PHYTORELAXER: Is NOT a chemical-free or "natural" relaxer

Truth HurtsTruth Hurts Registered Users Posts: 9
The makers of this product are full of [email protected]!t. I'm now sorry that I ordered a few of their products (too late, they’ve already been shipped). Why? I stumbled across a product of theirs called "Phytorelaxer", this is SUPPOSED to be a natural chemical free relaxer made from soy & egg protein...

Well, me knowing that hair CANNOT be permanently straightened without chemically altering the natural curl pattern (breaking the "disulphide bonds") I was curious to know the ingredients of this "miracle hair relaxer". I went to their website ( http://www.phytospecific.com/phyto_usa.html) to get more info & to find the list of ingredients and WOW. They truly avoid revealing the exact ingredients of this relaxer. That and the fact that there is a LONG list of odd restrictions to follow before & while using this so-called NATURAL/CHEMICAL FREE relaxer made me suspicious.

phytorelaxer.png

So I did some digging. I found a website with the ingredients of phytorelaxer listed and BINGO! This so-called natural/chem free relaxer has GUANIDINE CARBONATE in it. What is guanidine carbonate you ask?

Guanidine Carbonate is a strong alkaline, organic salt utilized primarily as an ingredient in hair straightening and depilatory systems (hair removal – i.e. nair). When combined with calcium hydroxide in (no-lye) hair relaxers it reacts to form a less irritating system than sodium hydroxide-based (lye) systems. It also is used as a buffering agent and a pH adjuster.

Yup, EXACTLY the same as a common box of “no lye” relaxer for $7.99, only this relaxer costs $40. If the claims were true it would be well worth the price, but to put the same HARSH chemicals in your hair (unknowingly) for $40 is plain wrong.

Understand, the way things are worded makes a big difference. Companies like this Phyto say things like “ Less harsh than….’ , “Less irritating”, “No Lye”, etc, etc…. Guanidine Carbonate, calcium hydroxide & ammonium hydroxide (to name a few) are ALL HARSH chemicals. Yes they are less harsh than sodium hydroxide (lye) but they are ALL very caustic chemicals. The difference between these chemicals are that they each attack a specific protein component in hair that ultimately breaks the disulphide bonds. Sodium Hydroxide (lye) attacks & breaks down EVERYTHING (until neutralized, it will continue to break down hair until it has literally melted clean off your head). Hence it being classified & the most harsh amongst these alkaline chemicals. So for these companies to claim “chemical free” or “natural” is misleading & dishonest.

I hope this info helps those of you that may have been considering using Phytorelaxer. It’s only fair that you have the FACTS to make an informed decision.

Comments

• NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    Where does it say it's "chemical-free" or "natural"? It's up to the consumer to do research and know that even if a product is "no lye" or "no hydroxide" there's something in it that straightens the hair permanently, and they need to find out what it is.

**Update**
    I went to the site, and saw the "non-chemical" description. Well, like I said, consumers need to research everything, and not get caught up in hype.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    From that ad, they seem entirely transparent about their product being a chemical relaxer. There is a product called Phytodefrisant. It's an herbal-based balm that is said to help straighten the hair and it is free of chemicals.

ETA - I too went to the website and saw the "non-chemical" claim. It's weird. All their language says to me this is a chemical process, but then they claim it's not. And they don't list ingredients. Bottom line, before purchasing I would look hard at the boxes ingredients.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Truth HurtsTruth Hurts Registered Users Posts: 9
    Nea wrote: »
    Where does it say it's "chemical-free" or "natural"? It's up to the consumer to do research and know that even if a product is "no lye" or "no hydroxide" there's something in it that straightens the hair permanently, and they need to find out what it is.

**Update**
    I went to the site, and saw the "non-chemical" description. Well, like I said, consumers need to research everything, and not get caught up in hype.
    Where does it say it's "chemical-free" or "natural"?

phyto-01.png

It's up to the consumer to do research?

:director:DUH! That's the whole point of my post, which I'm wondering what's the point of yours. ?:roll:?

People reading my post IS a part of the research process. I am giving info (that may have not been known) that will help people to make an informed decision before using this product or products like this.....*smh*
  • Truth HurtsTruth Hurts Registered Users Posts: 9
    From that ad, they seem entirely transparent about their product being a chemical relaxer. There is a product called Phytodefrisant. It's an herbal-based balm that is said to help straighten the hair and it is free of chemicals.

ETA - I too went to the website and saw the "non-chemical" claim. It's weird. All their language says to me this is a chemical process, but then they claim it's not. And they don't list ingredients. Bottom line, before purchasing I would look hard at the boxes ingredients.

EXACTLY! I mean the FAQ page is bananas, and I'm still trippin off "DO NOT use curling irons 8 days before the treatment or immediately after" one of many odd rules to using this product *QQ!?* This actually sounds WORSE than a regular relaxer to me.

What "natural" "chemical free" product can't be put on hair that has been previously chemically treated AND the fact that you can't put it on your scalp if you've been scratching (or at all) lets me know that it will BURN just like a relaxer if you does.
  • vkb247vkb247 Registered Users Posts: 266 Curl Neophyte
    Please beware of any product that throws out the phrases "non-chemical" or "no chemicals." Especially if it tries to portray itself as a scientifically sound company/product.

I know that many of us know what we mean when we talk about chemicals. But by the real definition of the word it is impossible to make a product that is "chemical free." Hair product, beauty,cleaning,bug repellant or otherwise it still applies.

There is no such thing as a chemical free product and if a company makes that claim you can be assured you are dealing with marketing hype and/or a company that doubts your intelligence and is trying to profit from misinformation.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/17/the-chemical-free-cosmetic-myth/
    Ayurveda Addict:love5:
    I Henna, Cowashing, Poo bars, KCCC, Eco Styler, Oils & Oil Rinsing and Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier:blob3:
    Always Playing with Herbs or Making Products
    :occasion7:Texlaxed <-- Click 4 Pics
  • aishamodelaishamodel Registered Users Posts: 136
    Oh yea! They got me with this ish too! I heard that Oprah and Michelle Obama were big fans of Phyto's "Natural Chemical Free" relaxer. So I looked it up, and YUP! Just a box of plain ole' relaxer.

So I'll stick to the Baka Beauty Natural-laxer (which is ALL clay). The real No-Chemical relaxer.

They are so full of ish!
    PS...I thought Oprah was a natural? I mean the chemical free natural. After photos of her hair surfaced she was all "that's my natural hair". when did natural start meaning relaxed? Maybe it's just me.
    4a-4b hair. Not sure yet so I'll just say both!
  • vkb247vkb247 Registered Users Posts: 266 Curl Neophyte
    Oprah was natural when those first pics came out with her and that huge blow out. But she relaxed after that.
    Ayurveda Addict:love5:
    I Henna, Cowashing, Poo bars, KCCC, Eco Styler, Oils & Oil Rinsing and Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier:blob3:
    Always Playing with Herbs or Making Products
    :occasion7:Texlaxed <-- Click 4 Pics
  • taltaltaltal Registered Users Posts: 614
    Does the phyto defrissant also relax the hair ?
    It's supposed to be just a heat styler from what I've read, but it's called relaxing balm, so I 'm not sure whether it's just a heat protectant/styler or whether it does some permanent straightening to the hair.
  • MsSagNationMsSagNation Registered Users Posts: 1
    A phytorelaxer is made of the same stuff as that "non-relaxer" relaxer from the 90's informercials named Reo. It was salt/sodium based. Dude even ate some of it. BUT they took it off the market because people were going bald.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I have used this product before, the index 1 version. It's definitely a relaxer. I liked it and think it's worth the price. Not sure about the index 2, but it's the only relaxer I used that didn't dry out my hair or make my new growth kinky. I would definitely use that before shelling out $300+ for a Brazilian blowout or thermal relaxer. That's crappy, though, that the copy is being untruthful about being a chemical process.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • tleewisetleewise Registered Users Posts: 2
    Everything is technically a "chemical."
    Natural ingredients can be harsh, harmful, and even toxic.
    Ammonia is natural. Water is a chemical.
    Know ingredients and their pH levels to determine possibility of damage.
    Investigate toxicity of ingredients. EWG's Skindeep website is a good source. Also, many of the other ingredients in more expensive treatments are to balance potential damaging effects of the harsher necessary ingredients and may be the reason for higher price. Ex: heliochrism oil is $200 per ounce.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file