Help a color virgin please :)

Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
Hi. This is my first post in the color section! Eep I'm scared! I've never colored my hair before. Never even so much as highlighted it in my nearly 20 yrs on the planet. What started out as a small silly idea has turned into a genuine want. I'd really like to take my hair darker. I work outdoors during the summer, and my hair bleaches. Click on the link in my siggie to go to my blog and see pics of the current/natural color. The pictures are pretty accurate. Because of the sun bleaching, it's a strange sort of light to medium brown to my eyes. Wiser color experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been trying to research at home color over the last week. I know you shouldn't go more than one or two shades darker when doin color at home. I'm fine with that. I still have no idea what storebought brands are decent. I have read more good things than bad about loreal preference and clairol perfect 10

I'd like to take my hair from where it is to the chocolate brown range. I've read you should pick colors based on whether you have warm or cool skin tones but I honestly have no idea which I am. My veins in my wrist look blue to me but I have skin that tans very very easily and very dark eyes (people mistake me for Latina frequently).

Heres what I think I want. A deep, rich chocolate brown from a storebought color that will last me a month or 2 that is user friendly. I think this pic best represents what I'd like to achieve
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.styledash.com/media/2008/07/evalongoriaparkerjoyo80957678.jpg

I suppose I'm asking for general at home colorig advice, brand recommendations, and whther my goal of a chocolate brown is realistic. Thanks lovelies :)

Comments

• PreciousHoneyPreciousHoney Registered Users Posts: 254
    I would say you can get a nice chocolate brown easy. I swear i cant remember now which brand I was using. Ive tried golden brown and the browns with a redish tint. Towards the end I stuck with just a medium brown because the red in the browns would fade and I didnt like it.

I was going to switch to robert craig color before I found henna. Have you looked into that brand? I hear its not as harsh. It cant lighten only go darker if i remember correctly.
    Precious Honey :)
    3c with some 3b at the bottom.
    Im lovin HENNA
    Light protein use

Co-wash: Suave Daily Clarifying Co
    Rinse-out: Back to Basics Pom Peach (old bottle) or GVP Conditioning Balm
    DT: GVP Condidtioning Balm with heat
    Leave in: Elucence MBC
    Gel: HEBE or Aussie Instant Freeze gel.
    Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Balance
    http://public.fotki.com/Precioushoney/
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    Thanks for replying :) I've read a lot about rober Craig and the professional hair colors available at places like sally's but I really don't think that I'm anywhere near ready to mix my own stuff or to think about developer and all that kind of stuff. I'm sure it's really quite simple but since I've never even used color before is rather just keep it simple the first couple times. Plus I'm going to get my mom, who has been using box color for a couple decades, to help me out so that's what she's familiar with.

I'm glad to hear that chocolate would be achievable though. I was worried it'd be too dark. I may take it slow though. I've seen it suggested that newbies try a semi permanent color first to make sure they like the color before trying a Demi or permanent. I'm thinking his would be a good idea and I should try that route first
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    you know, they always say that bit about the "2 levels at home" thing... but really, I think it applies more if you're trying to LIGHTEN more than 2 levels. Going darker or just switching shades is a lot easier, to me anyways.

The only color brand I've ever said "I'm not using this again" is feria, and that's just because the red faded faster than anything else I've ever tried. That, and I thought it reeked lol. Beyond that, everything else I've used (L'oreal, Revlon, etc) have been fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

When shopping around, pay attention to the color swatches on the back/side of the box. They give you a pretty good idea of what to expect based on your natural/base color.

If you're wanting the color you linked to, go for browns with golden undertones, not red undertones. Red is going to give you a deeper glow, and some of them are more maroon than brown if you know what I mean. I loathe those colors on most people, so I steer clear from anything that even remotely resembles a purple color.

I put in your info (or as close to it as I could come) in L'oreal's website and it came up with this:
    http://tiny.cc/Y4yEc

you can do it yourself to see if it changes here:
    http://tiny.cc/nxMzl
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Unless you use a rinse out color, nothing is truly temporary on curly hair. It may fade, but then you may get brassy.

So you have never colored and that warm red tone fades to a medium (neutral-ish) brown. You could definitely use a shade of RC Color to warm and darken it up. There is a free consultation to help you choose a shade, but I would still err to the lighter side anyway. Try the consult and LMK what it says for you, I can help choose a color. Even if you don't use RC, it's a good tool and we can still find a color you like. :)

I think you could actually use RC's #7 Golden Chestnut. The Chocolate brown would get too dark. I use the GC on my hair, see my pics. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    MimsTX wrote: »
    you know, they always say that bit about the "2 levels at home" thing... but really, I think it applies more if you're trying to LIGHTEN more than 2 levels. Going darker or just switching shades is a lot easier, to me anyways.

The only color brand I've ever said "I'm not using this again" is feria, and that's just because the red faded faster than anything else I've ever tried. That, and I thought it reeked lol. Beyond that, everything else I've used (L'oreal, Revlon, etc) have been fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

When shopping around, pay attention to the color swatches on the back/side of the box. They give you a pretty good idea of what to expect based on your natural/base color.

If you're wanting the color you linked to, go for browns with golden undertones, not red undertones. Red is going to give you a deeper glow, and some of them are more maroon than brown if you know what I mean. I loathe those colors on most people, so I steer clear from anything that even remotely resembles a purple color.

I put in your info (or as close to it as I could come) in L'oreal's website and it came up with this:
    http://tiny.cc/Y4yEc

you can do it yourself to see if it changes here:
    http://tiny.cc/nxMzl

Thanks for the info :) I definitely don't want maroon hair! My school's rival college has maroon as one of their colors! It'd be blasphemous! I'll definitely look for golden browns. I like that one that you linked me too. Unfortunately my laptop is broken (dead hardrive) so I can't take the survey myself on my ipod touch (aka what is keeping me semi-connected to the world...so long as the world does not use adobe flash!). As soon as my computer get's fixed I'll take a better look at it.
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Unless you use a rinse out color, nothing is truly temporary on curly hair. It may fade, but then you may get brassy.

So you have never colored and that warm red tone fades to a medium (neutral-ish) brown. You could definitely use a shade of RC Color to warm and darken it up. There is a free consultation to help you choose a shade, but I would still err to the lighter side anyway. Try the consult and LMK what it says for you, I can help choose a color. Even if you don't use RC, it's a good tool and we can still find a color you like. :)

I think you could actually use RC's #7 Golden Chestnut. The Chocolate brown would get too dark. I use the GC on my hair, see my pics. :)

I took the RC consultation. It says I'm neutral skin toned (but that question about the colors was hard because I look good in like one color from each category!). It recommended #2, #3, #4, and #5. Of those, I like the swatch for #3 best, but that's the one that you said would probably go too dark (which I agree with). I do like the color from the pics in your fotki

I didn't know that about semi-permanents not really leaving curly hair. I guess it makes sense since we are more porous and all. I think I'd still like to try it and wait for it to fade though just so I can make sure I like the color before I fully commit to whatever tone I end up choosing.
    Did you read about the RC Color on their site? It can be semi if left on for a short period (5-15 min). The good thing is that it does not lift your natural color (as other brands do, incl NI), so when it does fade, you're not left with brassy hair. :)
    No, I hadn't read that. I dunno, I guess my hesistance is just the thought of getting a color online. I can't look at the box that way! Plus I don't know anything about mixing colors
    You can request a free printed color chart, and you may not have to mix colors! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file