CurlTalk

breastfeeding and sleeping thru night?

deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,466Registered Users
like most of you know I am fairly new at this "breastfeeding thing" so forgive me if I seem dumb.

for the first time tonight Colin slept along time.. I nursed him at 9pm before putting him down and was told by my pediatrician that I could let him indicate when he wanted to nurse since he was gaining good weight..

I woke up a 2:30am and noticed he was still fast asleep.. I debated waking him and even woke up hubby (which he loved) to ask him what he thought.. I ended up waking Colin and nursed him for a while and now put him back down..

should I have woken him or in the future just let him sleep? who knows he may of woken up in a while.

Thanks for the .02

D

PS: He's a bit over 1 month old..
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Once past the newborn jaundice problem, I'd only wake for missed daytime feedings. Never at night. Leave a sleeping baby asleep.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    Definitely let him sleep! Enjoy some good rest, lucky mama! :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,466Registered Users
    thanks for the advice...
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    I never woke a baby to nurse at night. If they're sleeping, that's just fine with me. :lol:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,466Registered Users
    I have one more question.... I just got my period back.. I don't understand it. I admit I don't breastfeed 100% of the time. maybe 90% (with one or two occasional formula bottles)

maybe that's the reason... ??

again sorry for the dumb questions

d
  • buckeyebuckeye Posts: 129Registered Users
    Hi :) I'm not expert by any means, but if he's only just over a month old, I believe the bleeding still falls under the post-partum realm...I've read it can taper off, then come back again heavier...but this soon, I don't believe it would actually be af...
    :toothy7: on my CG journey since 10/31/09
    **2-3ish mix/coarse/med-high porosity/v thick/graying, color treated
    cleansers: CJ DF
    co-wash: TJ TTT/Suave DC
    rinse out/treatments: YTT/YTC/HSH Pumpkin/CJ CR/AO GPB
    Stylers: homemade FSG/HETMS spray
    :thumbleft: pixiecurl diffusing in winter, air drying in summer, Icequeen method, combing right before plopping
    :thumbdown: glycerin, panthenol, heavy oils, diffusing in summer, Suave Cherry Blossom co, gel :(
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    deedles wrote: »
    I have one more question.... I just got my period back.. I don't understand it. I admit I don't breastfeed 100% of the time. maybe 90% (with one or two occasional formula bottles)

d

It's possibly a period. But it could also be lochia re-starting. You could just not be fully healed yet and just overdoing your physical activities.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I wouldn't wake him...
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    deedles wrote: »

d

It's possibly a period. But it could also be lochia re-starting. You could just not be fully healed yet and just overdoing your physical activities.

That would be my guess, as well. I know I didn't fully stop bleeding until about the 6 week mark. If I was overdoing it, it definitely was heavier. Try taking it easy for a few days and see if it gets lighter.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    Nope, don't wake that sleeping baby and enjoy the sleep. :)

I didn't stop bleeding until almost the 6 week mark...so my guess is what RCW said. I will say with my second kiddo that my period came back faster.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I would let him sleep. Callie slept through the night around a month old (maybe??) until around 2.5 months, then started waking to eat again until around 5 months. I always pumped at midnight (she got her last feed at 9 during that time).

I got my period back at 6 week (after post partum bleeding for 5.4 weeks) and have had consistant regular back to normal cycles since then. I was BFing/pumping for her 100% of the time (besides two days that I had weddings I was in). If she did get a bottle (when I had issues with feeding) I would pump before/after or when she was eating.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • poisonivypoisonivy Posts: 1,551Registered Users
    My little guy "slept through the night" for the first time last night. Of course he woke up at 5:00 but he went to bed around 10 so I think thats pretty good for a 2 1/2 month old breastfed baby. I would never wake up a sleeping baby after midnight unless he/she was premature or there was a medical reason to do so. The only other reason might be if I was engourged and in pain but that doesn't happen very often.