they're healing? I think it's the same type of thing.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I've had bad bruises itch like that a lot of times as they start to heal. Not more superficial ones, though.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • alexandra~alexandra~ Posts: 150Registered Users
    My mother always told me that my bruises itched because they were healing! LOL
    alexandra <3
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    i think that my be the case because today it doesn't itch, but it's all kinds of colors!
    *~*displaced yooper*~*