joined for myself and my daughter

I have a 5 year old daughter with hair type 3a, fine texture with normal to high porosity, that has never been cut, and now that it is half-way down her back dry I am having a harder time caring for it. I happened to find this site while looking for some products for her hair and I was amazed at the information I have been missing out on. Is there anything I need to do differently with a child's hair or should I just treat it as I would my own? I am more interested in fixing my daughter's hair before I really get after my own since I would like to keep her hair long if possible. The other day we tried a new leave-in conditioner and found that it left her hair horribly tangled after she had slept on it--I was worried it would have to be cut and it took a long time to comb through in the shower. I tried to attach a photo of her hair, it was too big and I'm not computer savvy so I found a pic of a girl's hair that is identical to hers (they could be twins!) and attached it. I myself have type 2b hair, medium texture with normal to high porosity. I always have frizz unless I coat my hair with product and iron it flat or curly, and my hair is dry. I have tried "no-poo" before and found that it made my hair greasy and dull. After researching more I think my technique was all wrong so I'm ready to try it again, both on myself and my daughter. Can anyone tell me about how long it will be before I can see results? I've also read that it may get worse before it gets better so I just want to have realistic expectations. BTW I found the photo of the girl on the "mixed chicks" hair product website, has anyone had any experience using this? Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be thorough the first time. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome. Your daughter can probably use products that are similar to the ones that you use--but you may need different products because of the differences in your hair. If you stay on nc.com, you'll get savvy with the ingredients--so you'll get to know what works. Some of the companies have lines for children, but the ingredients appear to be exactly the same.

Laura Lee's blog has a comprehensive introduction to CG:

http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/

Or a good investment for you would be Struttswife's (aka Tiffany) ebook. Which can be bought her:

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/

You can learn a lot here, especially about products and technique. Start reading the stickies at the top of the forum.

Even though you're daughter's hair hasn't been cut, I hope you are getting it trimmed on a regular basis. Some people's hair just tangles (there's a thread about it, if you search.) Dry ends, split ends will exacerbate the problem. If she hasn't had a cut, you may need to do a significant one--then keep up with the trims and she should have beautiful, long, curly hair!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mommy2katrinamommy2katrina Posts: 2Registered Users
    I read through the links you attached and the info there helps clear up a few things. I also called a salon in town that got lots of good reviews for curly cuts, to schedule a cut for my daughter. For her first 2 years she had very short hair naturally but has never even had a trim so it is past due. I hope the cut goes well and I will be maintaining it using the tips I've read online. Thanks for your help!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good luck.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file