I'm scared...am I doing something wrong?

calmwithcurlscalmwithcurls Posts: 78Registered Users
I haven't relaxed in two months and have then actively took care of my hair to transition for a month, making a total of 3 months transition time. :occasion7:To do this I modified my schedule of wash, blowdry, and flatiron once a week to meet my current one. I thought the more I washed the less my hair work break because it would recieve more moisture. I co-wash on average 3 times a week due to my hefty schedule and deep condition on the weekend with heat for 18-20 min. Unfortunately the brakage seems to increase every wash day and I lost about equivilant to a golf ball when collected from the shower, and probably another one trying to do a braid out (my protective style) just now :scratch:. Everyday I apply "healthy hair butter" as a hairdress and put my hair in a satin cap at night. Before my hair loss significantly diminished when starting this but now its like my previous routine multiplied by 4. :dontknow:I can't cut my hair because I know I don't look good with short hair. I could imagine the shock I would grow through having to work with two inches of hair that would probably shrink without the relaxed ends weight. I'm probably just being paranoid but the truth remains I just don't know what the main cause is. I haven't exactly introduced a lot of protein to my regime nor my diet since I'm trying to reduce red meat in an attempt to reduce acne, could that be a problem? How much hair do you or did you lose on average transitioning and what did you do to reduce it?
6 months into transitioning! :lol:
Hair Type: Don't care now, just want it long enough to be put in a ponytail :hippy2:
New Hair Resolution: Hair Health and Length!
:wav:
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• pinkleo7pinkleo7 Posts: 7Registered Users
    I would honestly try to leave any heat out of the picture for now. I'm fairly new at this, but maybe its the stress from the flat iron and blow dry coupled with the other stuff like lack of protein. I would say try not using any heat for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I only comb when my hair is wet and i do it at night so i dont have to worry about needing a blowdryer... let me know how it work out

:love5:Hang in there Transition buddy
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    It is common to have breakage / shedding as you transition. As long as you aren't combing out clumps of hair or noticing bald spots (which might indicate a medical problem) you are experiencing the same thing everyone who has transitioned has experienced (it scared me too). The demarcation point of the relaxer/natural hair is very delicate and prone to breakage. Only comb your wet hair when it is SOAKING and has conditioner in it, and wash it less. Try some protective styles which you do not have to work on so much while you are growing out and wrapping your hair at night is a must. Buns, braids, anything like that - just keep your scalp clean and healthy. When you are blowing out, flatironing, etc, make sure you use protective products (I used Redken's Extreme products in the blue containers to keep the hair from snapping off during wet styling - I believe the product is actually called Anti-Snap and it can be bought in most beauty supply stores) Keep a good balance of moisture and protein. Your straightened hair needs protein but your natural stuff needs moisture. Finally, take advice but listen to your own hair for its response to your regimen. And keep your head up!
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    Oh, and answer to your question, I was combing out so much shedding hair at first that I had to declog my drains monthly. Letting go of the red meat is a GREAT idea, and so is spending more time letting your deep conditioner work.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • calmwithcurlscalmwithcurls Posts: 78Registered Users
    Thanks for your support guys, but in case anyone is confused I meant to say I stopped blowdrying, flatironing, etc. When I said I used heat with deep conditioning, I meant one of those hooded dryers you use. Sorry! Keep on voting please!
    6 months into transitioning! :lol:
    Hair Type: Don't care now, just want it long enough to be put in a ponytail :hippy2:
    New Hair Resolution: Hair Health and Length!
    :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file