Highly Inspired to go CG NEED HELP!!!

Hi I just did the big chop and I'm so interested in the CG method. My hair has a natural curl to it but, i'm curious as to what products to use..... such as conditioner, leave-in and so on .... OH ALSO A GOOD SEALANT.... Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 85MR285MR2 Posts: 226Registered Users
    OK, I'm a n00b, but here goes...

From what I understand, (and please someone jump in if I'm wrong) a lot of "sealants" are going to be silicone based. You don't really want to "seal" your hair or it won't be able to absorb moisture. (also with the CG method the cone based sealants won't wash out) Instead, a good conditioner and styling product are going to be key.

I just started CG this week, and am simple in my approach. I figure I can tweak it later, after I get past the adjustment period. I'm using the Suave Naturals Coconut as cowash and rinse out and alternating in VO5 chamomile tea clarifying as cowash. For product I'm using TiGi Foxy Curls, but I like a really light product. You would probably want to try a gel, everyone seeems to like the Herbal Essenses Totally Twisted. Just really look out for silicones as you will get buildup which might affect the natural oils you are really looking to get. Good luck! I'm having great results so far!
    CG since 2/23/10!

2B 3A mix, fine texture and high porosity at crown/bangs, normal elsewhere. I like protein!

Trying to grow out a short haircut.

WASH: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (once every week or so)
    CONDITION: Jessicurl Too Shea! or Aloeba Conditioner
    STYLE: Jessicurl Gelebration Spray/Awe Inspiraling Spray

http://public.fotki.com/85MR2/ (PICS OF CG TRANSITION SO FAR) Need to update. No pics with the Jessicurl products yet, but I LOVE them!
  • poemaXXpoemaXX Posts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    85MR2 wrote: »
    a lot of "sealants" are going to be silicone based. You don't really want to "seal" your hair or it won't be able to absorb moisture

Quick correction: Curly Girls can seal with a non-silicone: oils! I've been experimenting with applying extra virgin coconut oil and jojoba oil to my hair while its still wet from the shower and I love it! It seals in the moisture from the water into the hair's cuticle, but is not suffocating to the hair like silicone buildup. :)

What is your curl type, UniquelyDefined? [http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types]
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• 85MR285MR2 Posts: 226Registered Users
    Awesome, thank you! :) I am still learning, and trying to err on the safe side if at all. I don't think my hair would take well to a leave in oil, but maybe as a deep conditioner down the road? For now I am just trying to keep it really simple, and experiment with one thing at a time. That way I can keep up (hopefully)!
    CG since 2/23/10!

2B 3A mix, fine texture and high porosity at crown/bangs, normal elsewhere. I like protein!

Trying to grow out a short haircut.

WASH: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (once every week or so)
    CONDITION: Jessicurl Too Shea! or Aloeba Conditioner
    STYLE: Jessicurl Gelebration Spray/Awe Inspiraling Spray

http://public.fotki.com/85MR2/ (PICS OF CG TRANSITION SO FAR) Need to update. No pics with the Jessicurl products yet, but I LOVE them!
  • poemaXXpoemaXX Posts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, I understand. :) I still have a big bottle of Ouidad Curl Quencher conditioner I'm trying to go through. I does have one silicone though. :/ So I'm slowly trying to replace my products with CG friendly ones.

By the way, I thought my hair wouldn't take well to oils either, so I was pleasantly surprised! If you decide to try it, make sure to apply it to wet hair.

This thread on outstanding conditioners should come in handy when looking for products to try: [http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=849869] They organize suggestions byBest Co-wash, Best Deep Conditioner, Curl Popper, Super Smoother and Best Detangler. Good luck, gals!
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• lianeandthemusiclianeandthemusic Posts: 22Registered Users
    I want to add that if you want to try using an oil but think it might be too greasy, start small. I use a pea sized amount on my wet hair with great results.
    CG for 6 months!
    2b/3a, fine hair, medium/high porosity and normal elasticity.

Routine:
    Co-wash/Leave-In: Alberto V05 Tea Therapy Conditioner in Blackberry & Sage
    Occasional Deep Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Styling Products: LA Looks Sport Gel

Dislikes: honey, heat styling, plopping, and polyquats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file