Heat Damage Response

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I recently watched a video by LexiWithTheCurls a.k.a. AlexisNicole3C titled Heat Damage.

I agree with her frustration and anger, but what really bothers me is lack of knowledge that some stylists have. I'm disappointed because with I thought by now they would have developed techniques to minimize heat damage with whatever instrument they use.

My hair has been straightened with the hot comb (gas and electric) and a flat iron (previously placed in a stove). In each case, the stylist would place the comb or iron on a white paper towel. If the towel turned ANY shade of brown (light or dark), the stylist would place the comb or iron on a "rest" to cool. Then after a minute, test it again. If the paper towel remained white after the comb or iron touched it, then it was place in my hair.

Whatever happened to these "old, but safe" techniques? Have they been tossed aside simply because this is the 21st century? I'm sure her (LexiWithTheCurls) hair will grow back, but IMO with the supposed safeguards today, the "hair burning" experience should never happen in a beauty salon.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
 *This list is not exhaustive...
CoWash: various
DT: various
Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
Spritz/Sealant:not now
*experimenting and loving it!

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    whenever you use heat or chemicals you're playing russian roulette with your hair--no matter how careful you or your stylist is. the only way to guarantee that you wont suffer heat or chemical damage is to stay away from them.

i think people need to take responsibility and accountability for their hair. stop blaming everything on stylists. you can take every precaution, but you never know how your hair is going to react when heat or chemicals are involved. i color my hair all the time and i will break out the flat iron or have it straightened at a salon, but i always know that whatever happens its ultimately on me because i agreed to have it done.

its kind of like sex--the only way to be 100% safe is to abstain!:laughing9:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote: »
    whenever you use heat or chemicals you're playing russian roulette with your hair--no matter how careful you or your stylist is. the only way to guarantee that you wont suffer heat or chemical damage is to stay away from them.

its kind of like sex--the only way to be 100% safe is to abstain!:laughing9:

Lol.. :thumright:

This is why I only flat iron once or maybe twice a year.
    I have no desire to have to start all over with my hair growth or to destroy all the work and effort I put into my hair these last few years.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    right before summer i DIY flat ironed and once i washed: BAM curls permanently loosened. At first i was happy with it bc it was easy to deal with and always looked amazing. That is until it started to grow out. For all intents and purposes I'm transisitioning all over again :cussing:. At first I was thinking about curly perming some of it back to match the rest of it but now ill probalbly long term "transisition" for maybe 2 years before i just cut it off (my hair is finally past apl and I'm too used to having it longer to go back lol). But its really upsetting that ONE flat iron job completely stepped on 2 years worth of effort.
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file