Ingredients in DT vs. Daily CO?

So, I am still learning and new around this website, but I managed to concoct up my own recipe for what I had planned on using as a daily CO. The problem is that using it 2 days in a row, it makes my hair too soft and frizzy. I think it should be more of a DT once a week, instead of daily. Except now I need a new recipe to make for daily use.

In the concoction I made up from reading around here was banana, strawberry, vegetable oil, water, with tbsp both aloe vera gel, and honey. I am not sure how to modify that so that my hair isn't so puffy.

I am also not sure how the proper ingredients to hair products are related to the hair porosity or dew points or all of that stuff that affects how the hair keeps moisture or humectants and protein.

Sorry if that makes no sense, these are all new words in hair care vocabulary for me, but I am pretty sure they matter in the "product" that goes into hair, and especially since making own recipes we can control them individually.

Thanks for the help,
Organic Hair Care 6/09 - 6/10; CG Method 2/10 - 6/10; Had to sulfate shampoo for a couple weeks, but starting over 7/10

Hair Type - All sorts of 3, High Porosity, Medium Texture but Thin Density, Elastic

Low Poo - Dr.Woods Liquid Castille Soap
CO Wash - Suave Naturals, Tresumme Naturals
Stylers - Jason Curl Cream, FSG, Giovanni Gel, LA Looks Sport

My highly porous hair lovees oils of any kind. Nexxus Emergencee for PT

Waiting to try: KCCC, CJ Leave In Condish, BB FSG
:love1:

Comments

• generositytgenerosityt Registered Users Posts: 245
    Welcome aboard, it's all a matter of trial and error, this will happen a lot before you learn what your hair needs and the best things for your curls!
    So, I'm no expert, but I don't think bananas and strawberry are supposed to be in recipes made for everyday use.
    Also, if it's the one we use for cooking, I'm not sure vegetable oil is good for your hair. Maybe someone else can be of a more help.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    In love with my curls, love love love
    CG since Nov/07

Co-Wash: VO5, Tresemme naturals, Fructis naturals
    Cond: Nature's Gate conditioners
    Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.
    Gel: LA Looks sports gel for high humidity days.

Hair goal: Waist length healthy curls
  • organiccurlsorganiccurls Registered Users Posts: 34
    I actually used it for a day or two before adding the fruits but I think the honey or something made my hair kindof sticky. Then after the fruits, it was better but just the first day but not the second. I read somewhere, I thought in the CG book, that any type of vegetable oil works for hair? Unless you need a specific fancy kind, I would have to look into that... Maybe I would play around with them and not fruits? :dontknow:
    Organic Hair Care 6/09 - 6/10; CG Method 2/10 - 6/10; Had to sulfate shampoo for a couple weeks, but starting over 7/10

Hair Type - All sorts of 3, High Porosity, Medium Texture but Thin Density, Elastic

• CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Registered Users Posts: 1,174
    Have you tried olive or coconut oil LOADS of people have had good experiences with them :)
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • organiccurlsorganiccurls Registered Users Posts: 34
    Well, to get the frizz out the next day after and the rest of the week, I used some EVOO. I know that in cooking, they can be interchangeable so I just kinda assumed that you could use plain regular vegetable oil for hair too. I also just today looked into buying some Coconut Oil, so I have to read up to figure out the proper uses for it that won't mess up my hair:happy3:.

I think the concoction that I used could still be decent as DT but only once a week and not daily. Now to figure out what to use daily instead ...

• OyaOshunOyaOshun Registered Users Posts: 5
    Do you really need to be conditioning it everyday?

If my hair needs moisture each day between washes I tend to use a detangling leave-in / reviving spritz rather than rewashing everyday. Even the mildest conditioning products can end up stripping and / or over conditioning your hair with too frequent use.

But if you really must condition then a liquidy light one containing oils like jojoba, pathenol, EVOO, EVCO, avocado oils etc would be better. Mixed with hair conditioning infusions like rosemary, chamomile, marshmallow they would make the perfect light daily conditioner.

The focus of a daily conditioner I believe is to replenish moisture rather than heavy duty conditioning.

HTH :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file