Is My Hair Overmoisturized?

LilaGirlLilaGirl Posts: 1,177Registered Users
So I'd say its been almost 2 months that I went off all shampoos and cones and sulfates, etc. and started my CG routine. I even started using honey and I do a low-poo about once every 2 weeks.

(I only cowash every 3 days). But I notice my curl has changed. It looks shrunken and shriveled. Def. MUCH MUCH less frizz. I really never get frizz. But it's like my long hair actually looks shorter b/c the curl is all scrunched...

What do you think?

Also, I'm still looking for suggestions on products. I love stuff that weighs down my hair while defining my curls. Open to suggestions!
3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
(don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!

Comments

• NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LilaGirl wrote: »
    So I'd say its been almost 2 months that I went off all shampoos and cones and sulfates, etc. and started my CG routine. I even started using honey and I do a low-poo about once every 2 weeks.

(I only cowash every 3 days). But I notice my curl has changed. It looks shrunken and shriveled. Def. MUCH MUCH less frizz. I really never get frizz. But it's like my long hair actually looks shorter b/c the curl is all scrunched...

What do you think?

Also, I'm still looking for suggestions on products. I love stuff that weighs down my hair while defining my curls. Open to suggestions!

I really dont believe in hair being over conditioned unless you find that co-washing leves your hair limp and such, and even in that case Im more likely to blame ineffective removal of the styling aid vs a bad co-wash. Not your case. So...

Sorry to say but congratulations... you are now meeting your REAL hair off the bad stuff most likely. Your actual curl pattern is now coming through. It happened to me as well but on top of bad products I was also using massive amts of heat so now I'm transitioning--THE TRANSITION!! (ugh!).

Ok.. so curl elongators. Funnily enough [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] for me is one but many girls within our class say they get shrinkage.
    Also Deva Curl.. particularly if you use OC as leave in I've found.
    Any hair milk (KBB Nectar, CDHM, etc) adds weight for me

Are you protein sensitive? I always find that protein laden products definitely elongate me big time.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • LilaGirlLilaGirl Posts: 1,177Registered Users
    Wow, your responses are super helpful.

Yes! "Shrinkage" is what I'm getting! So weird. It's like my hair is "crumbled" :) I can't describe it, but shrinkage is a good word! I'll try the milks.

Not sure about protein or how I would know. I tend to think I'd do great with it. Any suggestions?

And what's OC?

Wow, your responses are super helpful.

Yes! "Shrinkage" is what I'm getting! So weird. It's like my hair is "crumbled" :) I can't describe it, but shrinkage is a good word! I'll try the milks.

Not sure about protein or how I would know. I tend to think I'd do great with it. Any suggestions?

And what's OC?

OC= OneCondition

Far as protein goes, a lot of conditioners and styling agents have ingredients like " wheat protein, slik protein, hydrolzed protein"--basically it says protein of some sort and there are quite a bit of curlies who are sensitive to it in that it can make you hair look elongated to a hot mess...lol! Actually.. ecostyler (krystal) is like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] but with protein loaded into it so perhaps you should try it as the quick, dirty (and cheap) way to see if ur sensitive. Its gotten such rave reviews it almost makes me wanna defy my curls and try it.. ;)

oh btw.. ever used a few drops of honey in your styler? Turned my 3b to 3a..... with good frizz control.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    Actually, I have a feeling it's the cowashing. I do feel like I need to shampoo - I use different shampoos with no sulfites (is that what we don't want?) ... something is making my hair kind of limp - as you said - and shrinking...

• NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    Shrinkage is a normal part of curly hair. As your hair is getting healthier it is beginning to curl more so it is shrinking.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    When you over condition, your hair is typically very poufy and no matter how much styling product you put on it you can't any definition in your curls.

As already stated, you have shrinkage which is a good thing :)
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    But the shrinkage isn't consistent. It's like one part of my hair will be longer and one will "shrivel" up...

How do I know what a good hair cut is for me with all this ... "shrinkage"??

And so with CG, you don't want to elongate your curls? I kind of liked when my curls were looser and elongated (but still defined.)

But the shrinkage isn't consistent. It's like one part of my hair will be longer and one will "shrivel" up...

Well... what parts we talking? like one side of your head is different from another or that throughoput your hair there are different curl patterns going. If the latter is the case then that normal as no one curl is alike. There are several ppl (myself included) with combination hair.
    How do I know what a good hair cut is for me with all this ... "shrinkage"??

And so with CG, you don't want to elongate your curls? I kind of liked when my curls were looser and elongated (but still defined.)

The goal of CG is NOT elongation.. its helping you have the healthiest hair possible so that you can achieve your full curl potential. Next thing.. Im thinking a deva cut would do you some good since they cut curl by curl and perhaps the curls lagging need the help of the scissors to catch up with the rest. Cutting a bouncy curl.. will only make it bouncier.

Now how you like your curls to fall depends on the person. Some like looser curls and some like tighter curls.. some like volume.. and some don't. Personal prefs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

Girl you're trynna be 2a from a 3b/3c..LOL... that's very difficult to achieve and you'd have to be a permanent slave to chemicals b/c as soon as you're roots start showing its gonna send you into a tailspin. Plus you'll reenter the unhealthy cycle that made your hair unhappy in the 1st place.
    (But that girl barely has curls) and this is me:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=7474&d=1265323266

Haha! I have a long way to go.

Girl you need to quit and your hair is beautiful, full and healthy. People are out there faking what comes naturally to you. However, noone can force you to embrace what's yours.

Well.. seems like you have a decision to make and you have to do what you feel is right for you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    Haha. Okay. Maybe that photo was a bit extreme! I'm just so sick of my mop of hair. I'd love some highlights and for it to not look like it did in 8th grade!

Haha. Okay. Maybe that photo was a bit extreme! I'm just so sick of my mop of hair. I'd love some highlights and for it to not look like it did in 8th grade!

Then perhaps a 1/2 head of highlights and a professional cut is in order. :) Where do u live again? NC.com highlights salons based on city... Im in NYC.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    I'm in NJ...

I don't think I can do highlights b/c my hair is so porous and it would just disintigrate.

I'm in NJ...

I don't think I can do highlights b/c my hair is so porous and it would just disintigrate.

well maybe not half a head then just the crown for a bit of change. That's not much hair but it can totally brighten you up. That's what the Pintura is based on @ Devachan.

Perhaps you need to mosey on to the city.. for a day trip and a lil makeover.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    Haha, yeah, tell my six-month-old daughter that! She is nursing and won't take a bottle...! :)

But I do need to get into the city... What is Pintura?

Haha, yeah, tell my six-month-old daughter that! She is nursing and won't take a bottle...! :)

But I do need to get into the city... What is Pintura?

Ah... now that makes things difficult. Postpartum hair makes many new moms frustrated....

Pintura= coloring technique done for curlies @ Devachan salons. Those trained by Deva should know it. Check the explanation out here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/hair_color/the-art-of-highlighting-curls

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    Yeah, my hair is shedding a lot so it's hard right now. Wow, the hair in that pic of the Pintura description is AWESOME! I love the caramel highlights...

I read about pintura, but that still uses bleach - and my hair would prob. disintegrate!

I read about pintura, but that still uses bleach - and my hair would prob. disintegrate!

Well if you are losing hair and your hair isnt stable the last thing you need is color. As a brunette the only way to affect change in your hair is to add peroxide to strip the color. You need an experienced stylist to consult with to see what can and cant be done to your hair. Porous hair simply means they cannot leave it on long and your hair takes it quickly (you need less exposure to the product). May be a good thing.. who knows-- get a consult.

Good luck girlie. :) Peace!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

Leave a Comment