Can't I just use a product with silicones?

Can't I just use a product with silicones as heat protectant? Why do I need to buy one that's specifically for protecting from heat? What's so different about the ingredients?

Thanx!
Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Comments

• curls 2nvcurls 2nv Registered Users Posts: 318
    i dont use a product that says heat protectant for heat protection. whats funny is that i use prosthetic silicone skin lotion given to me by my doctor, lol. but the only ingredients are dimethicone and cyclomethicone- the same as in the old formula of sabino moisture block. it works the same, looks the same, and i can basically get it for free whenever i see my doc. i also used to use frizz serums with a high concentration of silicone in them and they were good too
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • SimplyDebraSimplyDebra Registered Users Posts: 17
    Can't I just use a product with silicones as heat protectant? Why do I need to buy one that's specifically for protecting from heat? What's so different about the ingredients?

Thanx!

They are not that different, but heat protectants generally have proteins (usually silk proteins/keratin) that helps to (temporarily) fill in any damaged spots in your hair and provide additional protection.
    simplydebra.com
    Last Relaxer: 11-1-13 | Big Chop 6-28-14 :toothy8:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Registered Users Posts: 412
    I use my conditioner as a leave-in & it works fine as a heat protectant. It has 'cones in it and I have had no heat damage when flat ironing or blow drying.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file