New Topic: What product worked that you were SURE woudn't?

AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Registered Users Posts: 2,364
So what product (s) worked for you that you were SURE wouldn't based on X (e.g. your hair's texture, porosity, etc).

So I thought that Mop C Hydrating Conditioner and BellaCurls products might not work for me as they were designed for drier (Bella) or coarser (Mop C) hair than mine

I also thought Darcy's Botanical's Tucuma Butter Whip and Coconut and Aloe pudding would be too heavy for my fine hair -- wrong there again. Love them!

So do share--what's surprised you that's worked when you were sure it wouldn't?
FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/

Comments

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Registered Users Posts: 900
    I was sure Ecostyler would bomb. Same with Lustrasilk. And both have really worked well for me.

Though I've discovered that I can't use the latter in weather over about 30 degrees. My hair the past few days has been a little limp, and I'm pretty sure it's using the Lustrasilk in the warmer weather.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • goobernutgoobernut Registered Users Posts: 2,317
    Gillian Hair Butter. I was sure that something labeled "butter" wouldn't work for my hair. But man, that is the best stuff evah for SOTC.

The whole concept of a creamy thick leave-in on my hair. Until I accidentally did it -- thought I had bought a styler at the drugstore -- and I had picked up the leave-in that was in an extremely similar bottle next to it. The back of my hair -- which tends to be straighter, was nice and even. It wasn't until a couple of uses later that I realized what was going on. Hah! Now I always use that type of leave in.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • Tomorrow Never KnowsTomorrow Never Knows Registered Users Posts: 320
    I was fairly sure Tigi MM wouldn't work for me, but when I tried it out in higher dews it was my HG!
    Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC
  • hookilauhookilau Registered Users Posts: 269
    I was *sure* [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] wouldn't work for me.
    I'd never had a store bought product my hair liked enough to not act the fool.:confused5: Every other styler (gel, mousse) was always either too heavy, too sticky, too crunchy....it was always too something.
    Following CG
    fine, medium-low density :confused5:
    protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
    LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
    Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews
    :happy3:
  • dark_wavesdark_waves Registered Users Posts: 611
    I was sure Ecostyler would bomb. Same with Lustrasilk. And both have really worked well for me.

Though I've discovered that I can't use the latter in weather over about 30 degrees. My hair the past few days has been a little limp, and I'm pretty sure it's using the Lustrasilk in the warmer weather.

I think I can only use it once a week, or at least not on consecutive days...when I did it was too much for my hair.
    FIA: 2b/cFii
    normal porosity
  • dark_wavesdark_waves Registered Users Posts: 611
    I didn't think my hair would like Spiral Solutions Emollience, thought butters were too much for my hair, but it loves it as a finisher.

I thought for sure Kiss My Face Upper Management would give me a bad hair day since it seemed to dry it out as I put it on, but it is an HG!

I though EcoStyler would be too much hold since it says it's a 10 on a scale of 1-10, but it isn't at all - another HG for me (can't beat the price either).

*AJJ - now you have me wanting to try the Darcy's products...
    FIA: 2b/cFii
    normal porosity
  • gekko422gekko422 Registered Users Posts: 4,869 Curl Connoisseur
    goobernut wrote: »
    Now I always use that type of leave in.

And that leave in is....???
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • SusieQinSusieQin Registered Users Posts: 212
    I thought that Curl Junkie's HBHB would be too heavy for my hair. My hair is so fine and heavy products can give it that wet greasey look.

Well.... It's done great! I've even used it as a leave in! Mind you for any leave ins to work my hair needs to be sopping wet, but my hair still just soaked it right up and I've had a fantastic hair day!

I'm thinking that I may be able to get away with heavier products after all as long as I am smart about how to apply them. My hair just always seems so thirsty.
    CG Since 2010
    Hair Attributes: Mixed 2 with 3A undergrowth & no root curl.
    Fine, Thin, Easily Manipulated, Easily Styled, Easy to Frizz, and Easy to damage.

Favorites: CJ Daily Fix, CJ Rehab, Anything Spiral Solutions, Darcy Botanicals Pumpkin Seed

New Goals To restore my hair after dying it twice in two weeks. Learning more about products found in the stores to fit my tight budget. I'm still working on trying to grow out my hair.
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Registered Users Posts: 1,540 Curl Novice
    Ecostyler gel (olive oil)...I was done with "inexpensive" gels, I thought. Ecostyler works wonderfully in my hair. Now I know what all the rave was about. Love it!

Hair butters....My hair is not fine or thin but I thought they would be too heavy for my hair....not so. Hair butters, creams and puddings...oh my! My hair loves them! :)
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • goobernutgoobernut Registered Users Posts: 2,317
    gekko422 wrote: »
    goobernut wrote: »
    Now I always use that type of leave in.

And that leave in is....???

CJ Curl Assurance Leave-in or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-BeautiCurls-Leave-in-Hair-Conditioner-p-998.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-BeautiCurls-Leave-In-Conditioner]CJ Beauticurls Leave-in[/buylink]. I've also used LOOC succesfully and Hairveda MCPro makes a great leave in. I've found my hair likes the thick stuff better than the spray leave ins.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • gekko422gekko422 Registered Users Posts: 4,869 Curl Connoisseur
    Hmmm, I did not sample those when I sampled the CJ line....
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • FroggiloreFroggilore Registered Users Posts: 141
    Deva Curl Heaven in Hair deep treatment. Actually one of the best leave in's I've found yet. I haven't like any other of their products but I thought I'd give this one try and it's pretty nice! Mousse only instead of gel for hold, specifically Giovanni mousse. Finally getting consistent good hair days with it alone.
    Hair type: 2a/b, medium to fine texture, medium to high porosity (I think!)
    Routine: Occasionally wash with Lavender baby shampoo. CO wash with Garnier triple nutrition conditioner, use a nickel sized blob as a leave in, scrunch out a little water, scrunch in some aloe gel (FOTE), then scrunch in some Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (BRHG). Plop with a backwards turbie twist for 10 min - to overnight.
    CG since 23 May 2009! (with some minor slips)
  • SusieQinSusieQin Registered Users Posts: 212
    Ok CJ Rehab coconut & gardenia is an *OMG* product for me! It feels thicker than the HBHB and I've tried it twice now as a leave in... my hair soaks it up at the ends and keeps my ends so moist and most of all.... no greasy looking hair!! Lastly.. I LURVE the smell! (Gardenia just happens to be my fav floral smell)

Next time, I'm going to use the HBHB as my rinse out and then the rehab as a leave in.... both are heavy products so we'll see!
    CG Since 2010
    Hair Attributes: Mixed 2 with 3A undergrowth & no root curl.
    Fine, Thin, Easily Manipulated, Easily Styled, Easy to Frizz, and Easy to damage.

Favorites: CJ Daily Fix, CJ Rehab, Anything Spiral Solutions, Darcy Botanicals Pumpkin Seed

New Goals To restore my hair after dying it twice in two weeks. Learning more about products found in the stores to fit my tight budget. I'm still working on trying to grow out my hair.
  • kayaellekayaelle Registered Users Posts: 301
    For awhile, I refused to use a leave in (or a rinse out for that matter, and I still don't unless it's a protein based one)...

then I got a sample of KCKT. I can't tell you how much I love it. It's light enough for my fine, thin hair. I don't use a lot at all... a pea-dime size.

I did the curly holiday swap and RCC gave me a 3oz bottle... I think it will last me FOREVER!!
    Rhode Island - New England curly
    2c-3a/F/i (Fia), shoulder length, need it cut!
    Mod-CG since 10/09 - over 1 year!!

Cleanse: Suave condish, WF 365 lavender poo, soap, BS/ACV
    Leave in: KCKT, CJ CF
    Current winter stylers: CJ SG (HG!), AOMM, Boots, ALWAYS top w/ BRHG
    PT: AOGPB, Emergencee, CJ CF
    Diffuser dependent!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file