A question for 3c's with fine hair who do twists

millie_(A)TCKmillie_(A)TCK Posts: 404Registered Users
What products do you use? Is it better to use a heavier buttery product to make the twists hold or use gel (which I am anti)? I use light products on my hair but they don't hold twists and I want to start doing more protective styling. Thanks for all the advice.
3c/4a. Very Fine and Thin.
Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root butter creme, Curl Junkie, Abba Pure Gentle leave-in
Styling Products: Curls Souffle, Curl Junkie Coffee Creme
Curl Cremes: Jessicurl Confident Coils
Conditioners: Deva Curl One, Mixed Chics DC, Nature's Gate Biotin
DT:AO Honeysuckle Rose, Coconut oil.

Comments

• rhiannonrhiannon Posts: 80Registered Users
    Hi Millie,
    This is a bit OT and not an answer to your question (sorry!) because I don't do twists. But I was just wondering why you are anti-gel? I also don't like to use gel - I find that with all the leave-in I use, that seems to provide enough hold. So I've been wondering why using gel seems to be such a basic part of most people's CG routine. Or is gel mostly just for people with straighter hair? (I think we might have similar hair types, mine is 3c and also very fine and thin.)
    thanks, and hope I'm not derailing your thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Curl Type: 3c
    Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
    Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
    Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
    Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The answer to your question could be different dependent upon the reasoning for your twists and how you are wanting to do them (ie....wet or dry hair). When I say reasoning I mean do you want wear your twists as an actual style or do you want to do them for the sole purpose of wearing a twist-out the next day.

I personally do twists on an old Wash-n-Go,which means my hair is dry and I am currently using Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme. I don't prefer to use products that have hold just because I like soft hair and I don't want to take the chance of hard crunchy hair, which is what I have heard can happen.

I have done twists three times that I've actually worn. That was during the Summer, after I used Protein laden products without knowing I was protein sensitive and was trying to get the moisture back. During that time I did them wet with Curls Souffle, which doesn't have any hold.

As for the other question regarding why people use Gels I think everyone has their own reason. I rarily use gel personally. I have used a protein free, alcohol free gel when I was going to be out in the rain (meaning sitting out on the patio somewhere with my friends) for numerous hours to prevent frizz. For that I took about a half dollar amount and scrunched it in my hair (it was MBL at that time). I did that on two occasions and was able to sit on the patio while it rained for about 3-4 hours without experiencing frizzy or poofy hair. It was wonderful and because of that I will always keep some at hand. But, the 32oz one I purchased should last me a few years (unless it goes bad before then). I don't think I leave-in would work for that purpose!!

Also, remember gel can be relatively inexpensive to those that may be on a budget. I believe the biggest sizes (32oz or bigger) cost no more $8 (I'm guessing here since I've only purchased once in my life) and will last a while. You can't find a leave-in for that price for that amount of product.

Anyway, I'm sure others will chime in with their reasoning.
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • millie_(A)TCKmillie_(A)TCK Posts: 404Registered Users
    This is a bit OT and not an answer to your question (sorry!) because I don't do twists. But I was just wondering why you are anti-gel?

Hello Rhiannon

Gel seems to work amazingly well on a lot of peoples hair and for a long time I thought I was doing something wrong because [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and Fantasia IC gel just didn't provide my hair with amazing curls. It just made my hair look like a jerricurl and whats worse, it didn't provide much moisture. After months of trying to get them to work on me, I got an epiphany and realized I was treating me hair as if it was as thick as that of others. Since discovering light styling products (god sent) I've avoided gels.

btw your hair looks a lot like mine in ur tiny avatar.

I totally need to update my pic btw, that was done when I was still experimenting with gels.
    The answer to your question could be different dependent upon the reasoning for your twists and how you are wanting to do them (ie....wet or dry hair). When I say reasoning I mean do you want wear your twists as an actual style or do you want to do them for the sole purpose of wearing a twist-out the next day.

I personally do twists on an old Wash-n-Go,which means my hair is dry and I am currently using Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme. I don't prefer to use products that have hold just because I like soft hair and I don't want to take the chance of hard crunchy hair, which is what I have heard can happen.

I'll try doing it first on wet hair, I think thats easier. I went to a hair store today and they recommended just using whatever styling products I normally use and just seal with shea butter. Funny enough I almost bought DB's Madagscar Vanilla Styling creme.
    3c/4a. Very Fine and Thin.
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root butter creme, Curl Junkie, Abba Pure Gentle leave-in
    Styling Products: Curls Souffle, Curl Junkie Coffee Creme
    Curl Cremes: Jessicurl Confident Coils
    Conditioners: Deva Curl One, Mixed Chics DC, Nature's Gate Biotin
    DT:AO Honeysuckle Rose, Coconut oil.
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll try doing it first on wet hair, I think thats easier. I went to a hair store today and they recommended just using whatever styling products I normally use and just seal with shea butter. Funny enough I almost bought DB's Madagscar Vanilla Styling creme.

OK....not sure what my problem is with comprehension!! But, since I do actually use products on my Wash-n-Go's that means I already have product in my hair before I use the DBMVSC LOL!! Therefore, I should have listed those products for you! For my Wash-n-Go's currently I apply Curls Souffle first, then a mix of Safflower Oil and Castor oil. I scrunch the oil in and not shingle it like I do with the Souffle. This past Summer I was using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] as my leave-in. Then applying [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and lastly scrunching in Castor Oil or JC Nourish and Shine.

I don't use a leave-in with the Curls Souffle because I can't find one that works with it at the moment. I may start buying the Quenched Curl Moisturizer again (I hate the way it sprays out). But, we'll see.
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • saharasahara Posts: 149Registered Users
    I've battled this forever. The key to great twists with fine hair is dry hair that's been stretched and oiled, and a nice buttery product like any from Afroveda. Wet twists will shrink too much and gel products will make them look scalpy.
  • whimsywhimsy Posts: 48Registered Users
    Maybe do your twists on damp hair that's had a bit of time to dry in a few fat braids.

Also, I usually just moisturize the length of my hair with a light moisturizer like cantu's conditioning cream, and then at the very ends for hold I use a heavier mixture of shea butter/coconut oil.

This works for me, maybe it'll work for you...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file