What to do about dry hair?

rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Registered Users Posts: 372
My brother has EXTREMLY dry hair. Its 4b/4a in texture and its short. Kinda like a TWA. When he picks it, it crunches and electricutes him (NOT kidding, you can hear the little shocks). What advice do you have for him to get soft, mosturized hair?
awnmvgt87.png
4a/OS/FN/Spongy
Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
I think my hair likes cones... :)

Comments

• ajnaajna Registered Users Posts: 494
    My son wold let his afro get like that. I started making him wash with conditioner (Aussie Moist) and then put olive oil on his hair while it was damp and that helped a TON. Plus it was simple so he could do it every day.

HTH
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • taltaltaltal Registered Users Posts: 614
    Olive oil. Apply just a little bit (about a teaspoon or less) of olive oil a few times a week to hair and scalp. It does wonders for dry hair. If he doesn't want the oily feeling on his hair, he can apply about an hour before washing his hair.
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Registered Users Posts: 364 Curl Neophyte
    DEEP CONDITION more often...thats imperitive!!

Moisturize more, or use a good leave in and seal it in with an oil of his choice....

Since he rocks an afro he may have to moisturise twice a day...morning and nite...

and tell him to wrap his hair up at night so the pillow doesnt suck up all the moisture...
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Registered Users Posts: 372
    Thank you guys for givin him advice! My mom said the same thing about deep conditioning. But I'll tell him about the wrapping at night and moisturizing during the day and at night. :) Thanx again.
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
    Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    definitely add a leave in conditioner.

Also see if you can get him to add a moisturizer and then seal in the moisturizer with an oil.

a satin wave cap similar to a ladies wrap cap would be great for protecting his hair at night.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • PatycurlsPatycurls Registered Users Posts: 13
    I was struggling with dry hair until I decided to give olive oil a try. I was hesitant because of the smell but it doesn't linger for me and you use just a little bit otherwise your hair can get too greasy. I have thick below shoulder length hair and at most I use is a 1/2 -1 tablespoon for my entire head after washing, conditioning, adding a light leave-in then the oil. I've heard that olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oils are a few of the oils that actually penetrate the hair.
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    Patycurls wrote: »
    ... I've heard that olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oils are a few of the oils that actually penetrate the hair.

You are correct Paycurls. Castor oil is excellent as well.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Registered Users Posts: 372
    His hair is a little softer from the olive oil, but i think he needs to use ALOT less next time. :) Thank you ladies!:toothy8:
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    His hair is a little softer from the olive oil, but i think he needs to use ALOT less next time. :) Thank you ladies!:toothy8:
    glad to hear/see he got improvement :occasion7:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Registered Users Posts: 1,494
    Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, and honey deep treatment.

U can also try avacodo and coconut milk treatment I always add a little olive oil to it too.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    How many guys do DTs? If you get your bro to do one, more power to ya, sis!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file