CurlTalk

OT: Help from all of you ingredient savy wavies...

dark_wavesdark_waves Posts: 611Registered Users
I've been planning on getting a jug of the Simple Aloe Jelly from EW. I was reading reviews of the different jellies and someone had commented on the regular Aloe Jelly that they added some EO to make a bug repellent. I thought this was genius! I would feel okay putting this on my toddler. I have a couple of questions though (sorry for the long post...):

1. Do you think the SAJ work the same as the AJ?
Ingredients for SAJ:
Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid

Ingredients for AJ:
Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel), Phenoxyethanol, Carbomer, TEA, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid

2. Could I just add an EO to the jelly and then put it on like a lotion or should I follow a recipe like this one:
To make this organic mosquito repellent, you will need 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil, 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel, and 25 drops of essential oil (list of oils below).

3. Which EO do you think would be best for all around bug repellent - it seems like lavendar would be the best all around choice:

Bug Repellent Essential Oils
Caution: Pregnant women should consult with their doctors before using.
Ticks First Choice: Rose Geranium
Other: Palmerosa, bay, eucalyptus, European pennyroyal
lavender, tickweed (American pennyroyal)

Mosquitoes: Pennyroyal, lemon balm (citronella), thyme, lavender

Blackflies: Sassafras, lavender, eucalyptus, pennyroyal, cedar, lemon balm (citronella), peppermint

Head Lice: Tea tree, rosemary, lavender, eucalyptus, rose geranium Fleas: Orange oil

4. This was the review of the AJ I was talking about:
We use it as a shave gel, after shower moisturizer, hair gel (for frizzie days), sanitizing gel (with eo's added). I add bug repellant eo's and use it during the mosquito season. This gel also make a fantastic burn gel!
(same ? as above - could the SAJ work the same as the AJ for all these purposes?)

Thanks in advance for all your help!
FIA: 2b/cFii
normal porosity

Comments

• goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    yes, I think the simple aloe would work just as well as the regular one. The only REAL difference is the glycerin in the regular one -- which that's moisturizing ingred, but I don't think crucial to the whole "bug repellent part".

I can't remember much about the bug repellent EO's other than I think preggo women shouldn't use pennyroyal, and I can't remember why. that makes me think that its not okay to use pennyroyal on young children. But, I didn't do any research to check on that -- so its not gospel heh.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • rabbit24rabbit24 Posts: 20Registered Users
    In my humble opinion, for putting the gel on your kid's skin I might go for the SAJ rather than the AJ, and that is because the AJ has witch hazel in it. I have extremely sensitive skin and I cannot use anything with witch hazel in it without irritation. In particular, my face has a horrible reaction to it (granted, I do have rosacea, which is a sort of special circumstance). But, though I do not have a child myself, it is my understanding that a child's skin tends to be more sensitive than an adult's, so if you have the choice between using and not using a potential irritant, maybe just skip it?

CG since August 2009 :albino:
    2b wavy, Medium porosity, protein sensitive
    Low Poo with JC Gentle Lather Shampoo
    CO washing with Giovanni Triple Treat Tea Tree
    Rinse-out with AOHR, CJ Curl Assurance
    Leave-in with KBB Hair Nectar
    Styling with Ecostyler Krystal Gel, BRHG

• dark_wavesdark_waves Posts: 611Registered Users
    I was just going through the EW EO Blends list and they have this:

Essential Oil Blend, BUG AWAY
    Ingredients/Technical Specs:

clear1x1.gif
    Citronella, Eucalyptus, Catnip, Cedarwood, Lemongrass, Lavender, Litsea Cubeba, Tea Tree, Patchouli

I guess I just need to make sure none of these are harmful to kids.
    FIA: 2b/cFii
    normal porosity
  • missmagoomissmagoo Posts: 31Registered Users
    As far as EOs go, I would definitely do lemon balm- I grow lemon balm in my garden and crush the leaves to use as a natural insect repellant. That and the rose geranium would be good. But, DH is allergic to lavendar so I tend to avoid that scent in general.
    Fine 2c/3a
    Mod CG
    leave-in: LOOC or whatever conditioner I use, then FOTE
    Stylers: KMFUM, sometimes LOOB