Best home workouts

BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
As much as I'd like one, I'm just not sure I can/want to spend $50+ a month on a gym membership right now. I'm probably better off spending some of that on stuff for the house. I have free weights and a couple DVDs, but I'm pretty clueless outside of those. I've read some pretty positive things about T-Tapp, but I'm not sold yet.

Those of you who work out at home, what do you do? I always get the workout bug when spring rolls around, and I want to get started on something.

ETA: In the long run, is it better to just buy a decent elliptical or something if that's mostly what I'm interested in? I work a weird schedule, so it would certainly be nice to have access to a workout whenever I want it.
Under construction.

Comments

• BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    OK, nevermind. I'm antsy to start now, so I called a gym I found a mile away and am headed there now to look at it. They have a signup special, and you pay month to month, and they're not busy in the afternoons. That's exactly what I needed to hear.

Gyms make me nervous, but so does not being in shape. I hope I like the place. Maybe I'll get in a workout today!
    Under construction.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you change your mind, check out beachbody.com. I like their workouts a lot and have had great success.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    If you change your mind, check out beachbody.com. I like their workouts a lot and have had great success.

That looks like a great site, thanks! I went to the gym and really liked it, but I'm still trying to get my head around the cost. I'll go through the site tonight.

We don't have any real chains around here (LA Fitness, Bally, etc.), so there are no low prices for people to compete with. Even the YMCA is $57/month. Today's gym does have a month-to-month option, but it's more expensive. There's a special right now where they waive the $99 signup fee, and then it's $49/month after that in a year's contract. They'll waive the cancellation fee if you move more than 25 miles away. I'm still researching, but if I join a gym, it'll probably be this. I just need to ask whether they'll also waive the cancellation fee for medical reasons.

I really like the social aspect a gym provides, and it'd be something to get me out of the apartment every day before work; I work nights, and right now, I usually sit home until I leave. It also sounds like they need more baby sitters, and I'd be happy for a small side job with some extra cash.

It's unfortunate, but I think I'm more likely to work out if I'm not in my apartment. I need to be free of distractions, and that's difficult here.
    Under construction.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    I have a few friends doing the PX90 program. From what I hear, it's very intense.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
    Nallia wrote: »
    I have a few friends doing the PX90 program. From what I hear, it's very intense.

I've heard that, too. I've got asthma and heart issues, so anything like that is likely a no-go. :lol: I need to be able to set my own pace. I barely have to blink to get my heart rate up in the intense range.
    Under construction.
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just did a post about this on my fitness blog. I started my "home gym'' when I was a stay at home mom and couldn't afford the membership fee.
    http://runninginafatsuit.com/blog/2010/02/building-your-home-gym-on-budget/
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
    Kitathena wrote: »
    I just did a post about this on my fitness blog. I started my "home gym'' when I was a stay at home mom and couldn't afford the membership fee.
    http://runninginafatsuit.com/blog/2010/02/building-your-home-gym-on-budget/

That's great! I already have a bunch of that stuff.

I ended up signing the contract at the gym today. They'll freeze it if I move or have a doctor's note because of a health issue, which are my main concerns. I have so much free time during the day that I have time to do a lot while I'm there. I was there for two hours today, and boy, do I feel it. If I can go for one to two hours at least four days a week, I'll be happy. And if I work a day of overtime every two to three months, which isn't too difficult, that'll cover the membership cost.

The bonus expense is going to be some more workout clothes. I've got sneakers covered, but I need another pair or two of pants and a few more tees. It shouldn't break the bank, though. I'm headed to Target shortly, though I think I might be walking a little funny. It's been a long time since I've worked my legs this hard!

I already feel better knowing I have somewhere to work out every day, and that the workouts can be really diverse. Cardio is kind of boring for me, so I just rotate on all the machines: treadmill, elliptical, stair climber, bike. I think it's going to be really good for me in a lot of ways.
    Under construction.
  • rae*of*sunshinerae*of*sunshine Posts: 17Registered Users
    Befrizzled wrote: »
    As much as I'd like one, I'm just not sure I can/want to spend $50+ a month on a gym membership right now. I'm probably better off spending some of that on stuff for the house. I have free weights and a couple DVDs, but I'm pretty clueless outside of those. I've read some pretty positive things about T-Tapp, but I'm not sold yet.

Those of you who work out at home, what do you do? I always get the workout bug when spring rolls around, and I want to get started on something.

ETA: In the long run, is it better to just buy a decent elliptical or something if that's mostly what I'm interested in? I work a weird schedule, so it would certainly be nice to have access to a workout whenever I want it.

I only workout at home :) I have a bodybuilding.com account if you wanna check it for validity of my advice scn krazy_kurly

Anywho, I think free weights are a great way to start.

I suggest Envy Girls Body Envy DVDs, they have great resistance workouts that also raise your heartrate for cardio, best of both worlds!

Oxygen and M&F HERS has great workouts to get you started, too.

We picked up an elliptical at a yard sale, very basic, but I like it. I say scour Craigslist or yard sales, I don't see the point in buying them new and paying monthly on them.

Jumping rope's easy cardio, too. Well not easy but convenient :)
    Trying to figure all this out and work with the limitied supply of items at the local AAFES PX!

3a at the nape of my neck...3b everywhere else <3
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I find the easiest, most convenient DVD's to work at home to are the WALK AWAY THE POUNDS DVD's. You can do them at the most basic level of fitness too.

They offer a variety of DVD's. Ones where you can do anywhere from 1 mile up to 5 miles.

I am in love with the videos and it's amazing how these videos over the years have been a real life saver for me. I HATE working out with a passion and was KILLING myself working out. I am talking treadmills, working out at the gym, I had my husband build me a gym with all kinds of equiptment that I was using like a crazy person, I was taking Yoga and Pilates classes, I added a fitness class to the list, then I started doing Tae Bo. And I was fit and what not but I was so miserable and it became something I hated.

I heard about the Walk Away the Pounds videos and they have changed my life. I walk 5 miles 5-6 days a week...and I love it. It's helped me lose weight when I needed it and keeps me maintaining. I cut out all of the extra stuff and now I only do other videos IF and when I feel like it. My main videos to work out to are various Walk Away the Pounds DVD's and I have almost all of them.

http://www.lesliesansonevideos.com/#Advanced
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file