BRAIDS

sheshe2795sheshe2795 Registered Users Posts: 5
I'm transitioning and i plan on wearing medium size braids with synthetic braiding hair (Beverly Johnson)for a year.every month i would take the braids out, wash my hair and get my hair put back in braids again. Is that a bad or a good thing to do?
You're gonna find yourself somewhere, somehow... :glasses8:

Comments

• EkaetteEkaette Registered Users Posts: 356
    sheshe2795 wrote: »
    I'm transitioning and i plan on wearing medium size braids with synthetic braiding hair (Beverly Johnson)for a year.every month i would take the braids out, wash my hair and get my hair put back in braids again. Is that a bad or a good thing to do?

A lot of people transition using braids. That's definitely a good method of low manipulation. Just be careful and don't let them braid too tight and be careful while detangling
    event.png

4b natural
  • mixedbabymixedbaby Registered Users Posts: 94
    Ive transistioned for about a year with braids with synthetic hair and so far ive been good. It keeps your hair real healthy and itll help your hair grow. Just make sure they don't braid too tight or leave them in to long because if so it will start to pull your hair out around the edges
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Registered Users Posts: 448
    i'm also transitioning with braids. i'm just doing it for a while though to protect my hair from the harsh cold dry winter. but yes transitioning with braids sounds good. like the others have said, make sure they don't braid too tightly, especially in the front. and don't pull back the braids into tight ponytails until your hair has had a chance to grow out a little. hope tht helped :)
  • bkbutterfliez1bkbutterfliez1 Registered Users Posts: 1
    I've been transitioning using braids for almost nine months. I keep my hair braided for about 4 to 5 weeks. I keep my hair and scalp oiled with coconut oil, shea butter, and castor oil. I also get my hair trimmed until I decide to do the BC.
  • FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Registered Users Posts: 412
    sheshe2795 wrote: »

As long as you are keeping your natural hair clean and moisturized, you should be fine :) I can't do the synthetic hair because it gives me unbelievable dandruff :( I really wish I could though because human braiding hair is priced ridiculously. I tend to do sew-ins.

Lots of luck! :)
  • jontelle88jontelle88 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hey transitioning with braids is of course a great idea, but just in case you didn't know, you could just wash and deep condition your hair while the braids are still in. I do this all the time and it hasn't slowed down my progress with attaining length or anything of that matter. I just treat my braid just like it is my real hair. Also remember to always keep the braids moisturized. I do this by spraying them every night with a water and coconut oil mixture. Also like everyone else has mentioned, make sure your braids are not put in to tight, and good luck with your transition.
  • StephEliseStephElise Registered Users Posts: 21
    Also while transitioning with braids, you may want to consider giving your hair at least a week or two break from the braids. Not doing so can cause your natural hair to weaken and break. Good luck!
    4A/3C Au Naturale BC-April 22, 2010
    http://public.fotki.com/stephelise/
  • dimples12553dimples12553 Registered Users Posts: 69
    I transitioned using the braids method. It was the best possible option for me as I am not really someone that was into styling my hair daily.

The only downfall was when I finally stopped putting in the braids, I had to now contend with really getting to know the new texture of my hair and what REALLY works best. I became LAZY when it came to what to do with my hair.

After some time, however I was able to find ways to style my hair, but I still long for the days when all I had to do was wake up take off the fishnet cap and satin bonnet and go. 10mins was all it took. But it was well worth it an d I would not change it for the world.
    Dimples12553:afro:
    • Type: 4B, feels more like a 4C
    • Last Relaxer: 6/2001
    • Moisturizer: Raw unrefined shea butter, virgin coconut oil cream
    • Daily Spritz: recipe of Aloe Vera Gel, water & glycerine with some peppermint essential oil for a little tingle
    • Remember HAPPY hair is HEALTHY Hair. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file