Idea for getting more volume

I tried something today that definitely helped my hair from being flat on top. I took and old pick that I had probably from the 80s and with my hair already a little dry from diffusing I slipped it along my scalp from the front to back, laying flat on the top of your head and lifting it straight up and holding the diffuser on it for a little bit. I also did it along the crown going in from the side and lifting a little. It definitely helped my volume. Thought I would just throw that out there. Maybe it would help someone else.
:dontknow:Hair Type: 3a I think
Co-wash: Suave Naturals Lavender or Coconut
Rinse Out: Nature's Gate Henna, GF Triple Nutrition, GVP
Leave In: Any one of the above rinse outs
Styling: I need help, BRHG, FSG, HETT mousse, Biotera Curl Creme. I have lots of stuff just don't know what to do...help!:confused2:

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    Neat idea! Think I'll give it a try....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I seriously hope this method works for most people and takes off. I really want to start asking people "Have you tried the Maroon Monkey Method?".
    Love the screen name.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • MaroonMonkeyMaroonMonkey Registered Users Posts: 61
    LOL :laughing5::laughing5:
    Styling: I need help, BRHG, FSG, HETT mousse, Biotera Curl Creme. I have lots of stuff just don't know what to do...help!:confused2:
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    Cool idea. Wonder if it would work at the back and side. My top volume isn't too bad, it's the back and sides of the back that is crap.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    I have done it with the back and it works there too. I don't see why it wouldn't work on the sides. Just make sure it is directly at the scalp so it doesn't disrupt the curl you have going. I am going to play around a little more today I think and try different things with the pick.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    I sometimes do this same idea with a regular comb. I have ADD when it comes to styling my hair so I forget to do things. I need to make a list. :lol:
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • PreciousHoneyPreciousHoney Registered Users Posts: 254
    Hmm I could see that working with a rat tailed comb as well. Just to slide the tail in spots that might need a little lift.

Good idea!

I also want to run around saying the Maroon Monkey Method!
    Precious Honey :)
    3c with some 3b at the bottom.
    Im lovin HENNA
    Light protein use

Co-wash: Suave Daily Clarifying Co
    Rinse-out: Back to Basics Pom Peach (old bottle) or GVP Conditioning Balm
    DT: GVP Condidtioning Balm with heat
    Leave in: Elucence MBC
    Gel: HEBE or Aussie Instant Freeze gel.
    Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Balance
    http://public.fotki.com/Precioushoney/
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    I'm worried this would break up my curl pattern. Do you find it elongates your curl pattern at all??

Hehehe imagine the verb form! "Today, I applied x, y, z, then I MaroonMonkeyed while diffusing"
    You guys are so funny. I can't possible be the first to think of this.:blob2:

Laura Lee: It doesn't seem to bother my curls at all. I sometimes finger curl the top and this seemed to make that look better and less structured I guess you could say. No so obvious that I finger curled if you know what I mean. I just run the pick along my scalp right up net to it and lift so it doesn't really even touch the curls just from the roots up an inch or so. With gel holding it all together it all comes up kind of together.
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,660 Curl Neophyte
    I do the same thing--hair pick and diffuser on nearly dry hair. I try not to disturb my hair while air drying, but when it's almost done, I really want to boost my root, so I add a bit more gel, just a little, and lift/hot shot diffuse/cool.

Helps some. :)

While my curls are somewhat disrupted after Pineappling during sleep, I find that Pineappling also adds volume to the roots. Second day volume is better, even if curls and frizz are less divine.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Laura Lee wrote: »
    I'm worried this would break up my curl pattern. Do you find it elongates your curl pattern at all??

Hehehe imagine the verb form! "Today, I applied x, y, z, then I MaroonMonkeyed while diffusing"

For me I am not combing at all....I just slide the comb up by the root towards my part and then I hold the diffuser there. No combing action done.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    Ah gotcha about the combing! I was imagining raking the comb all the way through which with my weak curl pattern would be bad news. That's an interesting idea though. Kinda like clipping, but without the pain in the rear of actually clipping
    Laura Lee wrote: »
    Ah gotcha about the combing! I was imagining raking the comb all the way through which with my weak curl pattern would be bad news. That's an interesting idea though. Kinda like clipping, but without the pain in the rear of actually clipping

Exactly. And you know my issues with clipping.:scratch:
    Central Massachusetts

double post
    Central Massachusetts

• MirCurlsMirCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,660 Curl Neophyte
    Clipping did squat for me, and often did WORSE than no-clipping, which is why I experimented with the root diffusing with pick-comb. :)
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file