My 3b/c 4a hair is getting a BKT tomorrow

BiancaBianca Registered Users Posts: 2,492 Curl Connoisseur
I've been flat ironing my natural hair for quite a few years now and I can't do it anymore. Aside from the fact that it takes about 2 hours to do, it's gone the minute unexpected rain hits or after 2 seconds in the pool. :angry7: Then I have to do it all over again which is tiresome, time consuming, and damaging to my hair.

It drives me nuts that my only real option for vacation is to have my hair braided. I hate having my hair pulled up or back. Even for just a ponytail. I only like it down and lose and my natural hair just won't do that. It goes "out" no matter what I try.

So I've made an appointment tomorrow for a BKT. I'm nervous of course but really excited at the idea that maybe I can have wash and go hair or maybe even a flat ironing session that takes less than an hour!

I'm doing before and after photos for anyone who's interested. The before photos of my natural, blown dry, and flat ironed hair are in my Fotki.


And yes I probably went overboard with the stickers across my face but it was really fun to do! :D



http://public.fotki.com/Monkeyshine/keratin/



I'll post pics of the stages of the treatment tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.

Comments

  • morningstarmorningstar Registered Users Posts: 144 Curl Connoisseur
    Good Luck tomorrow Bianca! Your hair is absolutely beautiful - you do an incredible job with the flat iron. I'm sure Keratin will help, looking forward to hearing how it went for you :)
    3B dark brown shoulder length
    Co-wash, Living Proof No frizz, Biolage Gel, Giovanni vitapro fusion leave in
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    You'll love it, but you might not see as much relaxation as you might like with the first application. My hair wasn't truly wash-and-go until after my 3rd application--which took place only a month after my 1st--but this may not be the case with you. My hair is definitely wash and go now--I can quite literally air dry my hair and it's almost straight. Remember...I'm a 3c/4a naturally. I actually have to enhance the curl now with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and a diffuser to get much curl at all.

    Please keep us updated--I'm always excited to hear about others' experiences. Which particular brand did you go with?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • BiancaBianca Registered Users Posts: 2,492 Curl Connoisseur
    I got it done on Thursday and I'm going to upload the pictures today.

    It was a bit of a nightmare, not because of the process so much but because there was a lot of confusion and back and forth on pricing at the salon. I've finally got that resolved. I love my hair but I won't be going back to that salon if I decide to do this again.

    So, the entire process took about 4 hours. They clarified and blew out my hair dry with no conditioner which made me anxious because my hair was screaming for some kind of heat protectant. Also, the smoke during the blow drying was pretty intense. And I knew going into it that it would smoke. What annoyed me is that the people in the salon, the ones who work there, were giving my stylist looks and grief about the smell, which made me uncomfortable. We eventually moved downstairs to the day spa. That put me off a bit.

    But after the treatment, blow drying, and the flat ironing, my hair looks and feels AMAZING. It's very soft and I've never seen it move and shine like this before.

    It's stick straight which I don't mind so much because I always wear my hair straight anyway. I'd like to add a bump to it or something but it doesn't hold any sort of body or volume anyway. I've been touching up pieces with my flat iron in the morning and it seems like my hair is shinier and smoother whenever I flat iron it. I'm really looking forward to washing it on Monday.

    I'm taking into account what you said Ghost poster and I won't expect wash and wear hair after the first treatment.

    Oh, and another thing. One thing I kept thinking while the stylist was doing my hair was "Hmmm...I could really do this myself if I wanted to...hmmmm".

    I think the next go round will be DIY.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

    Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

    + TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • TrinigirlTrinigirl Registered Users Posts: 159
    Your hair is lovely even without the BKT. My hair grows up up and away too but I actually like the big hair look. :king:
    Trinigirl
    Last relaxer 8/20/08 :afro:
    Mostly 4a , fine hair type, low porosity
    Using all natural products
    http://trinigirl4real.blogspot.com/
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    Bianca wrote: »
    I got it done on Thursday and I'm going to upload the pictures today.

    It was a bit of a nightmare, not because of the process so much but because there was a lot of confusion and back and forth on pricing at the salon. I've finally got that resolved. I love my hair but I won't be going back to that salon if I decide to do this again.

    So, the entire process took about 4 hours. They clarified and blew out my hair dry with no conditioner which made me anxious because my hair was screaming for some kind of heat protectant. Also, the smoke during the blow drying was pretty intense. And I knew going into it that it would smoke. What annoyed me is that the people in the salon, the ones who work there, were giving my stylist looks and grief about the smell, which made me uncomfortable. We eventually moved downstairs to the day spa. That put me off a bit.

    But after the treatment, blow drying, and the flat ironing, my hair looks and feels AMAZING. It's very soft and I've never seen it move and shine like this before.

    It's stick straight which I don't mind so much because I always wear my hair straight anyway. I'd like to add a bump to it or something but it doesn't hold any sort of body or volume anyway. I've been touching up pieces with my flat iron in the morning and it seems like my hair is shinier and smoother whenever I flat iron it. I'm really looking forward to washing it on Monday.

    I'm taking into account what you said Ghost poster and I won't expect wash and wear hair after the first treatment.

    Oh, and another thing. One thing I kept thinking while the stylist was doing my hair was "Hmmm...I could really do this myself if I wanted to...hmmmm".

    I think the next go round will be DIY.

    It really does feel amazing, doesn't it? I would definitely think about DIY because you can do it as often as you like and get the results you want for a far more reasonable price and in the comfort of your own home. A bottle of keratin is <$200 and it will last you for over a year. I've done 5 applications and 2 "keratin bomb" conditioning treatments (which I don't think I'll waste my time with anymore) and I still have a little more than 1/2 a bottle left. Also, you'll probably want help with the back of your hair.

    Enjoy your hair!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • BiancaBianca Registered Users Posts: 2,492 Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't uploaded pictures yet of my hair natural after the treatment because I haven't washed it yet. I was going to yesterday but I've been sick and didn't want to bother with wet hair and going out for Valentine's Day.

    I did add a picture of my hair on day 3 of the treatment.

    My friends have been asking what the difference is between how my hair is now and was when I did it myself.

    I think it does look similar to when I flat iron it myself but the feel is night and day. I use such heavy products on my hair to condition and protect it when I flat iron that my hair is really weighed down and sometimes greasy if I go to far with the spray.

    Not at all with this. It's day 4 and my hair still moves and feels like it's freshly washed.

    IA bottle of keratin is <$200 and it will last you for over a year. I've done 5 applications and 2 "keratin bomb" conditioning treatments (which I don't think I'll waste my time with anymore) and I still have a little more than 1/2 a bottle left. Also, you'll probably want help with the back of your hair.

    Enjoy your hair!


    It's great that you're on this board GP! I'm only considering doing this myself because you've had such great success with it.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

    Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

    + TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • BiancaBianca Registered Users Posts: 2,492 Curl Connoisseur
    I added pictures of my hair after the treatment to my fotki.

    I love my hair. It's just so easy. I don't have any pictures of my hair straightened after the first wash because I haven't straightened it and I don't plan to.

    Normally it wasn't even an option for me to go about my day without doing my hair after washing it. My hair wouldn't even go into a ponytail or dry normally. But now, it's so unbelievably easy.

    And it looks really cute and fluffy and curly/wavy!
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

    Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

    + TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Bianca wrote: »
    It's great that you're on this board GP! I'm only considering doing this myself because you've had such great success with it.

    Ok, disregard my email. I came looking for a thread and I found it! I'm glad it went fine and you're happy. Your hair looks great.

    If you ever need help with the back, let me know. We'll have one of your "home treatments" coincide with a visit.
  • WinnWinnWinnWinn Registered Users Posts: 7
    Very nice! Do you know what brand of BKT they used?
    It's weird the other stylists gave ya'll the stink face....maybe it was their first time doing it in the salon.
    I can't wait to do mine.
  • BiancaBianca Registered Users Posts: 2,492 Curl Connoisseur
    WinnWinn wrote: »
    Very nice! Do you know what brand of BKT they used?
    It's weird the other stylists gave ya'll the stink face....maybe it was their first time doing it in the salon.
    I can't wait to do mine.


    It was a Coppola. And I'm still :thumbdown: at the place for that. Have a separate section of keratin blowouts since you know that it smells.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

    Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

    + TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • JellysbellyJellysbelly Registered Users Posts: 3
    Bianca- What salon did you go to? I'm in the NYC area and am thinking about getting this done. Sounds like you got amazing results. Did you get the version with formaldehyde or without? The one with kind of scares me.

    Thanks!
  • EliskaEliska Registered Users Posts: 2
    I can't get on your fotki to see the pics, could you post them here by any chance? I'm getting mine done in 2 weeks so I wanna know what to be ready for :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file