CurlTalk

Bikini Wax

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
Ok, I have made my first appointment for this - 1 week before we go on our vacation to Mexico. Does anyone have tips for me??? I have heard to take ibuprofen before, wear loose clothing etc - anything else?
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

  • esmeraldaesmeralda Posts: 187Registered Users
    Dont do it "that time of the month"-you are more sensitive around that time.
    & exfoliate 24 hours after & twice weekly to avoid ingrowns.
    Good luck!
    2C/3A,jetblack indian curls:)
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    Good point. I checked the calender and I am good for the date :)
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    When you laying there and its about to begin, you MUST RELAX! The more you tense up, the worse it will be. And yes, it's a good idea to take motrin about an hour before.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

    It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I will practice my deeeeeep breathing!!

    What do you exfoliate with 'down' there?? I have the Sally Hansen no bump pads and they mention they exfoliate - is that all I need to do?? Damn I am so uninformed :?
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote:
    I will practice my deeeeeep breathing!!

    What do you exfoliate with 'down' there?? I have the Sally Hansen no bump pads and they mention they exfoliate - is that all I need to do?? Damn I am so uninformed :?

    Anyone?
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    I just use a loofah to exfoliate. Also there are creams out there that numb the area so that they lessen the pain. You put it on about 40 min prior to the wax.

    I'm so used to them now I stop going to get it done and do it myself at home. Also with your period. Not only shouldn't you do it during that time but also when your'e close like a few days to a week before it. It hurts more when you do it around that time.

    Good luck.
  • BurlesqueCantataBurlesqueCantata Posts: 113Registered Users
    i thought it would hurt like hell, but its not terribly painful for me. i never had a brazilian wax though-save that for when i have real courage!

    for me, feeling warm, but not sweaty and taking aleve or advil an hour before you go in.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    loofah, loofah, loofah and loofah.

    loofah the area very well up to the day of your wax, and especially well the day before. to take and ibuprofen about an hour or so beforehand (helps with inflammation).

    afterward, don't put anything occlusive on the area (no lotions or anything), and don't wear tight underwear (actually, i go commando as much as possible the couple of days after a wax - at least while sleeping).

    you can use a cortisone cream if you want, to calm the area. i also use neosporin on my upper lip area to avoid folliculitis. azulene oil (especially one that contains bha) is good too. you can ask your esthetician if she stocks anything like this.

    then make sure you loofah well daily, using something with glycolic or salicylic acid if you want (i use a cleansing cream w/salicylic acid intended for acne).

    make sure you keep the area moisturized as well.

    all of these things will help prevent ingrowns and bumps.

    don't use tend skin or bikini zone - they just irritate the skin and prevent healing because of some of their ingredients (thus creating a vicious cycle).

    consistent manual exfoliation works best for me.

    hth!

    m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg



    weight.png



  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    mayim wrote:
    loofah, loofah, loofah and loofah.

    loofah the area very well up to the day of your wax, and especially well the day before. to take and ibuprofen about an hour or so beforehand (helps with inflammation).

    afterward, don't put anything occlusive on the area (no lotions or anything), and don't wear tight underwear (actually, i go commando as much as possible the couple of days after a wax - at least while sleeping).

    you can use a cortisone cream if you want, to calm the area. i also use neosporin on my upper lip area to avoid folliculitis. azulene oil (especially one that contains bha) is good too. you can ask your esthetician if she stocks anything like this.

    then make sure you loofah well daily, using something with glycolic or salicylic acid if you want (i use a cleansing cream w/salicylic acid intended for acne).

    make sure you keep the area moisturized as well.

    all of these things will help prevent ingrowns and bumps.

    don't use tend skin or bikini zone - they just irritate the skin and prevent healing because of some of their ingredients (thus creating a vicious cycle).

    consistent manual exfoliation works best for me.

    hth!

    m
    Hi, question. What is folliculitis and how does neosporin prevent folliculitis?Thanks. :D
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    i thought it would hurt like hell, but its not terribly painful for me. i never had a brazilian wax though-save that for when i have real courage!

    for me, feeling warm, but not sweaty and taking aleve or advil an hour before you go in.

    Funny thing, the area where the bikini wax is done hurts less than the top area. It's really sensitive on top and on the side near the pelvic area. The part(partdon my language..the lip area :lol: ) actually hurts less and also the back area if getting it done all the way.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    JerseyCurl wrote:
    Hi, question. What is folliculitis and how does neosporin prevent folliculitis?Thanks. :D

    folliculitis happens when the hair follicle becomes inflamed or infected. it happens easily for me with an upper lip wax (or threading, actually, in my case) because bacteria can form in the newly open pores.

    i can get a big crop of red bumpy whiteheads. washing with a salicylic acid cleanser (before and after hair removal), followed by a cool water rinse and then applying neosporin prevents this for me.

    m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg



    weight.png



  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    mayim wrote:
    JerseyCurl wrote:
    Hi, question. What is folliculitis and how does neosporin prevent folliculitis?Thanks. :D

    folliculitis happens when the hair follicle becomes inflamed or infected. it happens easily for me with an upper lip wax (or threading, actually, in my case) because bacteria can form in the newly open pores.

    i can get a big crop of red bumpy whiteheads. washing with a salicylic acid cleanser (before and after hair removal), followed by a cool water rinse and then applying neosporin prevents this for me.

    m
    Thanks. One more question, why does it help with this? Meaning, what is neosporin supposed to do anyway? Thanks. :D
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    JerseyCurl wrote:
    Thanks. One more question, why does it help with this? Meaning, what is neosporin supposed to do anyway? Thanks. :D

    it's an antibiotic cream.

    m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg



    weight.png



  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    mayim wrote:
    JerseyCurl wrote:
    Thanks. One more question, why does it help with this? Meaning, what is neosporin supposed to do anyway? Thanks. :D

    it's an antibiotic cream.

    m
    Cool, thanks. :D
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "