CurlTalk

Butters...my new love

dark_wavesdark_waves Posts: 611Registered Users
I've been using Runner's emollience, and when I use it after I SOTC my hair seems fuller. Not bigger...but fuller (if that makes sense).

I am not a fan of "big" hair with lots of volume. A lot of times I like the way my hair looks as the day goes on, it has settled down and looks more natural to me I guess. With the butter I am able to essentially get this look at the beginning of the day after I SOTC, but it doesn't make my hair limp later in the day or productly looking. I guess it soaks it, because I bet I could use it again at the end of the day too and it would still not look bad.

I always stayed away from trying butters because my hair gets weighed down easily and I thought it would be a disaster...I am so glad I tried it though!

Any other butters out there that you gals like?
How do you use them?

I can't wait for Runner's Mango Butter to be ready :happy2:
FIA: 2b/cFii
normal porosity

Comments

• eklecktikaeklecktika Posts: 230Registered Users
    I've been loving BotticelliBabe's cupuacu coconut butter. Scrunched in wet, my hair is loving it.

I use a lot too, a couple pea size blobs for not quite shoulder length hair.
    "It's a wonder God suffers so many fools, what with lightening so cheap"~Mark Twain
    Lady Eklecktika Fidens of Caduceus
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    eklecktika wrote: »
    I've been loving BotticelliBabe's cupuacu coconut butter. Scrunched in wet, my hair is loving it.

Me too! I use it to sotc on dry hair and it works great...I'll have to try it on wet hair, never thought of using it that way...do you use it before or after applying your products? TIA. This and Runner's are keepers for me!
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    OOOH surprised Alex hasn't found this thread yet heh.

Alex introduced me to a butter called Gillian Hair Butter by Shescentit. It is super light, and for me, it seems to have just a little bit of hold. I only use a tiny bit, but it calms down fuzz and seems to keep my hair from losing its structure. I would have never thought a butter could do that. Not ALL butters do that though. So far Gillian is my fave. :love8:
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • dark_wavesdark_waves Posts: 611Registered Users
    goobernut wrote: »
    OOOH surprised Alex hasn't found this thread yet heh.

Alex introduced me to a butter called Gillian Hair Butter by Shescentit. It is super light, and for me, it seems to have just a little bit of hold. I only use a tiny bit, but it calms down fuzz and seems to keep my hair from losing its structure. I would have never thought a butter could do that. Not ALL butters do that though. So far Gillian is my fave. :love8:

I want to try it! Going to search for it right now :computer:
    normal porosity
    Goob...what scent did you get?

I am having a hard time deciding. I'm thinking about: Coconut, Coconut Mango, Mango, Pink Lemonade, Coconut Lime...so hard!
    normal porosity
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Love the Gillian Butter!

We use it everyday on my daughters...just posted on the Shescentit thread on Readers Product Review board.

We've used Creamsicle, Sugar Cookie, Strawberry and Vanilla Almond. ALL are wonderful:)

This stuff rocks! BEST. STUFF. EVER!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthewavytales.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    curlykey wrote: »

Me too! I use it to sotc on dry hair and it works great...I'll have to try it on wet hair, never thought of using it that way...do you use it before or after applying your products? TIA. This and Runner's are keepers for me!
    It's my base layer-I've been using it under everything here lately.

Darn. Now I have to decide WHICH I'm going to order next...Runner's Emollience has been sounding awful good...and the shescentit line ALL looks awesome. Am I gonna have to get a second job to support my hair? I think so!
    "It's a wonder God suffers so many fools, what with lightening so cheap"~Mark Twain
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I made my own butter today from shea butter and coconut oil. I use it to seal my hair when it is wet. Melt 2/3 shea and 1/3 coconut oil. Cool and beat. These other butters look good when I run out.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • peaches1975peaches1975 Posts: 211Registered Users
    I LOVE butters! My hair can get weighed down too, but only certain ingredients do that. And even then, they still have their place. For example, mineral oil makes my hair flat and very very little frizz. So, I like Sally's K-pac or Lustrasilk Aloe on days I'm straightening my hair. Helps to hold the straightness. I also liked oils for this.

Shea butter is my all time fav, but just recently I purchased a a different brand (yellow cake) and I did NOT like it to SOTC. It just isn't the same as the NOW brand that I prefer (white and crumbly). But, the yellow kind makes for a wonderful addition to a DT or pre-poo. So I didn't lose anything.
    2aFii, low porosity, :love4: protein!
    Color treated (blonde, but darned grays!)
    COwash: Suave, V05, Salon Care Honey Almond
    CO: GVPCB, LVNPG, GFTN, HSH Pumpkin, Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    DTs: Lustrasilk SM, GVPCB
    PTs: Aphogee 2-step, ION Effective Care inbetween
    LIs/Stylers: Any of my COs, FSG, EcoStyler Krystal, LOOC, shea butter to SOTC

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fpeaches1975%2F" class="Popup
    Dark -- I just ordered my own full sizes two days ago! I got Coco Mango, Vanilla Almond, Coco lime verbena.

I can't remember what smell the sample was I got. Alex can tell you -- she's the one who got me addicted lol.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    Oh, and peda, I did something very similar! I was hoping to do the same with it, but I knew just the oils would be too heavy on my hair. SoooOOooo I read a bunch of articles and I decided to add aloe vera gel. It whipped up into this wonderful, wonderful fluffy stuff! However, it leaves a film on my hands, so I'm kinda afraid to try it in my hair. Its FOTE though, so tons of people use that in their hair. I should get brave and do it.

Actually, I used 2 oz shea, 1 oz aloe, 2 tbsp coco oil, 1 tsp meadowfoam oil (helps with water retention). I plan to try this again when I get the Simple Aloe jelly from Essentials. It doesn't have carbomer in it, and I'm pretty sure that's whats making it feel filmy on my hands, AND I know that my hair loves the Simple Aloe Jelly.

• AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Dark -- I just ordered my own full sizes two days ago! I got Coco Mango, Vanilla Almond, Coco lime verbena.

I can't remember what smell the sample was I got. Alex can tell you -- she's the one who got me addicted lol.

Ohhh let me know how you like the coco ones... really love coco mango myself..might have to try that one!!

And I think I sent you Creamsicle or Sugar Cookie..probably creamsicle. Since Tahia is the largest user she picks the scent. I may go order some more..love to have choices!

I also need to re order my Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream for Tia...we're 1/2 way done and I got it in November. Since it can take several weeks to get it I think I'd better order now so I have it by end of February..we cannot run out of either of these now!!!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthewavytales.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

I think I'll order a sample of the coco mango.

How are the shipping costs, is it worth it to buy a sample from her, or just the full tub? Her prices are very reasonable, so I may just bite the bullet and buy the full tub (I can always swap it if it doesn't work).
    normal porosity
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    DW--
    I took your advice and applied Runner's butter to wet hair (that was your suggestion, right?) my hair is still wet... so we'll see what happens.
    DW--
    I took your advice and applied Runner's butter to wet hair (that was your suggestion, right?) my hair is still wet... so we'll see what happens.

I think someone else had mentioned it, but I do want to try it. I have to wait for the weekends to experiment though...can't go to work looking like a wet dog, like when I had my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] mishap :thumbdown:

How much did you use? Let me know how it turns out!
    normal porosity
    I can't pick a scent to get, and started looking into FO's to scent my simple aloe jelly with and thought about just getting unscented and adding my own FO to it.

Do you think this would work, or will I screw up the formulation of it?

Alex & Goob (or anyone else who has used this) - have you used this over a curl enhancer like simple aloe jelly in place of a gel?

I'm in search of something to use over my enhancers that will be soft without SOTC (really I'm just kind of sick of gels and looking for an alternative every once and a while...).
    normal porosity
    I have to use a GEL no matter what, so someone else will have to give some advice heh.

DW--
    How'd the butter on wet hair work?

Is Runner's butter worth the $$$? It seems like so much for four ounces...or am I just a tightwad?

I've got to order some of that simple aloe jelly.
    You seriously cannot mention being a tightwad while I know you use BB's smoothie condish :) hahaha.

(btw, don't ever take me seriously :)

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    DW--

Is Runner's butter worth the $$$? It seems like so much for four ounces...or am I just a tightwad?

Runner's Emollience is the nicest butter I've ever used. And I have two from shescentit--the Gillian and I forget the other. I actually forget I have them.

Today, I tried a product combination for someone. Wasn't the best. I smoothed some of Runner's jelly on my hair, wet my hands and scrunched. It calmed the frizz and tightened the curls. I was just doing a sample of the Emollience--there was a little left on the utensil I was using, so I smoothed that on. It just sank into my low porosity hair! Butters don't usually do that for me!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DW--

I definitely think it's worth it, BUT I only use one finger swipe over the top (not even half a pea size, maybe a quarter) to smooth over my hair. My jar should last me a while.
    normal porosity
    You seriously cannot mention being a tightwad while I know you use BB's smoothie condish :) hahaha.

(btw, don't ever take me seriously :)
    LOL...Goob, sounds like me. Fifty percent of what I say is tongue in cheek, and the other half is likely to be as well.8-)

Actually, the $60:pale: I dropped on my BB collection is WHY my PJ is on a very short, very strong, CHAIN. With a prong collar and electric fence surrounding my pocketbook.

And durn you Kathy, to the deepest realm of Aruba. Now I'm gonna have to get some of that stuff. Oh well. I'm gonna PM you later in the day for some sample size stuff too.

We really need a good PJ icon. Mine looks like the hungry monster from Weight Watchers. Only with really fabulous, sproingy curls. Sorta like _<insert tremendously long list of folks with really awesome hair>_.

Albeit orange.
  • mom2e3mom2e3 Posts: 73Registered Users
    DW--
    Bumping this to see how you liked this technique, Wavy.

I just got Runner's emollience yesterday. Tried it on my naked hair (after I posted pics in the other thread) and didn't like it so much. I'm going to experiment over the next few days.
    Mostly sure I'm a 2b/Mii
    Just starting out (and brining the entire family along for the ride):
    CO-wash...V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie
    Rinse-out Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Fortifying Cream Conditioner Moisture Works for Dry or Damaged Hair
    Leave-in Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream Sleek and Shine
    Gel...Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel
    Wish me luck!