Would you use pet shampoo?

FJervisFJervis Registered Users Posts: 99
I just came from TJ Maxx and you know how they always have a grab-bag of random things right?

So being the PJ that I am, I browse the haircare isle. And I see this moisturizing shampoo. Usually I can't be bothered with shampoo, but I decide to read the ingredients anyway.

They are: Purified Botanical Water (Infused with Certified Organic Alfalfa, Chamomile, Echinacea, Nettle and Red Clover), Foaming Agents (Saponified Coconut Oil), Violet Color, Vegetable Glycerin, Botanical Tree Essences, d-Limonene (Orange Peel Oil), Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Colloidal Oatmeal.

So I'm like dag! This looks like a really good shampoo. No sulfates, organic ingredients, good ingredients, all that jazz. Then I examine the bottle REALLY closely and realize there are animals on it. Its dog shampoo!

I didn't purchase it. But am I am an extra PJ for having to think long and hard about purchasing? Because it was in the human health care aisle....:-(

Comments

• CurlyminxCurlyminx Registered Users Posts: 5,581
    I had no idea that dogs had such great shampoos!

That the heck?! Why are human shampoos full of SLS then?

I wonder what I would have done if I was you. Would I have bought it??

...off to ponder....
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Well, MegaTek was originally for horses...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • afrikurlafrikurl Registered Users Posts: 736
    Girl I woulda bought that shampoo. All the stuff that has been put in my hair, a little dog shampoo can't hurt. Especially with those ingredients..... don't let be on sale I mighta got 2 or 3 and I don't even like dogs!
  • FJervisFJervis Registered Users Posts: 99
    afrikurl wrote: »
    Girl I woulda bought that shampoo. All the stuff that has been put in my hair, a little dog shampoo can't hurt. Especially with those ingredients..... don't let be on sale I mighta got 2 or 3 and I don't even like dogs!

Thats hilarious. I don't know if TJ Maxx products are uniform around the country but its there and this is the website. It was only 4.99! http://www.nuhemp.com/products_healthandwellness_OmegaSudz.htm
  • LiliputLiliput Registered Users Posts: 55
    Well. I used horse shampoo and conditioner and they work a treat (mane 'n tail). I used to have dandruff and itchies until I tried horse products. I am currently using megatek which is another horse product.

From the ingredients you read on the bottle I would have given it a try. If you are worried your family and friend will freak out if they see the bottle in your bathroom you could always put the stuff in a different bottle! :toothy4:

BTW, if you try the shampoo please let us know how it worked for your hair! :cherry:
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    No...I do not and would not use products made for horses, dogs, cats, etc. on my hair.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • KitathenaKitathena Registered Users Posts: 1,666 Curl Neophyte
    I would have no problem doing that either.

There was a post on LHCF awhile back about someone who bought a dog comb for their hair and loved it.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • toinetoine Registered Users Posts: 15
    I have used mane 'n tail myself. As a matter of fact, I was looking at the same thing in Walmart a couple of days ago. Gourmet dog shampoo or something like that...it was on clearance and I thought about it. When I used mane 'n tail a lot of years ago, it was like a huge trend among Black women. Everyone used it.
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Sure! I'd have tried it.
  • mouseymousey Registered Users Posts: 120
    my dogs use a flea shampoo. it has oatmeal in it too, but it's not enough for me to use it. lol.
    i cannot live without my aviators, my boston terrier, biology and black tights.:love7:
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    toine wrote: »
    I have used mane 'n tail myself. As a matter of fact, I was looking at the same thing in Walmart a couple of days ago. Gourmet dog shampoo or something like that...it was on clearance and I thought about it. When I used mane 'n tail a lot of years ago, it was like a huge trend among Black women. Everyone used it.

Actually Mane 'n Tail was a hit among all women -- not just black women. I was in 7th or 8th grade, and I remember everyone at my school and their mothers buying it. Everyone over looked that it was for horses. Does mane 'n tail market to humans? I thought that they did because of the success.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • chenajchenaj Registered Users Posts: 352
    afrikurl wrote: »

Too funny!
    hair type - definately 4a

wash - any baby shampoo

conditioning styler - homemade blend with shea, coconut, avocado mango, plam, castor, almond and essential oils

Hair pics http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=84285
  • NayaNaya Registered Users Posts: 922
    I might have tried it. I mean, does it matter who/what it's marketed for if the ingredients are good? I use my shampoos and conditioners on my dogs so I'm sure it would work okay the other way around. LOL

Plus, there was nothing "dog specific" in those ingredients. If I made a standard grilled cheese sandwich and said it was "for dogs"... humans could obviously still eat it. It's just marketing. LOL
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • NuHempNuHemp Registered Users Posts: 1
    Found some visits to our site from these forums so figured I'd just drop in and say hello!

Just wanted to let everyone know that our shampoos can definitely be used by people. In fact, a lot of pet owners end up using the shampoos & conditioners for themselves. The formulations are very similar to high-end spa quality shampoos - we definitely like to pamper pets :)
  • davidojerdavidojer Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Yes i'll must use. But after the advice of veterinary doctor. Because sometime you get infection. https://petshealth.ae/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file