People that curl their hair and claim it's curly

lotoloto Posts: 133Registered Users
I know one chick in particular who has THE most damaged hair+hair extensions I've ever seen. She flat irons every day, but from time to time you'll see her sporting perfect waves (all of the same size and pattern with not a single strand of frizz) which are "her natural hair."
I once had the opportunity to witness how these waves came about, and they're the product of a flat iron used to curl.

Doesn't this kind of thing piss you off?
3A: med/coarse texture; high porosity
<3 Honey rinses

Comments

• CurlyKarlineCurlyKarline Posts: 12Registered Users
    I just roll my eyes at them and pay them no heed. Really, why become upset over the lies that they tell themselves because that's what they are doing. Not lying more so to you but to themselves in order to make themselves feel better.
    2c/3a?
    Somewhat protein sensitive

Co-wash: Suave Natural's Tropical Coconut; Garnier Fructis Triple Nutirtion
    Condition: same as above
    Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition; LOOC
    Styling: BRHG; HETT
    **I need to place a pic**
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lol I remember in junior high, curly hair became popular at my school. If I remember correctly, it was b/c a couple of girls who were "cool" and had just moved there, were wearing their (natural) curly hair. So a lot of the girls started wearing their (usually straightened) hair curly and some even tried to FTC (that's fake the curl lol). This one girl had almost pin straight WL hair and prided herself on it (but trust me: if she cut her, she wouldn't be much to write home about). Then she randomly showed up with some kinda curling iron style curls that didn't look natural in any sense of the word, and SWORE that was her natural hair texture. Honestly, I wasn't even trying to wear my hair curly at that point. But I still thought it was hilarious. Especially since so many of us had *wished* we had straight hair growing up. Way to see the tables turn. Sometimes its a little annoying...I mean, I never pretended my hair was naturally straight! But mostly, its just funny to me :tongue1:
    comic-p.jpg
  • curlybeautycurlybeauty Posts: 81Registered Users
    That's both funny and annoying. If you want to curl your hair, go for it, but don't try to say it's natural. I never claimed my hair was naturally straight the last time I flat-ironed it.

• tinymandolintinymandolin Posts: 157Registered Users
    I thought this thread was about Taylor Swift... ;-)

I know so many people who think Taylor Swift has naturally perfect wavy ringlets, and they don't realize that (even if she DID have wavy/curly hair) she sits for hours getting it curled to have it be so uniform and perfect. There's no way that her hair becomes like that naturally.

Remember Peyton from One Tree Hill? Every episode she had those beautiful ringlets? And then there was one episode in Season One where she is pushed into a pool by Nathan, and her hair fell stick straight... and once she was outside of the pool, no wave whatsoever. I knew a lot of people who thought her hair was natural, too.

So many celebrities/characters who have beautiful curly hair are actually people who have their hair professionally styled for hours each day to put off that image and fool everyone into thinking that's their natural hair, when it's not... which is fine that they style it like that--if that's what they want, go for it--but let's be real here...
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Why not consider it a compliment?
    I thought this thread was about Taylor Swift... ;-)

I know so many people who think Taylor Swift has naturally perfect wavy ringlets, and they don't realize that (even if she DID have wavy/curly hair) she sits for hours getting it curled to have it be so uniform and perfect. There's no way that her hair becomes like that naturally.

Remember Peyton from One Tree Hill? Every episode she had those beautiful ringlets? And then there was one episode in Season One where she is pushed into a pool by Nathan, and her hair fell stick straight... and once she was outside of the pool, no wave whatsoever. I knew a lot of people who thought her hair was natural, too.

So many celebrities/characters who have beautiful curly hair are actually people who have their hair professionally styled for hours each day to put off that image and fool everyone into thinking that's their natural hair, when it's not... which is fine that they style it like that--if that's what they want, go for it--but let's be real here...

Idk much about Taylor Swift, but that's interesting b/c I remember this thread that was about T Swift straightening her hair and people being disappointed. I got the feeling the waves were natural or at least people thought so. I think its pretty common for celebrities to have "beach waves" hair, since that's what's in now. I guess I'm weird, but I usually assume it has been done with an iron unless I learn that's their natural texture. I'm guessing I probably just don't have the eye for it though since its so far away from my own texture.
    comic-p.jpg
    Idk much about Taylor Swift, but that's interesting b/c I remember this thread that was about T Swift straightening her hair and people being disappointed. I got the feeling the waves were natural or at least people thought so. I think its pretty common for celebrities to have "beach waves" hair, since that's what's in now. I guess I'm weird, but I usually assume it has been done with an iron unless I learn that's their natural texture. I'm guessing I probably just don't have the eye for it though since its so far away from my own texture.

I was a hair stylist for a few years before just recently leaving in the past few months to pursue another career, but her hair...no one has curls like Taylor Swift naturally. That absolutely perfect wave? With no frizzies, so smooth and shiny, no curl out of place??... It's called a personal hair stylist... :-)

Personally I think natural waves and curls, like the ones of the women here, are far more desireable and beautiful than Taylor Swift's impeccable, perfect styling. But that's cause I like the imperfect, natural look on people, personally...
  • Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Why not consider it a compliment?

I do consider it a compliment...

Like women who carry knock off / fake Louis Vuitton bags / luggage and try to pass it off authentic.
    It is the ultimate compliment.....:happy10:
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
  • emilylouiseemilylouise Posts: 93Registered Users
    Did anybody see Taylor Swift perform awhile back when she sang Should've Said No and "rain" poured down and soaked her? Afterwards you could see her hair when it dried naturally - it WAS curly, but not as big, shiny, uniform, or bouncy as it usually is. I believe she even admits to using a curling iron on her hair.

As soon as I saw the title to this thread, I thought, yes! I know a girl who usually has stick straight hair (flat-ironed for sure) who occasionally sports PERFECT curls/waves, all uniform and no frizz at all, little ringlets framing her face in the fakest way, and claims it's natural! I complimented it once, asking how she got it to do that? I was looking for an answer that involved what products she used to create such great hold to her obvous curling-iron curls. She replied, without making eye contact, that her hair "just does this." :-? Uh, no. Another time she had done her hair curly, someone said to her "oh my goodness I love your hair! is it natural?" and she replied yes. Her good friend nearby was like "uhh yeah, when you use a curling iron..." She was probably so mad at her friend for busting her out in front of all our friends! But it was so obvious to me. Especially the time we had a pool party and her hair was straight with a bit of body wave/ beachy waves when she got out. *Major eye roll*

I agree we should just take it as a compliment, but isn't the whole point of NATURALLY CURLY embracing what you have naturally - 2a or 3c? It's nice your jealous, but embrace your natural texture enough to at least admit when you've heat-styled.
    BSL 2Cmiii :flower:
    normal/high porosity, normal elasticity.

• earlybirdiecurlsearlybirdiecurls Posts: 87Registered Users

I was a hair stylist for a few years before just recently leaving in the past few months to pursue another career, but her hair...no one has curls like Taylor Swift naturally. That absolutely perfect wave? With no frizzies, so smooth and shiny, no curl out of place??... It's called a personal hair stylist... :-)

Personally I think natural waves and curls, like the ones of the women here, are far more desireable and beautiful than Taylor Swift's impeccable, perfect styling. But that's cause I like the imperfect, natural look on people, personally...

I personally love Taylor's hair too, but I've seen people on this site whose curls are as beautiful or even more beautiful than hers, without all the heat styling. Have you seen the cover of her first album, self-titled "Taylor Swift"? It was when she was sixteen, I think, and her hair looks like it's all-natural. I'm not 100% sure though.
    mod cg since feb. 18th, 2010 :toothy10:
    2b/2c, pretty porous and slightly elastic.
    garnier fructis s&s, hesmu, and biotera curl creme.

I personally love Taylor's hair too, but I've seen people on this site whose curls are as beautiful or even more beautiful than hers, without all the heat styling. Have you seen the cover of her first album, self-titled "Taylor Swift"? It was when she was sixteen, I think, and her hair looks like it's all-natural. I'm not 100% sure though.

Oh yes, there are TONS of women on this site who's hair I think is far prettier than Taylor Swift's, because it's NATURAL! When I say natural and imperfect, I don't mean messy or ratty, I mean that it's... just natural: beautiful waves and ringlets that aren't perfectly uniform, yet they are beautiful without needing to look perfect. I guess I don't know how else to describe it! :-?

This looks more like what her natural would be:
    taylor_swift.jpg
    taylor-swift-picture-in-white.jpg

As opposed to these very obviously curling-ironed hair:
    84020.jpg
    the-beautiful-country-music-singer-songwriter-taylor-swift-on-the-red-carpet-at-the-2008-cmt-music-award.jpg

So while she may have texture to her hair, let's be real here... the reason her hair looks so good in so many photos is because of a stylist who is very good at curling... but when she gets out of the shower and has to style it herself, I would be willing to bet there are tons of women here who would step out with their hair looking better than hers ANY day...
  • FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Posts: 412Registered Users

Oh yes, there are TONS of women on this site who's hair I think is far prettier than Taylor Swift's, because it's NATURAL! When I say natural and imperfect, I don't mean messy or ratty, I mean that it's... just natural: beautiful waves and ringlets that aren't perfectly uniform, yet they are beautiful without needing to look perfect. I guess I don't know how else to describe it! :-?

taylor_swift.jpg

84020.jpg
    the-beautiful-country-music-singer-songwriter-taylor-swift-on-the-red-carpet-at-the-2008-cmt-music-award.jpg

So while she may have texture to her hair, let's be real here... the reason her hair looks so good in so many photos is because of a stylist who is very good at curling... but when she gets out of the shower and has to style it herself, I would be willing to bet there are tons of women here who would step out with their hair looking better than hers ANY day...

I much prefer the more natural, softer looking waves on her. They suit her better. A lot of ppl are afraid of the frizz when it comes to sporting a more natural look. Call me crazy but I like a little frizz here and there lol. After I set my hair with perm rods or in twists, if they look too neat, I will rough them up a bit to look more frizzy and big. It's a feat since I am transitioning from relaxed hair. At least I have big natural roots now :) lol

taylor_swift.jpg

84020.jpg

I much prefer the more natural, softer looking waves on her. They suit her better. A lot of ppl are afraid of the frizz when it comes to sporting a more natural look. Call me crazy but I like a little frizz here and there lol. After I set my hair with perm rods or in twists, if they look too neat, I will rough them up a bit to look more frizzy and big. It's a feat since I am transitioning from relaxed hair. At least I have big natural roots now :) lol

I'm not even gonna lie...based on these pics alone, I like the curling iron look better. The 2nd pic is nothing special and the first looks a hot mess IMO. I like a little frizz too but she had more frizz than waves in the first pic. I've definitely seen women on this site with natural waves that look a hundred times better than hers. But I'm not really familiar with her so maybe she was just got on an off day there.

Generally speaking, I've always been confused by women with natural waves who straighten their hair regularly. I know the grass always looks greener. But I can't even *think* of a time when wavy hair wasn't in. Straight hair is always in of course but I've always felt like wavy hair was too and I tend to prefer a little wave to just straight.
    comic-p.jpg
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    how do you guys feel about women and/or men who perm their hair?
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

I'm not opposed to ppl doing whatever they want to their hair...I do think some posters are annoyed by ppl who curl their and say its natural. I see how that could be annoying. Mostly b/c so many of us have worked so hard to accept our natural hair, so it *can* be annoying when somebody who isn't a curly says their hair is natural. I guess others might say that's petty, but people do it in other areas and nobody bats an eye. People make a big deal if a woman with implants gets a lot of attention for her boobs. Same with women who wear weaves and get a lot of attention for their long hair. There is always somebody who's quick to point out that its "not real."

I would put perming in the same category as texturizing. Do what you want, but I do find it annoying when a texturized person refers to their hair as "natural." I'm not gonna make an issue of it. Its not that serious. But I don't agree with their terminology. Perming/texturizing/curling irons in general doesn't bother me. That's your business, and if you look good- do it!The bothersome part is the use of the word "natural."
    comic-p.jpg
  • FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Posts: 412Registered Users
    how do you guys feel about women and/or men who perm their hair?

I'll be honest with you, I've never seen a curly perm that I thought turned out well Lol! Maybe people don't know how to care for them? Idk. Not bothered by it, but I don't think the look is great from what I have seen.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Reminds me of someone who used to post on another board and she used to make such a big point of saying (herself) how pretty and natural her wavy hair was -- she just "touched it up a bit" with blow-dryer, curling iron, rollers, etc. How is that natural? It looked much different (better, IMO) when she really let it air dry and left it alone. :confused3:
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • jillylittle89jillylittle89 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Yea on a 17 magazine video interview on their web site she said how she used to hate her hair and straighten it. But then later she learned to accept it and started curling her hair daily, she even said it takes a lot of effort for her to do it but she loves her hair now.And prefers to use a curling iron, dont hate on her! She probly hasnt read CG lol
  • KatieRoseKatieRose Posts: 5Registered Users
    I've never known anyone who lied about their hair being naturally curly or straight, but I know how you feel...I had a friend who dyed her hair blonde and claimed it was natural. It really irritated me! :cussing: I know I could take it as a compliment, but I just hate pathological liars. Notice I said I had her as a friend. :D If someone lies about their hair to impress others, they probably lie about other things too.
    2fii low porosity normal elasticity

Cowash: TJs Tea Tree Tingle
    Rinse out: Elucence Moisture Balancing
    Leave in: KCKT
    Styling: FSG, SS CEJ, BRHG
    DT: Lustrasilk Shea Mango, SS DD

event.png
  • GirlWithUkuleleGirlWithUkulele Posts: 150Registered Users
    Well, they do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery...

Okay, there's nothing wrong with trying something different. It's pretty cool that we have the technology to do that. But when people claim it's natural, it's just annoying.

But you know what else? I'm kind of curious as to what would happen to Taylor Swift's hair if she tried CG. Maybe it's curlier than we think. The first picture kind of looks brushed/combed out a bit to me.
    Victoria, Keeper of the Celestial Charts and Protector of the Aquamarine Diadem in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

3a/b; low porosity; dense; medium thickness. Growing out a weird haircut.
    Cleanse: As I Am Curl Cowash; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo
    Condition:Tresemme Naturals
    LI:KCKT; CHS LI
    Stylers: AG Re:Coil; CJCCCCL; KCCC; AG Mousse Gel; HESMU;
    Denman Brush.

Treatments:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion; Aphogee PT
  • jillylittle89jillylittle89 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Aquamarina wrote: »
    Well, they do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery...

Okay, there's nothing wrong with trying something different. It's pretty cool that we have the technology to do that. But when people claim it's natural, it's just annoying.

But you know what else? I'm kind of curious as to what would happen to Taylor Swift's hair if she tried CG. Maybe it's curlier than we think. The first picture kind of looks brushed/combed out a bit to me.

I agree! someone send that girl a book!
  • lovecurls2muchlovecurls2much Posts: 19Registered Users
    ya its kiinda annoying how people do that
    Curly Hair is definatly better than just straight hair. No offence.... but curly hair has something extra too it. :profileright::toothy7:Curly hair has: volume
    its different(in a good way!:profileright:)
    and its awesome
    now i could go on and on about how special curly hair is, but that would take forever!LOL
    Go curlies! "Free your hair and the rest will follow", from the official cg book by lorriane massey.

• emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    my roommate perms her hair, and i will say that it does look rather natural compared to many perms i've seen, but one summer we worked together at a race track, and one of our customers asked if her hair was natural and she said yes. i couldn't help myself and said, "uh..no it isn't". and she replied, "oh well i mean that the color is natural...but the curl isn't". it made me laugh but at the same time i was just like oh please.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    my roommate perms her hair, and i will say that it does look rather natural compared to many perms i've seen, but one summer we worked together at a race track, and one of our customers asked if her hair was natural and she said yes. i couldn't help myself and said, "uh..no it isn't". and she replied, "oh well i mean that the color is natural...but the curl isn't". it made me laugh but at the same time i was just like oh please.

lol that's funny!

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • thersacurlsthersacurls Posts: 24Registered Users
    ppl are just trying to make themselves feel better AND seem more interesting,on the other hand I hate when people ask "Did you curl your hair"? I dont know to take it as a compliment or insult. my hair is 3b :love6:
  • vain???janevain???jane Posts: 197Registered Users

taylor_swift.jpg

84020.jpg

wow! if taylor went CG, i bet she could have those heat styled looking curls naturally, just like the women on this site. ♥
    Last Relaxer: Feb 2009
    BC: Feb 2010

fy05ec.jpg

my fotki, updated 2.01.11 ♥
  • curlygirl29curlygirl29 Posts: 9Registered Users
    lmao I know this girl who has naturally wavy hair (like 2a maybe ) and she claims when she doesn't straighten her hair, it's a curly as my other friends, who is a 4a!!!! I'm like, "Uhh... okay..suuuure."

In a lame sort of way this website makes me excited to wash my hair with new things...

3a/3b w/ a little bit of 4a mixed in. Fine w/ high porosity.

"Shampoo": DevaCurl No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCare One Condition
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In (♥HG!♥)
    Styling: DevaCurl Angell, & Avon Volumizing Mousse (sometimes)
    DT: Searching for the perfect one... any recommendations??
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Higher on the bizarre meter is someone (with perfectly straight hair, so we can all understand why she considered herself an expert on the subject) with whom I worked for 19 years -- during every day of which I wore my hair naturally -- who claimed that I didn't really have naturally curly hair, I just wanted to think I did. (Yeah, I just thought it curly on the days that I came in with dripping wet hair due to a downpour, and had ringlets when it dried.)

That said, there are a lot of people with naturally curly hair whose hair does not look as curly as they know it is, primarily because mainstream haircare products have damaged their hair or built up on it so much that it doesn't live up to its curl potential, or they're brushing it, etc. Heck, I know my dad has 3C to 4A hair, and it just looks like non-descript fuzz these days.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • wintermagnoliawintermagnolia Posts: 20Registered Users
    It's funny, because I think people like us who think and analyze our hair and other people's hair all the time notice the difference more between natural and fake. For me, since I used to straighten my hair, I could almost always tell when someone had straightened theirs or when it was natural. Same thing with curly hair. But since I have started wearing my hair curly, many people have asked if I curled it. I guess I had been straightening it for so long (about a year actually, because before that it was straight,) that everyone assumed that was my natural hair. But it was weird for me that no one knew what I really looked like. So I think that many people just don't look close enough to see the difference.
    Curly for 18 months and not looking back!
    3a/3b
  • curlywhirledcurlywhirled Posts: 17Registered Users
    I constantly have people ask me if my hair is "permed" or if it's natural, and when I tell them it's all natural I make sure to tell them that I do use products to enhance them. That way I have my butt covered!

I agree with being able to tell the difference between straightened and unstraightened, curled vs natural. Most of the time, it's evident to me. Other times, not so much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file