Newbie thinking about DIY BKT

hunnybunnyhunnybunny Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi! This is my first post :bunny:

I am seriously thinking about doing the BKT myself, where I live the salons don't offer this service, they don't even understand my hair. I have thin hair, 3b curls mixed with ugly non defined curls. I have abused my curls since very young, relaxers, not knowing which products to use, hair extensions, too much heat, gross humid weather, etc. 2 years ago was the last time I got my hair relaxed and used hair extensions. Yay! My hair is much more healthy now...I also discovered little things that helped get my hair a little bit healthier, like not using a towel after washing my hair, co-washing...but I miss not being able to wear my hair curly, so I blow dry and flat iron everytime..I am not making any sense but when I used to have my hair relaxed I could wear it curly and fix it with the curling iron. Without the relaxer, of course my hair is healthier and shinier, less breakage, but my curls grow upwards rather than long, a frizzy afro anyone??? :afro: I like long curly hair on me! I have a roundish-heart shaped face and short curly hair that goes upwards looks so ugly on me! I like long wavy-curly big volumey hair. I am good at blow-drying my hair (learned after so many years, about time,ha) but I have a lot of baby hairs, always have and they are really hard to get to stay down, really curly roots, breakage in the top...I wonder if the BKT gets those hairs down? I don't want stick straight hair (not the best look for me, I like volume), I can do it with my GHD, I want the hair to be loose, to look carefree, to be more low maintenance, to be able to wear it wavy, looser, for the curls to look longer.. can BKT do that?

So I want to do the BKT, don't know which brand to use, read that formaldehyde is not good, so I want one that is formaldehyde-free. Oh also my hair is colored-high-lighted, ....Also, thinking about adding a baby to the family,is this treatment safe for pregnant women?

So sorry this is so long,,,I am so lost, thanks for reading if you made it to the end, :D

Comments

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    hunnybunny wrote: »
    Hi! This is my first post :bunny:

I am seriously thinking about doing the BKT myself, where I live the salons don't offer this service, they don't even understand my hair. I have thin hair, 3b curls mixed with ugly non defined curls. I have abused my curls since very young, relaxers, not knowing which products to use, hair extensions, too much heat, gross humid weather, etc. 2 years ago was the last time I got my hair relaxed and used hair extensions. Yay! My hair is much more healthy now...I also discovered little things that helped get my hair a little bit healthier, like not using a towel after washing my hair, co-washing...but I miss not being able to wear my hair curly, so I blow dry and flat iron everytime..I am not making any sense but when I used to have my hair relaxed I could wear it curly and fix it with the curling iron. Without the relaxer, of course my hair is healthier and shinier, less breakage, but my curls grow upwards rather than long, a frizzy afro anyone??? :afro: I like long curly hair on me! I have a roundish-heart shaped face and short curly hair that goes upwards looks so ugly on me! I like long wavy-curly big volumey hair. I am good at blow-drying my hair (learned after so many years, about time,ha) but I have a lot of baby hairs, always have and they are really hard to get to stay down, really curly roots, breakage in the top...I wonder if the BKT gets those hairs down? I don't want stick straight hair (not the best look for me, I like volume), I can do it with my GHD, I want the hair to be loose, to look carefree, to be more low maintenance, to be able to wear it wavy, looser, for the curls to look longer.. can BKT do that?

So I want to do the BKT, don't know which brand to use, read that formaldehyde is not good, so I want one that is formaldehyde-free. Oh also my hair is colored-high-lighted, ....Also, thinking about adding a baby to the family,is this treatment safe for pregnant women?

So sorry this is so long,,,I am so lost, thanks for reading if you made it to the end, :D

Wow...did I write this? LOL...you are how I used to be before I found BKT. I wore my hair up in a hair weave for 3 years because of horrible breakage after a full lifetime of hair drama. I lost my job and could no longer afford the hair weaving, and I was sick to death of it anyway. Go to my QOD Max thread in this section to read about my DIY BKT journey if you are interested and haven't already.

As far as in pregnancy? I don't think it's recommended while you're pregnant. I certainly wouldn't recommend having it applied *while* you're pregnant--or even while trying. Before trying to become pregnant and then after completion of breast feeding *shouldn't* be a problem, though, but don't take *my* word on that. I wouldn't take anyone's word on that here--check with your OB/GYN for info like that. My feeling is that any medical professional will warn you away from BKT because of the formaldehyde, regardless of pregnancy or not. I don't think ethically they could tell you that it's safe, whether it truly is or isn't. I don't think enough is known about it yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file