One naps, the other doesn't

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Any advice on how to get the 2.5 year old to be quiet so I can get the 8.5 month old to sleep while I'm home alone?
It is driving me to drink. TV isn't working and he is a very noisy, hands on kid. Little brother thinks big brother is the greatest, so anything that sounds vaguely interesting wakes him up. :protest:angry9:
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can you reason with him...tell him he has to be quiet because the baby is sleeping? Usually older sibs get the shhhh-baby-is-sleeping concept fairly easily. Even if the 2.5 year old doesn't nap, a kid that young should still be having an hour of "quiet time" each afternoon.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Sandhya sleeps with a pretty loud fan running in her room. There were times when I'd have to keep Karan in the basement or in the backyard until she fell asleep.

It gets better eventually. Karan is still LOUD but he understands the concept of quiet time now and plays computer or video games while Sandhya is napping.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Harry has issues that make this very difficult. He does not respond to his name most of the time, so instructions are hit or miss and then he has to be constantly reminded and redirected, which in turn, distracts Nathan. It's not the sleeping time, so much as the getting baby to sleep time that is the problem. Once Nate is asleep and H has 100% attention, it is fine.

He does have quiet time, but not for long. He is full throttle for 12+ hours a day. It is exhausting.

Edited to add: I nurse N to sleep for naps.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    White noise in the sleeping baby's room. My two year old naps, but we use it for both of them when they're sleeping. Helps them sleep through dogs barking and other random house noises too.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    We have downstairs playtime during nap. I also turn on a fan to drown out the noise.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I drive with them in the car until they fall asleep.
    hello.world.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    movies or favorite shows make a great babysitter at times!

:happy11:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mom2e3mom2e3 Posts: 73Registered Users
    I remember those days. It really IS enough to drive you to drink! I think I lived in such a fog then, I have no idea how I resolved it. Of course, my DS1 was more on the mellow side (in retrospect), and he could self entertain. With the two boys older (7 and 4), they have a better understanding of being quiet when I put their sister down.

Isn't that eight month mark when they start popping off the boob to look around at everything? Somehow, in the dark recesses of my mind, I remember that stopping.

Is there any one show that he's interested in for 15 minutes. That *might* be enough time, if you start on the first side, switch, then put the DVD in. Son 1 will be quiet enough for that short time, and maybe Son 2 will be milk drunk enough to just fall asleep.

That's all I got. Boys are hard.

Boys are hard.
    Mostly sure I'm a 2b/Mii
    Just starting out (and brining the entire family along for the ride):
    CO-wash...V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie
    Rinse-out Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Fortifying Cream Conditioner Moisture Works for Dry or Damaged Hair
    Leave-in Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream Sleek and Shine
    Gel...Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel
    Wish me luck!
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Are you nursing N to sleep with H in the same room, or laying down in bed with N while H plays in another room? Our house is childproofed enough that Sol can play unattended if I need to be in a different room with Abram. I would try that, with white noise in the bedroom (we use a humidifier in the winter and fan in the summer), and just leave the bedroom door cracked so Harry can come get you if he needs you.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    Are you nursing N to sleep with H in the same room, or laying down in bed with N while H plays in another room? Our house is childproofed enough that Sol can play unattended if I need to be in a different room with Abram. I would try that, with white noise in the bedroom (we use a humidifier in the winter and fan in the summer), and just leave the bedroom door cracked so Harry can come get you if he needs you.

We are doing same room. H is not trustworthy enough to be on his own for 10-15 minutes. (I can hear things crashing now!) Even if I left the room, he would be constantly in and out, so it's better to be in the same room. H's volume level seems to increase as N drifts off, though. It is maddening.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    H is not trustworthy enough to be on his own for 10-15 minutes. (I can hear things crashing now!)

I hear you... Sol is a wild man too. I actually know to go check on him when I don't hear anything - it usually means he's getting into some sort of mischief LOL. You said TV doesn't really work... Solomon likes watching music videos on Youtube and knows how to replay it if we leave the cursor in the right spot. That's a way to guarantee me a few minutes of peace, even though we don't really like him to watch TV and he's not interested anyway (except occasionally following the ticker at the bottom of the screen on ESPN).

Otherwise... I've got nothing. Maybe the car, as Webbie suggested, if he's relatively quiet in the car. Is there any new quiet activity he could entertain himself with? Play Dough? Writing all over the walls with a crayon? Solomon's always quiet when he's being mischievous... did I already mention that?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    We are doing same room. H is not trustworthy enough to be on his own for 10-15 minutes. (I can hear things crashing now!) Even if I left the room, he would be constantly in and out, so it's better to be in the same room. H's volume level seems to increase as N drifts off, though. It is maddening.

LOL, this is why Sandhya is such a great sleeper. I'd nurse her to drowsiness and literally drop her in crib and rush out of the room with Karan before he got too loud.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hmm...Maybe just go ahead and nurse N and put him in the crib...see if he will just learn to put himself to sleep instead of being nursed to sleep?

I'm not sure what else to do other than put H in his room with the gate while you nurse N in the other room with the door cracked open so you can hear anything? Of course they may share a room so that may not work. This is when you wish they still made those really big pack n plays for big kiddos. LOL!!!
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I was going to suggest quiet time, if he will do it. Audrey is 4 and I still send her to her room for quiet time. I need the break, especially since she is feisty.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file