CurlTalk

13 Worst Cities for hair

My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Comments

• CurlyQMomCurlyQMom Posts: 203Registered Users
    Too funny - when I straightened I always wanted to move to AZ so the curls wouldn't pop out and frizz as soon as I walked outside the way they did here. Thanks for posting SBB!
    Sulfate & Silcone Free since July 2009
    2C-3A normal to high (ends) porosity, medium texture, lower end of med density
    Currently experimenting with Water Only Washing and dropping stylers

Negative on: AOHR, mineral oil
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCurlyQMom%2F" class="Popup
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Having lived or vacationed in many of those places, I concur. :p I lost a lot of my curl living in NM; it's still recovering.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    I can't believe Oklahoma didn't make the list... dry, hard water, random bouts of humidity, weather is all over the place (take last month for example is was in the 60's one week and then we had a ice/snow storm), and does anyone remember the song Oklahoma? Well here is a reminder... "Oooooooklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain"

Can you tell I miss MD... my curls have never been the same.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I'm in the 3rd worst city?!

Damn, I should write Kinky Curly (along with Aubrey and Curl Junkie) a thank you note, lol. I really don't have any hair problems aside from ingredient intolerances.

I think Eugenes humidity would actually be helpful. Moist, but not gross like the southeast.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users

Damn, I should write Kinky Curly (along with Aubrey and Curl Junkie) a thank you note, lol. I really don't have any hair problems aside from ingredient intolerances.

I think Eugenes humidity would actually be helpful. Moist, but not gross like the southeast.

My hair is always a flat, frizzy mess when I'm in Eugene, no matter what I do to it. And, it's an ugly city in general. If you're ever in Oregon, come to Portland instead and we'll go to Voodoo Doughnuts!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    OperaCurls wrote: »

My hair is always a flat, frizzy mess when I'm in Eugene, no matter what I do to it. And, it's an ugly city in general. If your ever in Oregon, come to Portland instead and we'll go to Voodoo Doughnuts!

Doughnuts?! Heck yeah!! :love4:
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    My hair is always a flat, frizzy mess when I'm in Eugene, no matter what I do to it. And, it's an ugly city in general. If your ever in Oregon, come to Portland instead and we'll go to Voodoo Doughnuts!

Voodoo Doughnuts: The Magic is in the Hole!!! /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voodoodoughnut.com%2Fmenu.php" class="Popup
    Keep Portland weird! LOL
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • mallorysusanmallorysusan Posts: 33Registered Users

Voodoo Doughnuts: The Magic is in the Hole!!! /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voodoodoughnut.com%2Fmenu.php" class="Popup
    Keep Portland weird! LOL

I have to concur with you on all counts, OperaCurls. Eugene is not so great, unless you like the smell of patchouli and Ducks. I live in Portland (but used to live in Grants Pass way down south), and Voodoo is the place I take everyone who visits. I think it ends up scaring them away, with the part of town it's in, but it's always a good time when they see the ****-n-Balls!
    Located in rainy Portland, Oregon

2a/b :: medium porosity :: medium texture :: thick

Currently using-
    Cleanse: soap bars, AOWC poo
    Condition: Jasmine's Shea, CJ BeautiCurls, Aura Cherry Almond
    Leave In: KCKT, Jasmine's Shea
    Styling: Seamollient, KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
  • CurlyQMomCurlyQMom Posts: 203Registered Users
    Guano-

mallorysusan - serious hair envy - I so wish I could pull of your cut! ;-)

/end guano

ETA: I just spit out my water laughing at those doughnuts! I love it!
    Sulfate & Silcone Free since July 2009
    2C-3A normal to high (ends) porosity, medium texture, lower end of med density
    Currently experimenting with Water Only Washing and dropping stylers

Negative on: AOHR, mineral oil
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCurlyQMom%2F" class="Popup
  • *COLLEE**COLLEE* Posts: 95Registered Users
    Yes, the humidity does suck in Eugene. Most of us dont smell like patchouli, thank god. And Im not just saying that because I live in Eugene. Im a Portlander by heart, having been born there.

Oddly enough I have really good hair days in Las Vegas and when Im in Cali. Even have consistent good hair days here in crappy old hippy dippy granola town Eugene. ;)
    Lots of med/fine, med (low?) porosity, 2c/3a curls.
    Shamoo once a week
    Conditioners: Biolage Condish Balm, KCKT, JC aloeba, Hayashi system 911 emergency pak for a protein DT.
    Stylers: Recoil, Imply, BRHG.
    CurlyQMom wrote: »
    Guano-

mallorysusan - serious hair envy - I so wish I could pull of your cut! ;-)

/end guano

ETA: I just spit out my water laughing at those doughnuts! I love it!

Oh thank you! I actually just got it cut again today. It's a bit shorter than usual, but it will end up growing out and into the cut in my avatar. You should try it! I think short hair and bangs look great on most people!

Currently using-
    *COLLEE* wrote: »
    Yes, the humidity does suck in Eugene. Most of us dont smell like patchouli, thank god. And Im not just saying that because I live in Eugene. Im a Portlander by heart, having been born there.

Oddly enough I have really good hair days in Las Vegas and when Im in Cali. Even have consistent good hair days here in crappy old hippy dippy granola town Eugene. ;)

Haha Collee, I really didn't mean it. Just poking some fun. I actually like Eugene for the most part and would've gone to UofO if I didn't absolutely adore Portland so much. I'm a city girl by heart and Eugene couldn't fulfill that role for me, unfortunately. I still have a lot of Duck pride though!

Currently using-

Haha Collee, I really didn't mean it. Just poking some fun. I actually like Eugene for the most part and would've gone to UofO if I didn't absolutely adore Portland so much. I'm a city girl by heart and Eugene couldn't fulfill that role for me, unfortunately. I still have a lot of Duck pride though!

Oh, I know. I like Eugene too. And call it Granola Town with love. Eugene is so not a big city at all. We barely have a downtown. But we are getting a VooDoo Doughnuts in April! :hello1:
    Shamoo once a week
    Conditioners: Biolage Condish Balm, KCKT, JC aloeba, Hayashi system 911 emergency pak for a protein DT.

Oh, I know. I like Eugene too. And call it Granola Town with love. Eugene is so not a big city at all. We barely have a downtown. But we are getting a VooDoo Doughnuts in April! :hello1:

Wow really? That is something to celebrate! Will it be 24 hours? I'm sure all the college kids will like that.

Currently using-

Wow really? That is something to celebrate! Will it be 24 hours? I'm sure all the college kids will like that.

Dont know if it will be 24hr. Yes, the college kids will love it. I love the crazy vibe of their places. Went there last summer, walked in on a wedding. :toothy4:

I came across that list again, somewhere else in my roaming. San Fran is on the best city list, and I have never had a stellar hair day there.
    Shamoo once a week
  • sparrowsparrow Posts: 28Registered Users

Just moved to Cincinnati and was panicking that there are no Deva-trained stylists for miles and miles. Thank god for the stylist reviews on here or I would have been totally screwed.
    2c/3a, low porosity, coarse, very thick

The usual suspects:
    Giovanni 50-50 shampoo
    KY jelly (seriously!)
    Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
    Nexxus Emergencee when needed
  • Salsap1xieSalsap1xie Posts: 22Registered Users
    I'm amazed that Honolulu didn't make the list! Granted, we're not anywhere near as polluted as most of these cities, nor do we have hard water, but we're one of the most consistently humid places in the US. Vegas was on the list, but when I spent last summer there, my hair looked great. It wasn't as curly/wavy as it is here in Hawaii, but it was practically frizz-less.

Honolulu is also a pretty horrible city for curly hair, since the vast majority of our population has silky, straight, typically Asian hair. This means that it's almost impossible to find a stylist who works well with, or even has any respect for wavy or curly hair. I've only had two stylists who didn't make snide comments about my natural texture, and they were both from out-of-state, and even those stylists were all about the silicones. Others would shoot down my requests to be shown how to style my hair with a diffuser or by air drying. I remember a stylist telling me something like, "You really should APPRECIATE the fact that I'm going to give you a great blowout and enjoy this." And of course, I've walked out salons after paying 200-400 dollars, only to wash my hair a couple days later and have it look like a big pouf if I dare to let it dry naturally. But I JUST found an amazing, curly haired stylist so that's in the past. :)

Oh, all of the awesome curly/wavy friendly brands that you guys talk about picking up at salons? You won't find any of those, anywhere in the state, nor will you be able to find any stylist who can give you a DevaCut. I'm really jealous, if you can't tell. =p

But oddly, the average (non-stylist) person here seems to love wavy/curly hair. I get stopped by random people, even when my hair is a frizzy mess, who tell me that it's beautiful. So even in a sea of shiny, perfectly straight hair, there's still some love for waves and curls! Go figure.
  • eyesofsummereyesofsummer Posts: 2Registered Users
    I'm glad to see New Orleans makes the list! I go to school here and it's just awful. Even in the winter when it's somewhat cold the humidity is such a curl killer. I love the city, but I'm running away from the weather as soon as I graduate!
  • alaskantsunamialaskantsunami Posts: 421Registered Users
    Anchorage isn't very much fun for your hair, either. I think I would rather live in quite a few of those other places than up here.
    2C and all the 3s, iii, F, natural brunette.
    mod CG since 03.21.10

Kelso: Hey, guys? I'm thinking about getting a perm. Hyde, can I get the number of your guy?
    Hyde: I don't have a guy. This righteous moss is a gift from God.
    -That 70s Show
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    I'm glad to see New Orleans makes the list! I go to school here and it's just awful. Even in the winter when it's somewhat cold the humidity is such a curl killer. I love the city, but I'm running away from the weather as soon as I graduate!

Hehe. I want to run to New Orleans and soon. My last visit down my hair loved it.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users

I'm in Pgh, too, and I really haven't had any issues. I mean, I get some winter dryness, but my hair's actually better here than it was before I moved here.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,241Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    My hair likes hard water and humidity so many of those places would give me great hair. And I don't go to a hair salon so the cities without them would be fine with me. The dry places I would have to agree with. My hair doesn't like dry so much.

And how old is that list - Pittsburgh is no longer a polluted city.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    Agreed! I think Pittsburgh's quite clean, all things considered.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
    Salsap1xie wrote: »
    I'm amazed that Honolulu didn't make the list! Granted, we're not anywhere near as polluted as most of these cities, nor do we have hard water, but we're one of the most consistently humid places in the US. Vegas was on the list, but when I spent last summer there, my hair looked great. It wasn't as curly/wavy as it is here in Hawaii, but it was practically frizz-less.

Honolulu is also a pretty horrible city for curly hair, since the vast majority of our population has silky, straight, typically Asian hair. This means that it's almost impossible to find a stylist who works well with, or even has any respect for wavy or curly hair. I've only had two stylists who didn't make snide comments about my natural texture, and they were both from out-of-state, and even those stylists were all about the silicones. Others would shoot down my requests to be shown how to style my hair with a diffuser or by air drying. I remember a stylist telling me something like, "You really should APPRECIATE the fact that I'm going to give you a great blowout and enjoy this." And of course, I've walked out salons after paying 200-400 dollars, only to wash my hair a couple days later and have it look like a big pouf if I dare to let it dry naturally. But I JUST found an amazing, curly haired stylist so that's in the past. :)

Oh, all of the awesome curly/wavy friendly brands that you guys talk about picking up at salons? You won't find any of those, anywhere in the state, nor will you be able to find any stylist who can give you a DevaCut. I'm really jealous, if you can't tell. =p

But oddly, the average (non-stylist) person here seems to love wavy/curly hair. I get stopped by random people, even when my hair is a frizzy mess, who tell me that it's beautiful. So even in a sea of shiny, perfectly straight hair, there's still some love for waves and curls! Go figure.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefrisky.com%2Fpost%2F246-best-cities-for-good-hair%2F" class="Popup

Honolulu is #2 in the best hair day cities. I havent ever been there, but I could probably bet the bank that I wouldnt have very happy hair days there.
    Shamoo once a week
  • babycurl81babycurl81 Posts: 17Registered Users
    My hair gets bad when I visit Florida :pale:
    Thick, coarse bra strap length long 3b plus some 3c underneath.
  • alaskantsunamialaskantsunami Posts: 421Registered Users
    2C and all the 3s, iii, F, natural brunette.
    mod CG since 03.21.10

Kelso: Hey, guys? I'm thinking about getting a perm. Hyde, can I get the number of your guy?
    Hyde: I don't have a guy. This righteous moss is a gift from God.
    -That 70s Show
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    ///
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • AKgirlAKgirl Posts: 341Registered Users

I think whoever wrote the article had really never visited Anchorage. ;-)It definitely gets windy here. But it is nice to now know we have soft water.
    2a-2bFii NP?

Low poo: Deva Low-Poo, Jessicurl GLS, Moroccanoil Volumizing Shampoo, Aveda Be Curly
    Condish: Cure Care, Redken Body Full, Deva One C, and Jessicurl Aloeba
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Style Prep <3
    Products: Deva FFVF & Jessicurl Spiralicious (LOVE), TRESemme Curl Boosting Mousse
    Hairspray: Aussie Sprunch, TRESemme Curl
    locking Spray
    Experimenting with lots of products in my cabinet...

My hair loves protein, plopping, and diffusing! Trying to find a way to style and air dry.
  • Salsap1xieSalsap1xie Posts: 22Registered Users
    Salsap1xie wrote: »

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefrisky.com%2Fpost%2F246-best-cities-for-good-hair%2F" class="Popup

Honolulu is #2 in the best hair day cities. I havent ever been there, but I could probably bet the bank that I wouldnt have very happy hair days there.

Oh that's hilarious. Obviously written by somebody who has never actually lived here. Sexy, beachy hair like you get on vacation is not the norm most of the time. There's the stereotype of beachiness in Hawaii, and it's definitely true to an extent, but if you're from the "city" like me, and have a 9-5 m-f office job, you're not going to the beach often. My hair looks great after the beach and reacts well to salt water (at least superficially), but I end up with beachy hair on maybe 10-15 occasions per year. But on most days, there is a slight cloud of frizz throughout the top layers of my hair. I wouldn't say it's awful, but it's definitely not nearly as great as it's been in other places.

But maybe it's really good for people with straight hair. Most of the people in my family have straight hair, and theirs is gorgeous. It seems like the humidity here gives them a bit more volume and a little more texture than they'd have elsewhere. But I can't imagine that the amount of sunshine we get would be good for anybody's hair. If I'm spending a lot of time at the beach over a few weeks, my hair will start turning a bit brassy, very quickly. :(

But yeah, from what some other people are saying, this article seems like it wasn't written by someone who was very well informed about the subject matter.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    No surprise Tejas made the list twice! :lol:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P