CurlTalk

Best Places to Buy Unrefined Shea Butter - Online or in Chicago area??

HighlyAddictiveHighlyAddictive Posts: 139Registered Users
Hey all. I'm looking for PURE unrefined shea butter. I previously purchased from nasabb but found that something was off.... So they are not an option. Any other suggestions are most welcome! I live in Chicago but have only seen shea in one African store (and it was blended with something). So again, any suggestions for pure unrefined shea online or in the area are really appreciated!

Thanks ladies!

BTW!!
Has anyone purchased from crabapplesoap.com? Any reviews? Also looking for suggestions for mango and avocado butters.

Thanks again ladies!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]There is no art in easy.™

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FHighlyAddictive%2F" class="Popup
PW: curlyclue
Just go with the 'fro :afro:

Comments

• AimWardAimWard Posts: 192Registered Users
    I purchase mine from /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.agbangakarite.com%2F" class="Popup

The quality is superb and they are fair trade. It's only $12 for a 14 oz tub. You can even puchase it in bulk by the pound.They are very good with shipping. Make sure you purcahse it from the bulk store not the Allaffia retail store (the retail version is refined, more exspensive and what they sell at wholefoods).
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.agbangakarite.com%2Fmain.sc%3Bjsessionid%3D3800E71BAAA6461C00AFB8DFD1BD04DE.qscstrfrnt04" class="Popup
    I like my gels light, my oils heavy, my conditioners thick, and my curls long...
  • ShaunyShauny Posts: 3Registered Users
    I see a lot of people on CurlyNikki and YT giving good reviews for the shea butter on /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.butters-n-bars.com%2Findex.html" class="Popup . I haven't ordered any yet but I plan on getting a few items including the shea butter from that site. Their shea butter is white. She explains why it's white (no additives or something).
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Shauny wrote: »
    I see a lot of people on CurlyNikki and YT giving good reviews for the shea butter on /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.butters-n-bars.com%2Findex.html" class="Popup . I haven't ordered any yet but I plan on getting a few items including the shea butter from that site. Their shea butter is white. She explains why it's white (no additives or something).

I placed an order with them last week but I havent received it yet.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • HighlyAddictiveHighlyAddictive Posts: 139Registered Users
    Thanks ladies!

:love7:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FHighlyAddictive%2F" class="Popup
  • Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Posts: 1,467Registered Users
    I like Sheabutterhut.com you can get a good quantity of unrefined SB for what I consider a good price.
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    Gem Beauty Supply on Ashland @ Roosevelt has it. I gave in and bought and I liked it.
    CityGirl81 wrote: »
    Gem Beauty Supply on Ashland @ Roosevelt has it. I gave in and bought and I liked it.

Hi! Lol - 'gave in'....why, it expensive there? Is it already whipped? Thanks again lady.

• CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    CityGirl81 wrote: »

Hi! LOL - 'gave in'....why, it expensive there? Is it already whipped? Thanks again lady.

It wasn't expensive, I was just hesitant because I didn't think it would be good quality, but it was.
  • 4bcurlygirl4bcurlygirl Posts: 123Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »

I placed an order with them over the weekend, and I received an email that due to the snow storm they had that their orders will be delayed, and that because their products are handmade the process for shipping is 5-7 days. I hope its worth the wait :)
    I just got my shea butter yesterday. Even though it took too long to get here and my package was busted, I ama satisfied with my shea butter. I love the scents and the raw unrefined shea is divine. Next time I place an order from here, I will definately avoid the winter
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    I just got my shea butter yesterday. Even though it took too long to get here and my package was busted, I ama satisfied with my shea butter. I love the scents and the raw unrefined shea is divine. Next time I place an order from here, I will definately avoid the winter

I finally got my order today, I didnt even know they were on the way because I didn't get an email telling me that they were shipping. Anyway I got them the package was in good condition, and I dont think I'll be ordering from them again. Because I didn't care for the customer service :colors:
    You ordered from butters-n-bars?
    I want to give them the benefit of the doubt because the weather was bad apparently, but over 3 weeks is too damn long. She gave me a free expedited shipping code for my inconvenience IF I decide to order from BNB again. I really like the shea but I have to think about it. I have a lot right now so when I'm running low and I still like really like it then I'll take advantage of the free shipping. I have tried other unrefined shea butters and I really like the quality of this unrefined one for some reason
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    You ordered from butters-n-bars?
    I want to give them the benefit of the doubt because the weather was bad apparently, but over 3 weeks is too damn long. She gave me a free expedited shipping code for my inconvenience IF I decide to order from BNB again. I really like the shea but I have to think about it. I have a lot right now so when I'm running low and I still like really like it then I'll take advantage of the free shipping. I have tried other unrefined shea butters and I really like the quality of this unrefined one for some reason
    Thats nice she gave you a free shipping code. I send an email about my order and it came two days later by fedx, it was suppose to come by usps. The shea butter is nice and I like the mango butter I ordered too. I wanted to try the conditioner mask, but like I said before Im not sure about ordering from bnb again. Im glad we at least like the shea butter :)
  • LynneryLynnery Posts: 303Registered Users
    I get my shea butter from /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sheaessentials.com%2F" class="Popup the owner has excellent customer service and she has free shipping!

She also sells on ebay you can check out more reviews there.

event.png
    Last relaxer-3/16/08
    Type 4a thick hair
    www.fotki.com/cluelessaka updated March 2010

event.png
    Thanks for sharing this site I checked them out and I may give them a try when Im getting low on my shea butter. Thanks again :)
    Lynnery wrote: »
    I get my shea butter from /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sheaessentials.com%2F" class="Popup the owner has excellent customer service and she has free shipping!

She also sells on ebay you can check out more reviews there.
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users

I've seen a few comments of yours where you haven't had luck with ordering stuff! That sucks. I got my order from Butters-N-Bars in like 3 days. Where are you?
    Wait! I didn't know there was an Avocado butter. I like my mango butter from BNB's so much I haven't used the shea yet. Another place with good raw butters is /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coastalscents.com%2Fcfwebstore%2Findex.cfm" class="Popup I've also heard good things about their 88 color make-up palettes as a GOOD and less expensive alternative to MAC.

Side note: Butters-N-Bars & Coastal Scents are both fair trade.
  • hotchocolatehotchocolate Posts: 59Registered Users
    I buy mine online at the SheaButterhut.com.
    Thanks ladies for all the suggestions!! Has anyone heard of or tried Omololu International at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fomololu.3dcartstores.com%2F" class="Popup ? I'm looking at their black soaps.

TY

I've seen a few comments of yours where you haven't had luck with ordering stuff! That sucks. I got my order from Butters-N-Bars in like 3 days. Where are you?
    I'm in Chicago. I think it took that long the first time because of the snow storms. I got it eventually, after like 3 weeks!lol but its ok. I am really impatient when I order stuff online. I'm irritated right now cus I ordered something from Nunu+Love Handmades AGAIN even after the first shipping disaster but since I really liked the products when they arrived, 2 months later, I decided to give it another go cus she was having a sale. Now her shop is closed and its been 2 weeks since I ordered! Sorry about ranting.lol
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein

I'm in Chicago. I think it took that long the first time because of the snow storms. I got it eventually, after like 3 weeks!lol but its ok. I am really impatient when I order stuff online. I'm irritated right now cus I ordered something from Nunu+Love Handmades AGAIN even after the first shipping disaster but since I really liked the products when they arrived, 2 months later, I decided to give it another go cus she was having a sale. Now her shop is closed and its been 2 weeks since I ordered! Sorry about ranting.lol

Oh yeah, those snow storms messed a couple of my orders up too. I'm waiting for Nunu Love's store to open back up. I want to try the Juju Hair Mist, Spilled Milk, and Coconut Puddin. What did you order from her, and how did you like it?
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Posts: 1,632Banned Users
    eIZWI.gif
    :love10:

Oh yeah, those snow storms messed a couple of my orders up too. I'm waiting for Nunu Love's store to open back up. I want to try the Juju Hair Mist, Spilled Milk, and Coconut Puddin. What did you order from her, and how did you like it?
    I got the juju mist, the spilled milk and the honey flowers shampoo. I really like everything. But this shipping fiasco I seem to keep having when I place an order is a deal breaker for me. She has good customer service though
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein

How did you like the quality of the shea butter? I am a little leery of buying the bright yellow butters. Is it a little sticky/tacky? If so, they're mixing it with something. I really want to find something on the ground, and The African Store is within a reasonable driving distance. Did you try any of their other products?

Thanks!

• lisabrains36lisabrains36 Posts: 1Registered Users
    Mountain Rose Herbs and Vermont Soap are the only sellers of USDA Certified Organic Unrefined Raw Shea Butter at an economical price.

Slice of nature sells a USDA Certified Organic East African Shea Butter which can be pricey but it lasts a really long time, but I only use it on my face. It costs me $50 w/shipping for two 8 oz jars.

If you are looking for a stand alone moisturizer for your skin or are prone to acne, I would go with Slice of Nature East African Shea this stuff is Amazing.

Bulk Cosmetic and Skin Butters
    Vermont Soap Wholesale Bulk Unrefined Organic Shea Butter
    Organic, pure, raw East African nilotica shea butter
  • MsCurl83MsCurl83 Posts: 289Registered Users
    American Shea institute online can point you to some places in your area.
    I've ordered from soulshea.com but her prices have increased. My last order was from coastalscrnts.com as per curlynikki. Got 3lbs for around $33 including shipping and way cheaper than soulshea. Butter is unrefined a yellow double packed and has that smell. I've used to make a Shea mix I use on hair and body. They sell 1,3 and 5lbs. They're in Naples FL. Shipping time was excellent and it was sent Usps priority mail. Hth.
    "My hair is a reflection of my personality:
    wild, free and beautiful."

Hair Type: S + Z = Crazy Beautiful
    Hair Goal: Improve health!! Kill the knots!!!
    BSL now
    As of 6/24/12: Protective styles for summer
    Achieving Curls: Terressentials Mud HAir Wash (the business! Terressentials.com) Giovanni 50/50 Cndtr (retired) KBN Shealoe LCndtr (on probation) Still perfecting the process.
    Shoutout to FLAXSEEDS!!!! YOU ARE the MASTER on FRIZZ!!!

• BlackbanjogirlBlackbanjogirl Banned Posts: 227Banned Users
    I've seen this all over online but never have seen it in stores. So, the cheaper ones you see on amazon are not any good? I've never used it. What exactly is it supposed to do, and do you have to mix it with oil? From what I gather from descriptions, I'm supposed to use it on my skin like a salve? Can I mix it in with deep condish? I've long since heard of this stuff, long before the shea butter craze - just never seen it in any kind of stores - ethnic, natural care, etc.
    "Your plan will have new or expanded coverage for the following services, drugs, and supplies for women, which will be paid 100% (note: by whom, is the question) when you visit a network provider:

-Prescription contraceptives and counseling for women
    -Counseling for sexually transmitted infections
    -Permanent surgical contraception (sterilization)"
    --Quoted from my Anthem insurance letter, October 25, 2012

Obama - for a woman's right to sterilize (esp when it becomes mandatory)!
  • GigiemGigiem Posts: 2Registered Users
    I moved to Chi from the east coast where I was accustomed to finding it easily, even in corner markets, but in Chicago it's been a challenge.

I recently stumbled upon an African vendor in a store on the main floor of the State of Illinois building downtown (Clark/Lake stop on train).
    $5. for a short tub and $10 for a large container. Reasonable.
    They also carry black soap and Jamaican Black castor oil.

Also, every so often I can find some from a vendor at a street festival.
    I've also seen some at Whole Foods but can't justify the price.

Hope this helps.
  • GigiemGigiem Posts: 2Registered Users
    Typo..
    I mean to the subject line to say "RAW" Unrefined Shea Butter