Give me some advice on my body butter please :)

Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
I made my own body butter tonight! I was reading some of the wholesale organic bases websites and I can across wholesale aloe butter, which intrigued me. I have sensitive, dry skin which is always thirsty, and the ingredients for the butter were simply coconut oil and aloe vera extract. Well, I have both of those, so I figured I'd try it.

I put in some eyeballed amounts of just barely warmed (so still basically solid) coconut oil and aloe (I'd guess the mix was about 75:25 coconut oil to aloe). I then dribbled some vitamin e oil (my skin loves it) on top (not too much). I used a fork to mash the ingredients together because I don't have a hand mixer on me. I think that having a hand mixer would have helped one of the problems I had.

I took a shower, then tried the butter on my skin. It felt really really amazing! Just melted right on and felt cooling and soothing. I had my roommate try some and she immediately demanded I make her a batch haha. But, always wanting to improve, here are my problems/wants:

1) The mix came out a little chunky. I know having a hand mixer would help with this. Most of the body butter recipes I've seen online called for shea butter. Do you think adding some shea butter would improve the overall consistency?

2) It melted in, but it's not absorbing as quickly as I like. It's mostly absorbed now (it's been about 45 minutes since application). Is there anything I can add/adjust to make it more fast-absorbing?

3) What other sorts of things can I add? Will a body butter hold a carrier oil? Fragrance oil? Are there are fragrance oils that are particularly good for sensitive skin/eczema??

Thank you mixtresses :wave:
http://www.dormroomcurly.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/dormroomcurly

Fine/thin 2c/3a, Low-Medium Porosity, Dry!

Comments

• CeriCeri Posts: 142Registered Users
    I love making my own homemade body butter! And yea using it right after getting out of the shower is the best. I haven't had my typical dry, itchy, scaly skin yet this winter!

A mixer will really be helpful if you can get one. I use my KitchenAid, but even a handheld one is better than a fork:wink: .Shea butter is great in a body butter and is what I've used as my main ingred. I've also heard Mango butter works well and I plan to try that next.

As for using carrier oils, yes you want to add them to any butter you use. I just kinda throw bits of this and that into my butters. So far I've used melted Virgin Coconut oil, Fractionated Coconut oil (light and absorbs into the skin quickly), Rice Bran oil (very moisturizing and cheap!), Tamanu (great for healing skin problems and smells like butter pecan ice cream, but very expensive!), Argan ( great for hair too, but expensive) in different combos.

I love playing with FOs. As far as being good for sensitive skin/eczema FOs and EOs are very different. FOs are just fragrance, but EOs can have actual healing effects.

Tapioca starch or cornstarch added to the butter will make it less greasy and will help it to absorb a little faster. Just remember, oils and butters that are thicker, more moisturizing = more greasy and longer to soak into the skin. So it just depends on what you want and what feels good on your skin. Lighter carrier oils like fractionated coconut or grapeseed oils soak into the skin faster and feel much lighter.

My favorite site for butters, carrier oils, and FOs is
    http://www.thesage.com/catalog/index.html
    They have a large selection, good prices, and fast shipping!

Have fun, but I'm warning you right now this hobby can be addicting!:color:
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    I will definitely acquire a mixer in the future. I just figured since I was just playing with ingredients to see if it had potential, a crude mixing method would suffice :tongue3:

I hadn't heard that about the cornstarch. I like using a butter after my shower, but since I usually take showers in the AM, a moisturizing butter that sinks in in 30 mins or less would be ideal, since I don't want to get oil and such on my clothes! I will definitely pick up some cornstarch before I make my next batch though and see if that helps

I know shea butter is what is generally used for whipped body butters. I'm just wondering what would happen if I did a combo of my aloe butter (aloe extracted with coconut oil) and shea butter. I've read some recipes that say melt the shea first, then add stuff, so I suppose that I'd melt the shea, then add it to my aloe butter ingredients and mix those and let the melted shea solidify in the fridge. Just sort of thinking out loud here haha

Actually, I just thought of something. I'm allergic to tree nuts. Would I even be able to use Shea Butter since it comes from a tree? Anyone with tree nut allergies care to weigh in?

• asteppsastepps Posts: 1Registered Users
    Shealoe and coconut oil mix well together you can also add a little sweet almond oil as well to lighten it up a bit. I've never tried the cornstarch before. I may have to look into that.
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    I can't use sweet almond oil because I'm allergic to tree nuts (this includes almonds)

• belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Laura Lee,

What type of coconut oil do you have. there are 2 kinds and one of them does not absorb quickly into the skin or hair, it actually forms a coating and doesn't easily absorb. So you want to make sure you have Virgin coconut oil, not fractionated coconut oil. If it doesn't say "virgin" on it, it is probably the other kind.

Also, if you melt your coconut oil and other ingredients in a double boiler you won't have to mash it up and it won't be chunky. Make sure you are using aloe extract, not aloe vera juice or gel. Aloe extract is in an oil base so will mix more easily with your coconut oil. You can easily mix shea, coconut oil, aloe extract and any other carrier oil you like. Melt it in a double boiler, then cool the mix in your fridge. Shea needs to cool quickly or it will turn grainy. If you don't use aloe extract your mix will serparate as it cools.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I use a hand mixer or the big mixer if I feel like dragging it out. My body butter is pretty simple - cocoa butter, shea butter, and whatever oils are around (jojoba, coconut, hempseed, sunflower, safflower. I don't add fragrance oils only because I love the smell of cocoa butter. I just melt, cool, mix til I get bored, and jar it up. Not very scientific but it works. And the stuff keeps for years.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    If you don't add water or anything water based, you don't need a preservative. Vitamin e oil will help keep it from going rancid. If you want to be on the safe side though, add some EO or grape fruit seed extract. Butters should last a while w/o going bad.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file