Sunscreen for AA skintone/oily skin

girlspicegirlspice Registered Users Posts: 73
Help!
I know I should wear a sunscreen/sunblock but I've been putting it off because I don't want to look "ashy". I've heard of tinted moisturizers with spf protection but they all look too light for my skin tone. Also, I have very oily skin which is good for aging but I don't think I want to age with acne scars all over my face so it can't be greasy or heavy. Can you recommend a specific brand that you use or know of from friends. Thx
Keep it simple :queen: Simply marvelous & simply wonderful!

Hair Type: 4a
BC: November '09
CoWash: VO5, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
Leave In: JC Revitalizing Leave In, Homemade mix
DT: AOHR, Lustrasilk's shea butter mango and olive oil cholesterol
Daily Moisture: Coconut oil, shea butter
Styling Products: MJ Baby Buttercreme, Eco Styler Gel, JC Nourish & Shine

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    You don't "have" to wear sunscreen every day. In fact, wearing sunscreen usually just gives a false sense of security, because, unless you are re-applying it all-day-long, it's likely lost it's effectiveness after a couple of hours. So, you're actually worse off relying on something you applied hours ago instead of just staying out of the sun. There are studies that show that the people who wear sunscreen the most are the ones who get the most skin cancers. It's becoming apparent, especially in places like Australia and New Zealand, that their government's efforts to reduce skin cancer by promoting the use of sunscreen, are a dismal failure.

I very rarely wear sunscreen...only when I'm at the beach or at an outdoor all day event. Sunscreen breaks me out badly, so I want to minimize my use of it. I keep my skin very protected from the sun though. I seek shade. I wear hats. I wear mineral makeup daily (which provides a small amount of natural sunscreen). Mostly, I just stay out of the sun.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    My favourite face sunscreen is from Clinique. It uses zinc oxide as the block instead of chemicals which I find burn my skin and break it out. Like RCW though, I only use it if I'm in full on sun for an extended period of time.

I'm a firm believer in skin needing sunlight, on naked skin, to be healthy.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a firm believer in skin needing sunlight, on naked skin, to be healthy.

the amount of sunlight required for us to make vitamin D on our own is minimal at best.

according to this study:

Sunlight and vitamin D for bone health and prevention of autoimmune diseases, cancers, and cardiovascular disease. Dr M.F. Holick [URL="javascript:AL_get(this,%20'jour',%20'Am%20J%20Clin%20Nutr.');"]Am J Clin Nutr.[/URL] 2004 Dec;80(6 Suppl):1678S-88S.

"...5-10 min of exposure of the arms and legs or the hands, arms, and face, 2 or 3 times per week..."

is sufficient for our bodies to produce needed vitamin D.

subsequent studies have borne this out.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • girlspicegirlspice Registered Users Posts: 73
    Thank you ladies. Someone recommended Aveeno Ultra calming spf 30 moisturizer. Aveeno sounds like a good natural brand. I don't think I need that much spf but when I walk outside in the morning I guess it couldn't hurt.
    Keep it simple :queen: Simply marvelous & simply wonderful!

Hair Type: 4a
    BC: November '09
    CoWash: VO5, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Leave In: JC Revitalizing Leave In, Homemade mix
    DT: AOHR, Lustrasilk's shea butter mango and olive oil cholesterol
    Daily Moisture: Coconut oil, shea butter
    Styling Products: MJ Baby Buttercreme, Eco Styler Gel, JC Nourish & Shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file