Blackheads on nose?

ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
Is there anything that really works on this? I bought the Biore pore strips yesterday. I have used the St. Ives scrubs but they do not work really.
3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Clearasil cream or any benzoyl peroxide.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    1) Daily application of a salicylic acid cream. Start out with once a day for a week or so, then increase to 2x a day if still not getting results.

2) Add benzoyl peroxide to the mix if still not getting results. There are different formulations available OTC: 2%± and 10%. Start out low and increase as needed.

3) I think my Sonicare helps with this too.
  • ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
    I just bought:
    1 and 2

Salicylic acid is the main ingredient in both.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Shampoo - GTTTT
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Residual wrote: »
    I just bought:
    2: Salicylic acid is the main ingredient in both.
    Face wash does not stay on your skin long enough for the salicylic acid to have an effect. Also, plenty of products have salicylic acid, but aren't effective because the pH is off.

This product is said to be able to impart an effective dose of salicylic acid, as long as you leave it on for at least 30 minutes. It's a light, watery gel formula, so it's very easy to use.
    Yes, you need something that you put on after you wash your face and leave there, either during the day, overnight, or both.
    Thank you for the tip. I will look into that Eilonwy.

Could I use the clean and clear I got overnight, it has the scrubbing beads but I can leave some in perhaps.

Shampoo - GTTTT

Could I use the clean and clear I got overnight, it has the scrubbing beads but I can leave some in perhaps.
    I really doubt that would work out well.
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    I really doubt that would work out well.

I may return it tomorrow and look for the one you posted, are there any other to look for that I can leave on?

But I am keeping the Eraser thing because it feels good lol.

Shampoo - GTTTT

No.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Registered Users Posts: 1,261
    The only thing I've ever found to work is actually the Biore strips - but it's only really effective over time. I find that they only clean out pores of a certain size - normally quite newly clogged. For ones that are already clogged and turning black, they tend not to work so well. I find it works best if I've taken a shower (thereby opening up my pores) but have not yet washed my face - gives the strip something to grab on to.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
    Phoenix wrote: »

No.

Yes, Eilonwy already said she doubts it would work. :neutral:

Shampoo - GTTTT

I may return it tomorrow and look for the one you posted, are there any other to look for that I can leave on?
    Yes, but the good ones are much more expensive. You won't find them at the drug store. You really just need one, anyway.
    OK thank you so much. :)

Shampoo - GTTTT

• midgimidgi Registered Users Posts: 2,409 Curl Neophyte
    As a teenager I had severe blackheads on my nose. I tried the pore strips and all kinds of blackhead-clearing face washes that all worked temporarily. Then I bought a stainless steel pore extractor and that was the only thing that seemed to work long term.

The only thing I have to deal with now is having enlarged pores, but that's way better than having clogged pores, imo.

If you get one, make sure you get a good one that has a case. Clean it regularly with rubbing alcohol and be gentle on your skin. You don't want to bust capillaries or damage your pores.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
    Just as a warning, extractors are easy to abuse if you're upset. Using them is very cathartic for some people, and they wind up overdoing it and damag their skin.
    Oh, I would not use a pore extractor. You have blackheads now and for the next several years. Eventually they will go away. But enlarged pores are forever. So easy to go overboard with those things.

If you use a topical salicylic acid cream that you leave on, it should take care of it. You need to do the homework [try looking on drugstore.com] and buy something quality — not gimmicky — and use it consistently. Hint: "quality" doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

Follow it up with a mildly exfoliating scrub [used very gently] which will help slough away the dead skin cells loosened by the salicylic acid and keep the sebum from building up in the pores, which is what causes those blackheads to begin with.
    I've been thinking about steaming my face to open the pores, either pre-facial scrub or on its own.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

I've been thinking about steaming my face to open the pores, either pre-facial scrub or on its own.
    That doesn't work. Pores do not open and close in response to temperature. The only thing that "opens" pores is chemically or mechanically removing the grime inside of them. Warm (not hot) water can help loosen the grime. Steam will just make you sweat, thus making clogging your pores even more. And steam can give you a broken capillary, too!
    That doesn't work. Pores do not open and close in response to temperature. The only thing that "opens" pores is chemically or mechanically removing the grime inside of them. Warm (not hot) water can help loosen the grime. Steam will just make you sweat, thus making clogging your pores even more. And steam can give you a broken capillary, too!
    I don't believe that.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• kenzie!kenzie! Registered Users Posts: 5,055
    I don't believe that.

Its true. go look it up.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
    I don't believe that.
    What purpose do you think "opening" and "closing" would serve, and what heat-sensitive mechanism do you think would make that happen?

This dermatologist's site has weighed in, and you can easily find other sources.
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Oh, I would not use a pore extractor. You have blackheads now and for the next several years. Eventually they will go away. But enlarged pores are forever. So easy to go overboard with those things.

If you use a topical salicylic acid cream that you leave on, it should take care of it. You need to do the homework [try looking on drugstore.com] and buy something quality — not gimmicky — and use it consistently. Hint: "quality" doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

Follow it up with a mildly exfoliating scrub [used very gently] which will help slough away the dead skin cells loosened by the salicylic acid and keep the sebum from building up in the pores, which is what causes those blackheads to begin with.

Extractors scare me anyways, lol.

I will look at the Neutrogena one posted. What is a good exfoliating scrub, just for daily use in the shower to cleanse and refresh? I try not to use soap on my face. I have St. Ives Apricot Scrub but it scratches up my face.

Shampoo - GTTTT

I use dissolved aspirin, actually. It makes a nice, gentle scrub and it's cheap.

I just buy the tablets, they have a clear, very thin coating which dissolves easily in warm or hot water. I use 6 aspirin on my face, so 1-2 for the nose would work. Leaves my skin as soft as a baby's bottom.

Aspirin masks are wonderful too, dissolve a dozen tablets and mix with 2 tablespoons or so of yogurt. Leave on for 10 minutes.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, cheap, uncoated aspirin like you'd get at a dollar store work great for this - and this is salicylic acid without buying an expensive cream or gel. You can also mix the crushed aspirin with honey and apply as a masque.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    I don't believe that.

Its true. go look it up.
    I did. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/razor-bumps-topic-overview

Not an acne-related article, but that doesn't matter.
    I don't believe that.
    What purpose do you think "opening" and "closing" would serve, and what heat-sensitive mechanism do you think would make that happen?

This dermatologist's site has weighed in, and you can easily find other sources.
    See above.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

I use dissolved aspirin, actually. It makes a nice, gentle scrub and it's cheap.

I just buy the tablets, they have a clear, very thin coating which dissolves easily in warm or hot water. I use 6 aspirin on my face, so 1-2 for the nose would work. Leaves my skin as soft as a baby's bottom.

Aspirin masks are wonderful too, dissolve a dozen tablets and mix with 2 tablespoons or so of yogurt. Leave on for 10 minutes.

So 6 or so Asprin tablets in water (how much?) and it turns creamy and easy to apply?

And for the mask, plain yogurt?

Shampoo - GTTTT

Phoenix, you can open something dimensionally [like opening a door] and you can open up something by clearing a path [like clearing a drain].

When they say "open up pores" I'm pretty sure they mean the second one. The whole physical opening and closing of pores through warm and cold water has been pretty well debunked by now. It started out as marketing nonsense and grabbed hold.

I am thinking that if that whole thing were true, I would have been able to keep my skin clear somehow in using different temps of water in my cleansing technique. However, after several decades of experimentation, I've never found that to be the case.

Residual, yes, just add droplets of water in your palm to the aspirin, let it sit in your palm for a moment and the tablets will dissolve.

Some people crush or grind up the aspirin beforehand, but I found that to be an unnecessary extra step.

You can use any kind of yogurt, but usually with things like this it's best to keep it simple. I use plain yogurt without a lot of extra ingredients, fillers, etc.
    Phoenix, you can open something dimensionally [like opening a door] and you can open up something by clearing a path [like clearing a drain].

When they say "open up pores" I'm pretty sure they mean the second one. The whole physical opening and closing of pores through warm and cold water has been pretty well debunked by now. It started out as marketing nonsense and grabbed hold.

I am thinking that if that whole thing were true, I would have been able to keep my skin clear somehow in using different temps of water in my cleansing technique. However, after several decades of experimentation, I've never found that to be the case.

Residual, yes, just add droplets of water in your palm to the aspirin, let it sit in your palm for a moment and the tablets will dissolve.

Some people crush or grind up the aspirin beforehand, but I found that to be an unnecessary extra step.

You can use any kind of yogurt, but usually with things like this it's best to keep it simple. I use plain yogurt without a lot of extra ingredients, fillers, etc.

This sounds great! I can't wait to try it. It seems much better than buying all these different things that don't seem to work. And it is safe to use daily?

Shampoo - GTTTT

Oh I forgot, are any of those wet cloth pads (stridex, ponds, noxema) really good? I'd like one for night time before bed, I would use the Asprin thing in the mornings.

Shampoo - GTTTT

This sounds great! I can't wait to try it. It seems much better than buying all these different things that don't seem to work. And it is safe to use daily?

I've been using it twice a day for about 5 years now. My skin is not at all sensitive [just acne prone].

If your skin is more sensitive, you might only do once a day, or a few times a week. It really depends.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file