New baby must haves?

SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
It's been awhile since I've done this and since there are so many curly-mom's to be out there right now, I thought I'd ask what the essential baby items are that we need to get through.

With DD (11 years ago) I was still pretty minimalist, but this is what I remember needing:

Baby monitor
Breast pump (esp for working nursing moms)
Lots of onesies and sleepers, but not so much on the dressy dressy outfits (unless it's for a picture)
Soft light blankets and burp towels, to put under the baby on almost every surface.
A variety of bottles/pacifiers to figure out which ones the baby likes. DD liked the Playtex nurser with the disposible bags (great for storing milk in as well) and she only took one kind of pacifier.
A good stroller, carseat and playyard, preferably the "convertible" or multi-use ones that can change as the baby grows.

Things I didn't need or did without:

Diaper Genie ( tightly wrapping the diaper and taking the trash out to the garage everyday helped)
Wipe wamer- a wipe wadded up in my hand works just as good
Changing table- using a dresser top with a changing pad worksed well for little babies, floors and regular beds (with a towel underneath) are fine for older babies.
Elaborate themed/decorated nursery. I'm this way with all of our bedrooms now, because I get tired of the same old stuff. Crib bedding is less expensive and easily changed in a year or two, and I updated the artwork and other little things without having to re-wallpaper or paint the room, change the curtains... when we were ready for a change.

If you think of anything else- please ad!
Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.

Comments

• goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    i think a baby bath is helpful.. easy to put in the sink or tub.. not essential but nice..

ducking out now since i'm only mom to a canine
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    massages for mommy?

I'm with ya on the minimalist thing. I was just hoping to strap her on my back until she gets too big.
    I'm so not ready for this

• goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    DIAPERS!!!!!!!!
    ________
    IOLITE TEMPERATURE
  • Dee CurlzDee Curlz Registered Users Posts: 123
    I loved my exersaucer, swing and jolly jumper... all with the end result of some hands free time for mum!
  • KaiaKaia Home of the FL GatorsRegistered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Are you breastfeeding? They have these really cool pillows (shaped kind of like a croissant) that you put in your lap and put the baby on it. My mom loved hers when she had my baby sister. You can also use them to prop the baby up in it before it can sit up unassisted.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    The Boppy was the single best gift I was given. It helped when I was trying to breastfeed. My husband's grandma used it to help her hold X when he was teeny tiny. I propped X up on it when so he could see before he was big enough to sit on his own. I put it around him when he was trying to sit but would topple. He uses it now to lay on while drinking his bottle. It also appears to be helpful to drag places and use as a stool to climb on top of things.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, Boppy's are great!
    Bumbo seats are pretty awesome too...
    I know that's for later tho...

• SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    massages for mommy?

I'm with ya on the minimalist thing. I was just hoping to strap her on my back until she gets too big.
    I'm so not ready for this

"Her"? you don't know yet, do you? or is that wishful :wink: thinking??
    He/She tomatoes tomahtoes. Often it's a nubbin.

Statistically speaking, it's most likely going to be a she.

How about massage oils appropriate for baby? I've been reading how important it is to massage the newborn.
  • the new bouncethe new bounce Registered Users Posts: 38
    All my friends are loving the papisun (sp?) swing
    Bassinet
    Bobby pillow
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I also did things pretty minimally and then bought stuff later as needed.

The Boppy was a great help for breastfeeding, then for sitting Ben up.

I also loved my baby carrier. I was not so fond of the Baby Bjorn but I did love my ring sling.

The little bathtub was useful. Easier than using the sink or big tub, especially with a floppy newborn. Once they can sit up it's not so much of an issue but for the first few months very helpful.

We did not get a stroller right away. Got a Snap N Go that we used with the infant car seat for something like 6 months. By then I had a better idea of what I wanted in a stroller.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    webbie - we used plain old olive oil on my daughter :lol:

geeky - what is a ring sling??? I had one of those front or back carrier thingies, but it was awkward to get her in and out of it and am looking for different options this go around.
    ________
    The Peak Towers Pattaya
    valerie_SM64_hip_sm.jpg
    This is a ring sling.

Basically a long piece of fabric that is sewn to 2 big rings on one end. You wrap it around you, thread the other end of fabric through the rings, put the baby in and tighten the fabric to hold the child securely. It's a bit of a learning curve to get used to it at firs but incredibly versatile and you can use it from newborn to toddler.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    Other carrier types:

The pouch, which is slightly shaped tube of fabric that may be adjustable through snaps or hooks, or sewn to size
    07852832.jpg

the mei tai, a fabric rectangle with long straps at each corner, that you tie around yourself
    gallerypic1.gif

the wrap, which is just a long long piece of fabric that you can wrap and tie around yourself and the baby in many different ways
    BC-WW-D-JLE_AubergineWaves_l.jpg

I am a sling whore, so don't even get me started.

• deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    DIAPERS!!!!!!!!

if you are going to use disposable I highly recommend Pampers Swaddlers pdt_dia_swa_sub_pht.gif

as far as carriers go.... I got this for my shower thinking Liam would love it.. he hated it!!!! so it will go in the next yard sale...

151-528Wired.jpg

maybe when he's a bit older I would love to try that ring sling..

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old

maybe when he's a bit older I would love to try that ring sling..

~d

Deedle, there are ways to put a newborn in a ring sling as well. Ben liked to be carried like this, vertically.

I have a MayaWrap ring sling collecting dust that anyone can have if they PM me. It wasn't really my type of thing after Xander got a little bigger. It was great when he was a new baby and didn't weigh enough for the Bjorn. Now I use my Hip Hammock or fling him in his stroller.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    I forgot the sling- I had a cheapie one with DD, and it was a great help when I was washing dishes or doing anything were I needed my hands free but wanted her near me, and it didn't hurt my back carrying her around.

I like the wrap sling idea, but I'm afraid they'd get smothered :cry:
    He/She tomatoes tomahtoes. Often it's a nubbin.

Statistically speaking, it's most likely going to be a she.

How about massage oils appropriate for baby? I've been reading how important it is to massage the newborn.

I've read somewhere that more males fetuses are concieved, yet more females are born. A miscarriage is more likely to happen with males. Not sure if that's true (Or how they know because most happen to early to know the sex, and they're not (in most cases) examined. Perhaps there was a study done at some point?
    My reasoning is because he's a former Navy diver and wearing those tight suits over the years have a tendency to impact the male swimmers.

At least that's what I've read.

I'm just crossing my fingers that there's only one in there as I have a long history of producing multiple eggs at a time.
    Spider wrote:

I've read somewhere that more males fetuses are concieved, yet more females are born. A miscarriage is more likely to happen with males. Not sure if that's true (Or how they know because most happen to early to know the sex, and they're not (in most cases) examined. Perhaps there was a study done at some point?

I read something like that once too. I think it said something about how boys are almost a genetic accident and that's why miscarriages are more likely with them. However, I have never been able to find the study again and don't know if it was real science or made up crap.

• automaticflowersautomaticflowers WARegistered Users Posts: 3,465
    DarkAngel wrote:
    I think it said something about how boys are almost a genetic accident and that's why miscarriages are more likely with them. However, I have never been able to find the study again and don't know if it was real science or made up crap.

Aww, if only I had that ammunition to use against my little brother whenever he told me I was adopted when we were kids. :twisted:
  • StephSStephS Registered Users Posts: 352
    Those thin baby washcloths are fab for easily getting into baby's cute folds.

Also, I preferred the newborn gowns (over footed sleepers) that have the drawstring/elastic at the bottom. So VERY convenient when changing diapers in the middle of the night. They also come in Kimono style for easy off-on for changing w/o pulling it over baby's head. There are kimono onsies, too.

I also used the heck out of my boppy pillow, and I had a bath boppy that was SO MUCH easier than the baby tubs. It had a hanger so I was able to just hang it on the rack on the back wall of the tub to drip dry.

Oh! Super soft hooded towels! You need two.
    Some type of swaddling blankets. The soft weave receiving blankets work really well, as do the Gap receiving blankets. If your baby is a magician, you will need the ones with Velcro.

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Are you going to want one of those sleep positioner thingys?

That's one of the things that I thought was a must have that ended up under the crib.

• Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    DarkAngel wrote:

That's one of the things that I thought was a must have that ended up under the crib.

Yeah me too. My baby squirmed her way out of it when she was just a few weeks old. She moves all over the place.

The things I use most are my bouncy seat - just so I have a place to put her when I'm doing something, my sling - Lucy loves it and sometimes it's the only way I can get stuff done around the house and the boppy, even though I'm not breastfeeding it still gives support to my arm when I'm bottle feeding her.

I got TONS of towels, wash cloths, blankets and burp clothes as gifts so my advice would be to only buy a few because chances are people will give them to you. You can always buy them yourself if you don't get them, but I have so many it's silly.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I think an all-terraine or jogging stroller is a necessity, especially if you want to ever spend the day at any outdoor events, or the beach. Watch the moms struggling trying to push regular strollers over grass or sand and you'll see...

I did use a sling, but babies get really heavy, really fast. My boys were all over 20 pounds by 4 months old...too much for me to carry all day.
    A dozen or two dozen plain white cloth diapers. Great as burp cloths and to wipe up just about anything. You will probably get a bunch of frou frou cute ones as gifts, but they will be almost useless.

• munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    Three things which I thought were "over the top" and not necessary but my niece "had to have" were her (1) diaper genie, (2) wipes warmer, and (3) video baby monitor.

If you can afford them, I say go for them. They are three of her favorite things, and I even thought they were handy after seeing them in action. The video monitor she even brought to our house when they spent the night. As I said, they are probably "not necessary" but sure "nice to have."
    3b/c

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file