Not using any hair products - can help with alopecia?

MEDUSAbabyMEDUSAbaby Posts: 14Registered Users
Two months ago, i found a small bald patch in the middle of my scalp, about the size of a 50p coin.

I hadn't dyed my hair, at all, just the usual wash, condition, hair gel, plop etc....i was also trying no-poo and water only hair wash methods this past year...trying not to use too much products, i've also never relaxed or straightend my hair, i am on anti-depressants though, is that what could be causing it? i've also noticed thinning of my hair and dullness....needless to say, i found a bald patch and it has really distressed me.

Anyway since i found the patch, i've been trying to keep my scalp as irritated-free as possible. Does anyone here still use hair products even if their balding? I've pretty much cut out products, i just shampoo, condition, rinse and then plait my hair, cos without products, my curls just becomes a frizzy mess....i miss my curls, but i think i need to give my hair/scalp a break anyway and keep it product free for a while, just natural.

Will going natural and not using any hair products (gel, moouse, leave-in conditioner etc) help improve hair growth in alopecia-prone/bald scalps etc in any way? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance. :crybaby:

Comments

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    You need to see a doctor. 90% of hair loss is genetic and requires medication.
    Take pictures of your bald spot in case the hair grows back by the time you get to the doctor.

Hair loss can be from disease, vitamin deficiencies, hormone changes, stress, etc.

Alopecia
    http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec10/ch124/ch124b.html

Hair loss
    http://www.marieclaire.com/hair-beauty/trends/articles/thinning-hair

I've never heard/read that going product free will help. Of course, if your products are irritating your scalp, that's different. Most of the product is applied to your
    hair not your scalp.
    Take care
  • MEDUSAbabyMEDUSAbaby Posts: 14Registered Users
    I've never heard/read that going product free will help. Of course, if your products are irritating your scalp, that's different. Most of the product is applied to your
    hair not your scalp.
    Take care

Ah! I see. Yeah that makes sense, although i do put product towards the roots of my hair sometimes and it may accidently go on my scalp. But thank you so much for your reply & advice :toothy9:

I'll definitely see a doc, got an appt tommorow actually, so i'll go check it out in more depth.

Thanks again! Take care.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I just posted this beautiful story about living with alopecia.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file