&& My Journey Begins Now

CallMeTwiggyCallMeTwiggy Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi i'm new here! =] I just decided to go natural and im super excited! I've decided I'm going to transition because I'm only 16 and i can't see myself with such a mature look like the big chop yet. I've been getting perms since i was 12 and my hair just isn't the same. My hair used to have so much more body and i want that back...

So my question is how do i go about this...

is it okay to still get rollersets or blows and to flat iron when i go to the hair salon??

also i've heard about transitioning to braids and i really like that idea because its something i haven't tried in a while and its not too common in the area i live in, nor my age group, anymore. (i'm a big fan of standing out =])
that being said my next question is are there specific braiding styles i should stay away from? I really like gypsy twists are those okay?

Comments

• pinkleo7pinkleo7 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Ive been transition since the end of november, so although I'm new at this I can tell you what has worked so far for me. I am also transitioning, I will be doing this for 18 months, but one of the biggest thing I have seen from all the blogs and forums I have been on is to try and stay away from heat as much as you can. When I was relaxed I went to the hair dresser not so often, but when I did go i got blow outs and roller sets. Everything that I have been reading say that too much heat on your new growth will cause it to be damaged. I'm taking the no heat approach and only doing protective stylings (bantu knots, spiral sets), especially since its winter time. I am not transitioning with braids, so I can't really talk on that point, but I would see how the low heat or no heat works out.
  • ShellyBeeShellyBee Registered Users Posts: 67
    Hi i'm new here! =] I just decided to go natural and im super excited! I've decided I'm going to transition because I'm only 16 and i can't see myself with such a mature look like the big chop yet. I've been getting perms since i was 12 and my hair just isn't the same. My hair used to have so much more body and i want that back...

So my question is how do i go about this...

is it okay to still get rollersets or blows and to flat iron when i go to the hair salon??

also i've heard about transitioning to braids and i really like that idea because its something i haven't tried in a while and its not too common in the area i live in, nor my age group, anymore. (i'm a big fan of standing out =])
    that being said my next question is are there specific braiding styles i should stay away from? I really like gypsy twists are those okay?

Transitioning with braids is how most transition as long as you know when to take them out and take care of your hair under. I've been doing it, and I've been transitioning for about 13 months now. With the heat, I would stay away from that as much as possible. Some do heat occasionally [every 4-6 months] for a length check, but I wouldn't do it every time I go to the salon. You should do protective styles though [braids, twists, bantu-knots, twist outs, etc.], and the braids if you're still interested. HTH.
    **colored, shoulder length unstretched**
    last relaxer: January 26, 2009
    natural since: March 26, 2010
    transitioned for: 14 months
    4a/3c/3b; 16 & loving the natural me
    I Tweet:http://www.twitter.com/MissChelleBee
  • CallMeTwiggyCallMeTwiggy Registered Users Posts: 3
    thanks for the advice!
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Registered Users Posts: 448
    i'm transitioning with braids. it's probably one of the simplest and low-maintenance ways to transition. if you're gonna transition with braids, just make sure they don't braid too tightly, especially in the front. this will put a lot of tension on the roots of your hair and pull them out. also, try not to pull the braids into tight ponys until your new growth has had a chance to grow a bit. as for the straightening, i would stay away from heat. it will be extremely damaging to ur fragile new growth. hope that helped :)
  • FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Registered Users Posts: 412
    I like twist outs and perm rod sets for my transitioning (I just like big, curly hair) but braids are a viable option. Also, getting sew-ins are not a bad idea either. Just make sure whoever does your braiding does not braid too tightly!!! Whatever style you choose for the transition just make sure it is fun for you :) As the other ladies before me have already stated, stay away from that heat as much as possible! You don't really need it anyway to get cute hairstyles! And make sure your hair stays hydrated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file