Sunscreen

ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
I need to start wearing sunscreen, even in the summer I don't. I'm pretty bad about it.

But what sunscreen do you recommend? When I do buy it I get Banana Boat or CVS brand.

Also, is about 30 SPF fine? I read that 50 SPF does not protect you that much more.

And, I never know... under or over moisturizer?
3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued

Comments

• cakj99cakj99 Registered Users Posts: 575
    I like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock. It's really non-greasy. I've even used it on my face with good results (little or no breakouts). They make a variety of SPFs, but I usually go with the 30. I've heard it's more important to reapply regularly than worry about finding the highest number.

You could always try moisturizers with sunblock in them for your face, too. Aveeno makes a few, even some tinted. Then you don't have to worry about what goes on before what.
  • ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
    *LC* wrote: »
    I like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock. It's really non-greasy. I've even used it on my face with good results (little or no breakouts). They make a variety of SPFs, but I usually go with the 30. I've heard it's more important to reapply regularly than worry about finding the highest number.

You could always try moisturizers with sunblock in them for your face, too. Aveeno makes a few, even some tinted. Then you don't have to worry about what goes on before what.

I've been looking but it is already hard for me to find a moisturizer for my itchy skin - right now I am using Gold Bond and so far Ponds is the only thing that works on my face.

Shampoo - GTTTT
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose

Any lotions with spf that are also very moisturizing? Suggestions?

Shampoo - GTTTT

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Sunscreen is inherently moisturizing, although I guess you may need something more if you have very dry skin.
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Sunscreen is inherently moisturizing, although I guess you may need something more if you have very dry skin.

In the winter I need a lot of moisture but I could look for a lotion with sunscreen.

Shampoo - GTTTT

• burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    I have normal to dry skin and I'm not acne prone and I use a Cetaphil moisturizer with 15 SPF. It offers UVA and UVB protection. It's rather light, so I usually apply one layer, wait till it gets absorbed, and apply another layer. I'm rarely out in the sun so 15 is ok for me. But if I am out and about in the summer time, I use 30 SPF on my the places that are prone to sunburning like nose, forehead, and shoulders and arm and hand so I don't have that hideous driver's arm!
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    I have normal to dry skin and I'm not acne prone and I use a Cetaphil moisturizer with 15 SPF. It offers UVA and UVB protection. It's rather light, so I usually apply one layer, wait till it gets absorbed, and apply another layer. I'm rarely out in the sun so 15 is ok for me. But if I am out and about in the summer time, I use 30 SPF on my the places that are prone to sunburning like nose, forehead, and shoulders and arm and hand so I don't have that hideous driver's arm!

I know of Cetaphil but I thought it was only for the face - the SPF one that is.

Shampoo - GTTTT

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Residual wrote: »
    I know of Cetaphil but I thought it was only for the face - the SPF one that is.
    There's no reason you can't use it on the rest of your body, too.
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Residual wrote: »
    There's no reason you can't use it on the rest of your body, too.

True. It is pretty expensive for 4oz.

Shampoo - GTTTT

• burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    Didn't know you needed something for your body!

Ok, if you are looking for sunscreen for your face, I would suggest a moisturizer, like Cetaphil, with SPF. Regular face sunscreen takes forever to completely soak up and dry.

For your body, I don't think you need to put sunscreen ever. Again, just in the parts that are exposed most to the sun. So you can use your regular body lotion, and then apply an extra layer of sunscreen to those parts or your body that will be out in the sun (for me, I concentrate on arms and shoulders and chest if I have a tank top on). I bought a sunscreen I saw at the Dollar store and it works fine. Don't forget to store sunscreen in a cool place. If it's too hot, the ingredients will seperate and you are left with a watery mess!
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    Didn't know you needed something for your body!

Ok, if you are looking for sunscreen for your face, I would suggest a moisturizer, like Cetaphil, with SPF. Regular face sunscreen takes forever to completely soak up and dry.

For your body, I don't think you need to put sunscreen ever. Again, just in the parts that are exposed most to the sun. So you can use your regular body lotion, and then apply an extra layer of sunscreen to those parts or your body that will be out in the sun (for me, I concentrate on arms and shoulders and chest if I have a tank top on). I bought a sunscreen I saw at the Dollar store and it works fine. Don't forget to store sunscreen in a cool place. If it's too hot, the ingredients will seperate and you are left with a watery mess!

No worries, I may try the Cetaphil. :) Thank you!

Shampoo - GTTTT

• shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    For you face, Invisible Zinc make an all in one sunscreen/moisturiser/foundation so you don't have to clog your skin with too many products :)
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file