henna- what went wrong

lizzyboozlizzybooz Registered Users Posts: 6
So I just had a pretty horrible henna experience last night and Im still trying to figure out where I went wrong. I have been on the CG routine for a week and my curls were finally starting to look slightly GOOD for a change and were getting a great shine to them. So I thought Id help them along a bit with a henna treatment... anyway to cut a long story short, my hair is now dry, knotty, has a dull orange rather than red tinge (didnt even cover my grey properly!) and feels like the strands could just snap off if I bent them :(

I diluted 2TB of ACV in 1 C water to mix up with the henna (but didnt end up needing all the water mix), added about 3tb honey, then applied to dry hair, wrapped in plastic and left overnight. Any ideas as to where I went wrong? Also I am currently doing an EVOO and honey DT in the hope it'll help with the dryness, but the Kpak reconstruct stuff I ordered has just arrived- should I give it a go, or best to wait a while?

Comments

• qimissungqimissung Registered Users Posts: 211 Curl Neophyte
    I don't know about the color problem, did you let it sit out overnight for color release? I used lemon juice when I hennaed. Some people use chammomile tea instead. Henna will at first make your hair seem dry. Just do your DT and it should get better.
    Fine cherub curls. LUS brand user. That's all I need!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    Don't overdose your hair on too many treatments. Just take it slow, try one and give it a few days before trying anything else. If you freak out and start doing a hundred different things, all kinds of craziness can ensue and you won't have a clue what's causing what.

What color is your hair naturally/to start with before the henna? And sorry, I didn't look before i started to reply, and now it's not on there, but what's your hair type?
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • lizzyboozlizzybooz Registered Users Posts: 6
    thx for the replies guys :) No I didnt leave it out overnight- left it out for about 5 hours, but seeing as we had 40C heat that day and no air con, I though that would be enough to make the colour kick in! :) Perhaps not. Anyway I might have another go once my hair has adjusted to CG... Oh and my curl type is 3C/ some 3B on the canopy, seems to be very porous- still trying to figure out how to do a siggy!
  • smasters467smasters467 Registered Users Posts: 527
    Henna can take anywhere from 3-5 days to oxidize, and turn the color it will be. It's always going to appear orange right when you do it.

I got the horrible tangle after I henna'd the first time, I just had to give my hair about a week to adjust and it was fine again.

HTH.
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
  • AmericanWomanAmericanWoman Registered Users Posts: 46
    You shouldn't use henna on dry hair if you're leaving it on overnight. If the henna dries on your hair, it's going to cause the problems like breakage. Also, henna stops dying once dry, so it's important it doesn't dry out. I always rinse very well, and then use lots of conditioner to make sure all the henna mud is removed. The color should oxidise over the next few days and the gray hairs are going to be a differant (lighter) color that the rest of your hair. I suggest wetting your hair, coating it with conditioner (a DT if possible) then a light oiling after. It should help . getting all the henna out is *very*important. Also not letting it dry on your head, as I already mentioned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    You shouldn't use henna on dry hair if you're leaving it on overnight. If the henna dries on your hair, it's going to cause the problems like breakage. Also, henna stops dying once dry, so it's important it doesn't dry out. I always rinse very well, and then use lots of conditioner to make sure all the henna mud is removed. The color should oxidise over the next few days and the gray hairs are going to be a differant (lighter) color that the rest of your hair. I suggest wetting your hair, coating it with conditioner (a DT if possible) then a light oiling after. It should help . getting all the henna out is *very*important. Also not letting it dry on your head, as I already mentioned.

Interesting!!! I didn't know that.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • lizzyboozlizzybooz Registered Users Posts: 6
    thx for the replies goes. Interestingly, my hair seems to be a bit redder now :)
    btw the henna didnt actually dry on my hair, as the plastic wrap and towel I used over the top stopped it drying out, so it was moist the whole time.
  • AmericanWomanAmericanWoman Registered Users Posts: 46
    lizzybooz wrote: »
    thx for the replies goes. Interestingly, my hair seems to be a bit redder now :)
    btw the henna didnt actually dry on my hair, as the plastic wrap and towel I used over the top stopped it drying out, so it was moist the whole time.

Ok. Then re-wetting your hair and rinsing very well and conditioning should help with the dryness/knottyness. I can almost bet you still have bits of mud in your hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Registered Users Posts: 667 Curl Neophyte
    You might want to try just 2 hours with a heat cap for your next treatment, followed by a good moisturizing conditioner. Stay away from protein for a couple weeks even if your hair likes it ,I think it makes things fade faster. You also might want to try a henna glaze(henna mixed with conditioner) this should give you enough color and shine. I use Yemen henna for the richest color on stubborn white hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Registered Users Posts: 405
    lizzybooz wrote: »
    So I just had a pretty horrible henna experience last night and Im still trying to figure out where I went wrong. I have been on the CG routine for a week and my curls were finally starting to look slightly GOOD for a change and were getting a great shine to them. So I thought Id help them along a bit with a henna treatment... anyway to cut a long story short, my hair is now dry, knotty, has a dull orange rather than red tinge (didnt even cover my grey properly!) and feels like the strands could just snap off if I bent them :(

I diluted 2TB of ACV in 1 C water to mix up with the henna (but didnt end up needing all the water mix), added about 3tb honey, then applied to dry hair, wrapped in plastic and left overnight. Any ideas as to where I went wrong? Also I am currently doing an EVOO and honey DT in the hope it'll help with the dryness, but the Kpak reconstruct stuff I ordered has just arrived- should I give it a go, or best to wait a while?

There are a couple of minor fixes you can do to get a better result. I made the same mistakes as you... until I found this site:

http://www.curlynikki.com/2008/12/henna-pictorial.html

Watch the video. I don't really care for hair types, so you can add and remove whatever you need to from your henna mix, but still follow all the technical instructions, you'll be fine. :glasses7:
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • bunniee23bunniee23 Registered Users Posts: 228
    What did you use to get the henna out of your hair? If I only use conditioner, my hair feels dry and brittle afterward. I have to use a gentle shampoo and then condition well to get all the henna paste out.

As others have mentioned, it can take several days for the color to oxidize and darken. The nice thing about henna is if you want to deepen the red, you can use henna again as soon as you like.
    Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file