I'm losing my hair and my mind!

Jtodd5989Jtodd5989 Posts: 2Registered Users
I have recently joined and I'm thrilled there are actually people who understand what I go through on a day to day basis.

I'm 20 years old, and for the last probably at least 5 years my hair has been falling out like crazy!! I have been a swimmer for most of my life, so I used to think it was just the chlorine attacking it...I think I was wrong. (For the last 2 years, I haven't been swimming and the problem remains)

I've tried using different shampoos, and haven't been successful.

I used to brush my hair in the shower, but my stylists told me I should switch to a pick, the situation didn't get any better. I've started to notice in pictures that over the years, my hair has drastically thinned. I am almost forced to clean out the shower drain every week!!

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what is wrong with my head?

Comments

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    Hi there. I just wanted to tell you I responded to your thread over on the general discussion about curly hair board.

I hope you find some answers, and some support. If you need anything, I've been there, so feel free to PM me.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • swansinaprilswansinapril Posts: 117Registered Users
    Do you chew ice?

Hair loss (and ice chewing) is a symptom of anemia. A simple blood test will tell you if this is the case with you or not.

Best of luck
    Very coarse, thick, porous 3B. My biggest challenge is SOFTNESS and SHINE.

Current shampoo: Biosilk w/ added vitamin E
    Current conditioner: Lush Okra :love5:
    Leave-ins: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, KCCC
    CG didn't work for me. Oils don't work for me. Trying hard to learn how to love my hair. Read my blog.
  • CafeAuLaitCafeAuLait Posts: 218Registered Users
    You need to get some bloodwork done if you haven't already. Most women experience some hair thinning, usually starting in their 20's or 30's, but this sounds like more than that. Hair loss can be a symptom of many things - you need to get blood tests done to rule out serious illness.
    Formerly ElsaG
  • CsaracCsarac Posts: 861Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Agreed! This could be a hormone imbalance issue or on a larger scale, your thyroid or petiuitary (not sure of spelling) gland. Get it all checked out so you don't drive yourself insane. It could also be stress related. So make a doctor's appointment and then try to relax - I know it's hard but some quiet time and taking some deep breaths can do wonders for clearing your head and centering you.
    HG: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (always and forever)
    Cantu Naturals s & c (shampoo 1x a week), use conditioner as a co-wash every day and LI under my gel.

Air dry then diffuse canapy layers only for volume
    Coconut oil before/after coloring grays and on ends.

2b/c mix waves/curls - coarse, frizz prone, med. thick, porous, at-home color, protein sensitive but I still need it sometimes, glycerin-sensitive (I think) in high humidity. After 16 years on NC.com I FINALLY figured it out..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file