CurlTalk

convince me to go short or grow long.. :)

I am so tired of my current length. It does nothing for me; it doesn't look particularly "omg beautiful long hair" nor "fun short hair" -- it's just plain boring. I've never had hair much shorter than this before (I've been cutting off pieces of it over the past year ;) ), and the length I'm tempted by is something around the neck; above shoulders, below chin. The reason I keep hesitating is I keep seeing pictures of beautiful, long hair and I know long hair is simply more striking than short. However, my hair only looks remotely good after I have spent at least 1-2 hours (shower+ plopping time included) on it and I don't have that kind of time, so I end up with frizzy pulled out curls in a scrunchie most of the time. I hate it! I've tried to find ways to fix my hair up quickly in the morning, but it's impossible... I dream of hair that I could detangle in 5 minutes in the shower and plop for 15 minutes.

Here's the question: would short hair look bad on me? I know I don't have those fine features that look best with short hair--my nose is big and bumpy, I have a blocky chin, etc. Please be completely honest! I don't want to convince myself to get the short cut and gasp in horror ;) Or, would short hair not look bad on me, but definitely not as good as long hair?

2009-12-08-23.54.26.jpg

please, PLEASE ignore my transparent lip because I opened my mouth right as the picture was taken... it's a good example of my length. (I realize that now I've mentioned it the scary horrifying lip is all you will be able to look at, but.. XD)
3a in Paris
I use:
Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
High in glycerin conditioners
As much gel as possible
Testing out flax seed gel
Plopping, for around 30 minutes
Pixiecurl drying
Pineappling

Comments

• rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    I really like your hair now. I'm wanting to grow mine out to that length. However, I think you would look really good with short hair as well. I can see maybe a chin/collar bone length with layers on you easily.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,248Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I also think you would look great with a chin length curly bob.
    But your long hair is gorgeous.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • generositytgenerosityt Posts: 245Registered Users
    Why not???? Go for it, do it because you're still young and you should try everything you want to do before it's too late, especially when it comes to appearance and as long as it's reasonable and the outcome is controllable.
    Go get a nice bob, I think it will look great with your bone structure (and your nose may be big but it fits your face just perfect).
    so get the cut you want and if you miss long hair let it grow slowly slowly and enjoy each length.

Note: Just something remembered when I read your post; I taught a student who was about to graduate (from College), one morning he came to class with a blue hair (as blue as the sky!) when I told him what went in his mind when he did that his response was: I've always been thinking how blue hair would look on me but I've never actually done it and now there are only two month left before I graduate get a job and there is no employer in the world that would let me come to work with blue hair, so it's now or never!
    It made such a sense, I wanted to leave the classroom and go do all the things I've always wanted to do!
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    In love with my curls, love love love
    CG since Nov/07

Co-Wash: VO5, Tresemme naturals, Fructis naturals
    Cond: Nature's Gate conditioners
    Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.
    Gel: LA Looks sports gel for high humidity days.

Hair goal: Waist length healthy curls
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    I just chopped my hair off... and all the curl went with it. I must say I am very happy with shorter hair. It is so carefree. I too was spending a god awful amount of time on my hair and at the end of the day it didn't look good (pun intended;).
    I miss my longer hair but I don't miss all the agrivation that went into it. So, with that being said, I am on team 'cut your hair'.
  • lodylody Posts: 334Registered Users
    Thanks, jeep, rockthecurlz. It's not so much that I *hate* my current hair but rather that I never have time to make it look good.
    Generosityt, you are so right! If I had been brave and tried the shorter hair when I wanted to, I'd have already been a year into growing it back out if I didn't like it. I really need to stop cutting off an inch when what I really want to try is like, 6 ;)
    (also I had blue hair once in high school! What I wouldn't give to have that thick, healthy hair that can stand a good white-out bleaching, I'd have blue hair all the time ;) )

wavywonder, thanks for your experience. I would not mind being a wavy at all--I just want to look good darnit! ;)
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    As much gel as possible
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    You have lovely features and would look good with shorter hair too! I would go for something above shoulders and see how you like it. go for it! And take lots of pictures! :D
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    PS -- I know what you mean about having the longer hair; I see pics of mine longer and think it looks good, but then it's all about the hair and not what truly flatters my features. :?
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    PS -- I know what you mean about having the longer hair; I see pics of mine longer and think it looks good, but then it's all about the hair and not what truly flatters my features. :?

Exactly! I see lots of back-of-the-head shots of long hair where I'm just in love, but a lot less perfect front shots, whereas it seems like I see a lot more shorter-hair front shots that look great.

Agh, now I have to figure out if I go the very dangerous salon route (I have never had my hair cut in a salon. I am scared.) or try cutting it myself :P
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    As much gel as possible
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love your hair! I think the length is great for you. How about, instead of going short, you get a cool layered haircut by a curl-expert? I saw a really cool cut in the pics section. I'll see if I can find it again. Edit: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlpix/view/4263/__scurlpix__sindex__s__qsearch_text=__aGallery[]=70__apage=12 I love the shape of that cut; very playful and sexy.

Maybe you don't hate your length so much as you are tired of not having a super-defined hairstyle?

I would be a little wary of going really short (chin length), partly because you have stronger features (I do, too), and partly because going too short or too "styled" can make a young person look older than her years. Though you can pin it up in a fake bob to see if you like the look.

Can I reiterate that I adore your hair? It really is beautiful. I think hair like that needs to be long, so people can get a proper look at it! :blob8:
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
    Double post, sorry.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    wavyblonde wrote: »
    I love your hair! I think the length is great for you. How about, instead of going short, you get a cool layered haircut by a curl-expert? I saw a really cool cut in the pics section. I'll see if I can find it again. Edit: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlpix/view/4263/__scurlpix__sindex__s__qsearch_text=__aGallery[]=70__apage=12 I love the shape of that cut; very playful and sexy.

Maybe you don't hate your length so much as you are tired of not having a super-defined hairstyle?

I would be a little wary of going really short (chin length), partly because you have stronger features (I do, too), and partly because going too short or too "styled" can make a young person look older than her years. Though you can pin it up in a fake bob to see if you like the look.

Can I reiterate that I adore your hair? It really is beautiful. I think hair like that needs to be long, so people can get a proper look at it! :blob8:

Aw, thanks! :) That picture is fun, but aah, trying to find a good curly hair stylist, it's too scary ;) But really my issue isn't my hair when it is styled--I think it looks fine, if a bit boring, when I've just done it that day. The issue is it requires at least 20 minutes in the shower to detangle, another 10-15 minutes to apply products and put in a plop, at the VERY LEAST 30 minutes of plopping, 10ish minutes of drying with a diffuser, and then multiple hours before it is fully dry and pretty. And I do not get second day hair I'm sooo over that xD If I could find a way to style it faster, if I knew how to put up my second-day hair so that frizz isn't an issue, it might bug me less. However, as it is right now, most mornings I walk out with a frizzy, fuzzy, scrunchied ponytail that just makes me look terrible :(
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    As much gel as possible
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

phpgrpxc5.jpg

I like that style wavyblonde posted. :) Her features are similar too. You could go for that length or just to the shoulder with that same style. And you could let the front (bangs) fall forward or to the sides for variety. That's a cute cut.
  • urbanmommyurbanmommy Posts: 155Registered Users
    Here's my 2 cents: wait, see if the urge passes, then reassess a few months from now.

I was just past SL, it was getting high maintenance, I cut to a lob, didn't like that length because it was kinda boring, thought about going shorter, then decided to do a "discount" keratin treatment. Yadda, yadda, yadda, I ended up with a buzz cut.

I like the cut shown above because it gives you the best of both worlds. ;)
    My Hair Blog
    3b/c who grew out a chemical haircut
    Products: Shea Moisture Shampoo, Suave Moroccan Infusion Shampoo & Conditioner, Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor, Suave Volumizing Mousse

36 MONTHS SINCE THE BUZZ CUT!

• generositytgenerosityt Posts: 245Registered Users
    Who is she in the picture? Is she one of the community here? Her hair is just gorgeous! I could use her picture (and many of the pictures here actually) to dare anyone to say curly hair doesn't look touchable, professional, sexy, edgy, or any of that nonsense people always say about curly hair.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    In love with my curls, love love love
    CG since Nov/07

Co-Wash: VO5, Tresemme naturals, Fructis naturals
    Cond: Nature's Gate conditioners
    Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.
    Gel: LA Looks sports gel for high humidity days.

Hair goal: Waist length healthy curls
    What do you guys think is going on in that picture? Is it a lot of layers going right up to "bang length"? I like it but I have no clue what exactly it is xD

urbanmommy, no fear xD if I am displeased with a bob (and a bob is a bit shorter than I really mean to go if I cut), I will grow out. I *know* very short hair on me would make me very unhappy! And I have been thinking about shorter hair on and off for about a year now.. Hmm.
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    As much gel as possible
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users
    I would try layers 1st; if you don't like it then chop it off later. Growing out can be a real pain!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I think collarbone length with some long layers would look great on you!
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • lotoloto Posts: 133Registered Users
    I think mid-back length would look wonderful on you.

I cut my hair a few months ago... I got a very chic, easy to take care of style that I love. However, sometimes I miss how girly long hair made me feel.
    3A: med/coarse texture; high porosity
    <3 Honey rinses
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    hmmm tough decision. your hair is gorgeous and your features are nice and strong. you could go either way. i think a bit more height on top would look good too. i always do my hair at night and wake up with good looking curls. life is too short to spend that much time on hair. i have some videos on youtube under lazycurls that show my very short routine. takes me about 3 min in shower to detangle hair w wide tooth comb. then i throw stuff on it. put a turban on and hang out at night--change the towel a few times and air dry then plop in turban overnight. good luck--i am sure it will be beautiful whatever you do.
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • FroggiloreFroggilore Posts: 141Registered Users
    I'm in the process of growing out and annoyed with it right now, having the same problem that I spend tons of time and it never looks awesome. However, I'm in the layer it or let it get longer camp. I LOVE your hair. I think the color and curl in the pics and your avatar are awesome. In frustration of spending too much time on my hair and being late to work, I've been trying the less is more routine. Wet, CO wash if I'm feeling itchy and scrunch in some leave in. Plop to keep it out of the way while I'm getting ready and go. I lose some curl but I'm frizz free and doing great.
    That said, a short cut would look very cute, but I'm definately in the let it grow camp as I'm eternally jealous of your curls.
    Hair type: 2a/b, medium to fine texture, medium to high porosity (I think!)
    Routine: Occasionally wash with Lavender baby shampoo. CO wash with Garnier triple nutrition conditioner, use a nickel sized blob as a leave in, scrunch out a little water, scrunch in some aloe gel (FOTE), then scrunch in some Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (BRHG). Plop with a backwards turbie twist for 10 min - to overnight.
    CG since 23 May 2009! (with some minor slips)
    lody wrote: »
    What do you guys think is going on in that picture? Is it a lot of layers going right up to "bang length"? I like it but I have no clue what exactly it is xD

It looks to me like layers throughout, and an angled bang that starts a little further back towards the crown? Maybe you could find a good recommendation on this site for curly stylists in your area.

I think some added layers (and maybe bangs like the pic) would help shave some time off your routine--it would still look long, but there would be less actual hair to deal with.

That cut looks like a lot of layering throughout to me, much like I usually wear mine, except for the front. I might try styling the front that way next time. :)
  • CuzzoercCuzzoerc Posts: 164Registered Users
    Hey lody

I'm wanting another 6 to 8 inches all the way around, so I would tell you to keep it nice and long. let it grow more. here is mine.

DON'T CUT YOURS:tongue10::toothy10:

15736239681_ORIG.jpg
    DSC01568.jpg
    DSC01477-1.jpg
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    Hi Lody, I think your hair "done" looks good, and does look like a hairstyle, not just long hair.

I've had superlong, bald, everything in between, all the colors too, except yellow, never did yellow.

I think that one thing to remember about medium-bob-ish hair is that it's common? So you have all this length now, and you want a style, it seems better to at least try leveraging what you have that is spectacular (length and curls) in your new hairstyle.

So I am very firmly in the Try Layering First camp. And less firmly in the Professional Haircut camp.

When I got a lot of layers cut into my hair, the drying time dropped very dramatically. Takes half as long or even less time now. A good stylist can take out a lot of hair and still make it look like you have a lot of hair. And you would get some shape and different style that way, and also from a practical standpoint you know you don't have to cut long hair nearly as often as short hair, the haircuts last a lot better.

Strong features, though? They look fine with short hair, to me.

And remember, hair grows, so it's kinda hard to make a mistake, you can always just let it grow back out.

Well those are my thoughts.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    I guess I really need to get over my fear of salons! I've debated layers for a while but I cannot cut them myself and there are so many rules for them... "not too short, NO RAZORING/feathering/etc, very blocky, blaahblabla" that I fear trying to tell a hair stylist that.
    Actually now that I think about it, unless I by luck pick a very good stylist, they'll most likely "trim" the bottom by at least an inch or so if I don't ask specifically not to, right? So I might well end up with shorter hair anyway xD
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    As much gel as possible
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

When you do go to the salon to find a new stylist, ask for a consultation first (it's usually free). Ask the questions you mentioned, and any others, and see if you feel comfortable and if the stylist really listens to you. I found a few wonderful stylists over the years this way (unfortunately had to move and lost them)--- and I've gone running from several after consultations with some of them! :eek:

Good luck and keep us posted. :)
  • CurlyQMomCurlyQMom Posts: 203Registered Users
    The mom in me says "you can always cut more, but you can never add back what you cut." When did I become so boring?!

I do think you can easily wear a much shorter cut and I think it would open up your face. Maybe do it gradually so you don't have super hair shock? Then again, nothing is as fun as a drastic change (so says the girl who has been known to go from mid-back length to Keri Russell short style in a matter of minutes :p)

Also - +1 on the stylist consult. Remember they work for YOU! I can't wait to see what you decide to do - you have lovely hair.
    Sulfate & Silcone Free since July 2009
    2C-3A normal to high (ends) porosity, medium texture, lower end of med density
    Currently experimenting with Water Only Washing and dropping stylers

Negative on: AOHR, mineral oil
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCurlyQMom%2F" class="Popup
    Have you thought more about it? Have you had any promising consultations? Let us know what you decide to do! :)
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Have you thought more about it? Have you had any promising consultations? Let us know what you decide to do! :)

I have thought about it but done nothing yet, since I have spent a ton of money lately (well, not THAT bad, but I'll feel better if I hold off for a month or so before spending more "looks" money ;) ). In the meantime, I'll try to find a salon that will cut my hair nicely. I'm thinking of asking for slightly shorter (just a bit) with layers, and then depending on what I feel with the layers, going to "long bob" length a few months later, or not.
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    As much gel as possible
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

That sounds like a good plan. :) Good luck!