Robert Craig doesn't color grey for me

southerncurlsoutherncurl Registered Users Posts: 20
I have used Robert Craig hair color 6 times over the past year and 1/2 and it does not color my grey hair. I have even left the product on twice as long as suggested and at best it slightly made some of the grey hair a tiny bit red. Tried all the tips given on their site for problems with colorig grey and nothing works. This just isn't the product for me. I have dark brown hair and have even used their darkest color with no success. I was considering trying another home coloring product but maybe I should just stop waisting money and go to a professional. Is there some thing I should/shouldn't do to my hair as far as product use before I having it dyed?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
  • CurliniCurlini Registered Users Posts: 258 Curl Neophyte
    Tried all the tips given on their site for problems with coloring grey and nothing works.

Sorry it hasn't worked for you and you're ready to give up. Curlilocks has a lot of tips including some they may not mention on RC's website if you want to give it once more chance...

Here are some of Curlilocks' tips:
    1. Use 2.5 oz of water instead of 3 oz in the mix.

2. Use heat. Cover your hair with a plastic cap or plastic wrap, then cover with a heat cap or hot dampened towel (from the dryer). Leave this on for all but the last 10 min of your timing. Then remove heat and cap and let the hair cool a bit before rinsing out. Closes the cuticle down a bit.

3. Mix 1/2 the solution, cover roots, let set 15 min. Mix 2nd 1/2 of solution, cover roots again with this fresh batch. This gives it a double coat of fresh solution at full power (strength tapers off as timing goes on, up to an hour).

Try one of these at a time, not all 3 or you might make it go too dark for you. You could do #1 and 2 together, but watch your head for color. Maybe wipe a strand off to check and reapply if needed.

I also wash with a sulfate shampoo before I color to make sure there aren't any oils that might resist the dye (making sure my hair is dry before I start coloring). I very rarely use shampoo. After I color I just use Del2C's Spritz & Condish - helps maintain the color. I was really frustrated & disappointed with RC's gray coverage before I tried the various tips Curlilocks shared.

I've never tried Gray Magic with RC - I don't know if that would help - maybe you could write Karin at RC to check it out.

All of this may be a little too late - sounds like you've had it!

Good luck whichever direction you go in!:icon_smile:
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • southerncurlsoutherncurl Registered Users Posts: 20
    Thanks for the tips! I have tried #1 and didn't get the grey to color but the rest of my hair was a bit too dark. I may have 1 color kit left. If so, I'll give it another try following one of the tips given here. If not, I don't think I am going to order the product again. I've spent enought money with several orders for the product with shipping cost that equal to what I would have spent at a salon. Grey is just so difficult to color without getting the rest of your hair too dark. Thank you again for the help:icon_smile:
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you for passing on the tips, Curlini! I didn't have to dig them up again. ;)

RC covers my gray, but it is never as dark as the rest of the hair. My grays turn into highlights, a bit more red than the rest. :) I think it looks more natural anyway, multitones vs flat.

Sorry it's not working for you. Do you only co-wash? It may help to use a sulfate shampoo on your roots before coloring, as Curlini and I do.

I think I'll ask Karin about that Gray Magic since some are interested. I'd like to know if it works too. But it may be harsh. :?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    I emailed Karin and here is her response:
    there is a very careful balance of ingredients in the color and additives
    should not be used - the can decrease the water in 1/2 oz increments if they
    want better coverage and making sure
    1. the hair is clean with no conditioner or products on it
    2. the hair remains very moist during the whole application process

So I would not add Gray Magic to RC Color, but you can try the tips above or the ones Curlini posted above.

I do find that if my hair dries during processing, it stops working.

--> Something I forgot before is that RC said I could apply the color to damp (not wet) hair so my hair stays damp during the process, plus it's already a little wet so maybe it would absorb better.
  • CurliniCurlini Registered Users Posts: 258 Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    --> Something I forgot before is that RC said I could apply the color to damp (not wet) hair so my hair stays damp during the process, plus it's already a little wet so maybe it would absorb better.

That's interesting - I assumed you had to start with dry hair...hmmm, another trick to try! :icon_smile:

Thanks Curlilocks!
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Curlini wrote: »
    CurliLocks wrote: »

That's interesting - I assumed you had to start with dry hair...hmmm, another trick to try! :icon_smile:

Thanks Curlilocks!

I think it depends on the porosity of your hair, and the resistance of the gray. My hair is fairly normal to non-porous, and I have ultra-resistant gray. :evil: Worth a try! Remember though, just damp not wet. I usually wash my hair earlier in the day, at least a few hours before coloring so it's damp. Or I spritz the roots to dampen them.
    bumping up for curlykayaker. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file